PDA

View Full Version : California Duster

Pages : [1] 2

CASH XRS
03-06-2012, 03:21 PM
I searched but didn't really find this as a topic anywhere. How do you guys feel about the California Duster? I have heard both sides to it.

I washed my car on Sunday and have noticed some dust and pollen on it. Should I use my duster as a quick wipe down or use my Meg's quick detailer with one of my 80/20 microfibers?

Thanks for the suggestions!

5.4 Shelby
03-06-2012, 03:22 PM
I dont use them. I feel the dirt should be lubricated. So I use a quick detailer or waterless wash. My go to is Griots Spray on Car Wash.

I love my dash duster.

Rsurfer
03-06-2012, 03:25 PM
If your car is dark colored don't do it.
I searched but didn't really find this as a topic anywhere. How do you guys feel about the California Duster? I have heard both sides to it.

I washed my car on Sunday and have noticed some dust and pollen on it. Should I use my duster as a quick wipe down or use my Meg's quick detailer with one of my 80/20 microfibers?

Thanks for the suggestions!

CASH XRS
03-06-2012, 03:29 PM
If your car is dark colored don't do it.

OOOO poooo lol. I have a Navy Blue Toyota Matrix. I guess this explains all the tremendous amoutns of spider webbing and minor surface scratches? lol

Stang Man
03-06-2012, 03:37 PM
My parents have one, and I have used it.

I wouldn't GRIND it in, I have the tips of the fibers barely touching the surface, and even then I had only used it with VERY light dust, as if it had just been sitting in the garage for a week or two.

rider9195
03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Use a waterless or rinseless wash. Safer than using a dry duster.

badhemi
03-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Ok what happens when you take dust (light dirt that falls out of the sky) and drag it across your paint?

CASH XRS
03-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Ok what happens when you take dust (light dirt that falls out of the sky) and drag it across your paint?

hahaha, and this is why I was asking because this thought process has finally started to kick in.

Rsurfer
03-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Depends on how hard your clear is and what color. You can use a duster on a light colored car and get away with it. Try it on a soft black paint and you will get micro marring. Hell some soft paint will mar using a good soft micro fiber towel when clean.

5.4 Shelby
03-06-2012, 04:10 PM
The main reason I dont like dusters is because they grab and hold dirt. Unless you use a new one each time, you are potentially dragging that dirt across your paint with each swipe. I would much rather use a clean MF towel with lubricated dirt. You can turn the towels with each swipe and get a clean one when that one is out of clean sides.

CASH XRS
03-06-2012, 04:13 PM
The main reason I dont like dusters is because they grab and hold dirt. Unless you use a new one each time, you are potentially dragging that dirt across your paint with each swipe. I would much rather use a clean MF towel with lubricated dirt. You can turn the towels with each swipe and get a clean one when that one is out of clean sides.

That's what I figured. I usually swapped back and forth depending on how light the coating was. But it looks like I'm switching to QD all the time.

CleanGene
03-06-2012, 04:17 PM
I use one all the time in conjunction with a quick detailer on both my daily drivers without an issue. It's great for removing the light dust that hasn't bonded and increases the performance of the QD. Gently sweep the the fibers across the surface without applying any pressure and you'll be fine.

Detail_Dude
03-06-2012, 05:09 PM
I had a big one, scratched up my hood, then ditched it.

However....the mini-duster by the same brand works nice on my dash and other interior areas.

ssnobrakes
03-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Duster's are great if you use them correctly.........The dash duster is great to use before you use a dash cleaner/protectant. For the exterior I use it ONLY when there is light pollen/dust on the paint and the car is basically clean. You have to use it very lightly then use a good spray detailer.

vet
03-06-2012, 05:24 PM
I use it on light dust/film on my black truck if I don't have time to do a rinseless. I take it with me for parades, just in case, but usually do a QD if I have time.

They have their place, I just don't recommend them for routine maintenance. I keep a dash duster and mf in the console for those times when I'm waiting for the wife to come put of the store.