PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Car, should I avoid DA polisher?

Pages : [1] 2

robovalzuniga
03-06-2012, 11:10 AM
As a semi-newb to car detailing, I enjoy giving my car a proper wash and wax, cleaning the rims/tires/interior and so forth. However I was wondering if I should even consider getting a DA Polisher for waxing?

1. Can I use a DA for solely waxing my new car without it correcting the clear coat?

2. Is this overkill and should I only hand wax?

3. I am currently using Megs Ult Liquid wax, recommend any other easy to use wax, with decent results?

4. If you do recommend a DA, which one is beginner friendly?

LuxuryMobile
03-06-2012, 11:15 AM
You should absolutely get a DA. I recommend the Griots DA.

Waxing using a machine is a breeze. Keeps the coats nice and thin which will help when it is time to remove.

There is really a limitless number of waxes/sealants that are user friendly and give great looks and protection. I have been using Pinnacle Sig Series II lately.

And welcome to the forum!

RTexasF
03-06-2012, 11:23 AM
1. Yes
2. Overkill? Probably*
3. There are literally thousands
4. Griots or Porter Cable**

* If you never plan to use it for anything other than waxing I don't see it as a wise expenditure. If, down the road, you will use it for polishing, etc., then it's a worthy purchase.

** Again, waxing only? Buy the cheapest if you must have one. Think you'll one day use it for more than that? Griot's.

Mike Phillips
03-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Once you use a DA Polisher to polish or wax your car you'll wonder why you didn't step up to machine polishing sooner...

See this article,

The Free Floating Spindle Assembly - The Story Behind The Story... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23995-free-rotating-spindle-assembly-story-behind-story.html)

And these,

New to Machine Polishing?

How to choose the right polisher for your detailing project (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/22263-how-choose-right-polisher-your-detailing-project.html)

Video: How to pick the right polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/25695-show-car-garage-video-how-pick-right-polisher.html)

:)

badhemi
03-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Depends on how much time you want to save. Takes me about 15 minutes with a porter cable and about 30 minutes by hand.

NFA
03-06-2012, 11:36 AM
I only use a DA to apply waxes and sealants now. Like LuxuryMobile said, it spreads it nice and thin and evenly. It's also way faster then doing it by hand.

There are a lot of good waxes and sealants on the market, everyone will have their preference. I recently picked up a bottle of Collinite 845 and I apply it with a spray bottle. Using a PC7424XP and a red LC CCS pad on speed 3, I literally covered my Accord in 4 or 5 sprays. I spray directly onto the pad, never onto the paint itself. They are not kidding they say, a little goes a long ways.

Another forum favorite is Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant. You don't need a lot of this stuff either. I probably used less then 1/2 oz to do a full size Tundra. When dried, it is by far the easiest product that I have taken off.

If you are happy with the Megs Ultimate Wax, then I would rock on with it unless you want to try something else. Personally, I can not tell the difference in shine between wax A and wax B, same goes for sealants. What makes or breaks the appearance is the prep. I am switching gears and moving towards the more durable waxes and sealants.

Kristopher1129
03-06-2012, 11:38 AM
1. Can I use a DA for solely waxing my new car without it correcting the clear coat?

2. Is this overkill and should I only hand wax?

3. I am currently using Megs Ult Liquid wax, recommend any other easy to use wax, with decent results?

4. If you do recommend a DA, which one is beginner friendly?

1.) Of course. Use a wax/sealant spreading pad. Super soft, and won't do any correction.

2.) I don't think it's overkill at all. I never spread wax by hand anymore. The DA will leave a thinner layer of wax than you could by hand. Therefore making removal easier.

3.) There's tons of wax choices. I personally enjoy sealant over wax. But, I'm sure some others can recommend waxes for you.

4.) I would absolutely vote for the PC. Mainly because your concern seems to be more about spreading wax. If you decide to get into correction, or think you may in the future...I would say the Griots. But, even still...the PC in my opinion is a better wax spreader than the Griots. The Griots has the power, and will grow with you as you learn more about detailing. I enjoy both machines honestly. :dblthumb2:

robovalzuniga
03-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Thinking of going with the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher. Decent price, and you guys seem to be fond of it. Also my family members have been asking for me to do their cars, so I think I'll have an easier time saying yes when I can wax more effeciently with a DA.

Thanks for all your opinions, keep 'em coming if you have any more.

5.4 Shelby
03-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Thinking of going with the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher. Decent price, and you guys seem to be fond of it. Also my family members have been asking for me to do their cars, so I think I'll have an easier time saying yes when I can wax more effeciently with a DA.

That will be a good choice (so would the Griots). You can get benefit now for waxing. Down the road, you will likely want to start experiemnting with swirl removal. It is fairly easy and the results are very rewarding. The PC or GG will be able to grow with you and both should give you years of quality performance. I still use my PC 7424 that I bought about 11 or 12 years ago.

ski2
03-06-2012, 05:27 PM

Keep in mind the Groits is the only DA with a Lifetime Warranty and it is the most powerful of the DAs--it can handle anything you throw at it with the right pad and polish. Eventually you will want to do some correction and you may wish you had the extra power. I know it would be a pain to have to send it back for repair or replacement, but since you are a hobbyist like most of us it wouldn't be a problem. Imagine five years from now your unit fails--would you want to buy a new one or spend a few bucks on shipping for the repair????

flyinion
03-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Definitely get one. It will make wax/sealant application easier, and in a while your 2012 won't be new anymore and it WILL need correction. You'll already have the tool to do it and might just need to add a couple pads and a polish/swirl remover to do so. The bonus is with just a wax/sealer type pad you get the chance to get used to the machine before you try to do any correction with it.

Rix6
03-06-2012, 09:13 PM
DA polisher is not for new car owner to avoid, but to embrace!

:D

BWG707
03-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Will a DA polisher actually give you a better shine and gloss than what you could do by hand? I've always wondered about this.

flyinion
03-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Will a DA polisher actually give you a better shine and gloss than what you could do by hand? I've always wondered about this.

Basically, yes. If you're working on a vehicle that has some serious swirls, you might be able to get them out by hand but it could take you 100's of hours I'd guess.

robovalzuniga
03-06-2012, 11:16 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I was leaning towards the porter, but ended up getting the Meguiars g110v2 I called a detail supply near me, and they're giving me a deal, cheaper than Amazon!

I'm well aware of the QC issues with the unit, but cost is a big factor for me right now.

I can't wait to try this thing out on the weekend!
:)