PDA

View Full Version : Tiger-Stripes after polishing repainted panel

bigez
03-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Has anybody polished out a re-painted car and had it look way worse afterwards? I polished out a rear quarter panel that had been slightly repainted as a result of the body shop "blending in" the paint after they replaced the bumper.

Anyway, after I polished it, I noticed what has been described on here as "tiger striping", where you have patches of lighter and darker paint...ughh. It's a metallic color of course (silver).

I didn't use anything that aggressive..an orange pad and some Wolfgang TSR, and it was painted half a year ago.

I have to assume any crap work the body shop did has been sealed in with clear coat, right?-- or NO? Should I hit it with something more aggressive or will that make it worse? Because it seems like it did NOT look that bad until I polished it...

Edit:: It wasn't really noticeable until I pulled it out in the sun

oldmodman
03-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Did you get any paint transfer on your pads? If you did the shop used a one stage paint and it will never look right.

If it is a cleared two stage paint I have no advice to give.

I did own a Ford LTD II wagon back in the 70's that had a metallic one stage paint on it. And after many years of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax I finally had taken off enough paint so that I started getting lighter and darker spots. My repair method? A Tijuana paint job.