PDA

View Full Version : Just bought the Optimum MF polishing pads, question?

Klasse Act
03-05-2012, 08:57 PM
I just bought one 6.25" and one 3.25" to see what they're all about and had a couple questions:

1. Are these to only be used for polishing or can they infact be used for both polishing and applying wax?

2. Those who've used them, what's your take on the difference between the MF and foam?

3. Any difference on the cleaning of these compared to foam?

4. Please, add anything else you wanna add here, thanks!

fenderpicks
03-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I wanna know what's the hype about the MF pads as well....

CG been posting TONS of stuff about their new release MF pads....

5.4 Shelby
03-05-2012, 09:36 PM
not for wax. they have some cut.

Cut faster and finish nicer than foam.

Cleaning much better on the fly and after. I use air on the fly and machine wash/dry after.

CEE DOG
03-05-2012, 09:41 PM
See below in red

I just bought one 6.25" and one 3.25" to see what they're all about and had a couple questions:

1. Are these to only be used for polishing or can they infact be used for both polishing and applying wax?

I have not tried to use the finishing pads for applying wax. IN fact I only purchased the cutting pads. I look forward to others answers but I expect it would work fine.

2. Those who've used them, what's your take on the difference between the MF and foam?

I just started using them last weekend and almost put them down for good. Then I found my way with them when I picked them up a little later. Still have lots to learn and play with them but in a nutshell I think they take less effort to get good cut than foam pads do.

As far as finishing I think which one works better would depend on the flatness of the paint. Heavy orange peel I assume the foam would level the high points more than the mf would but the mf would gloss the low points better than foam would. Just my working theory in my head. I can't prove anything. For now I have stuck with foam for finishing.

3. Any difference on the cleaning of these compared to foam?

YES! This was where I found my largest save. I thought people talking about fluffing it with their air compressor was just thE cool new thing but after ignoring that advice I tried it myself when. Came back t these pads later in the day and it made all the difference. In fact I attach the AC trigger to my apron and just grab it after every two passes. Literally a few times per section.

4. Please, add anything else you wanna add here, thanks!

Klasse Act
03-05-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm not doing any cutting, only using Griot's Garage machine polish #2 and #3, am I ok there? Ofcoarse I have the GG random orbital as well, both 3 and 6" versions.

I appreciate ALL input on this matter, just wanna try something that may be a better option for me out there, thanks guys!

crxman2010
03-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Cut - It would be like waxing with a orange LC pad... For applying your wax you would want to stick with soft foam pad of some sort, plus I think the MF material would try to soak up more wax than some of the foamies...

You should be fine to use polish 2 and 3 with the pads, I haven't used either of them personally, but I have used poli, opti polish II....and never had any problems.

crxman2010
03-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Oh, and if seems like the center is getting matted down quickly and looking bad, cut back on the product, you are possibly using to much.

Like Cee Dog said, air compressor makes cleaning them a breeze, but if you don't have a compressor, a stiff nylon brush has also worked well for me (it was late at night and figure my neighbors were tired of hearing the compressor :D)

5.4 Shelby
03-05-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm not doing any cutting, only using Griot's Garage machine polish #2 and #3, am I ok there? Ofcoarse I have the GG random orbital as well, both 3 and 6" versions.

I appreciate ALL input on this matter, just wanna try something that may be a better option for me out there, thanks guys!
Cut refers to paint removal. Griots machine polish 2 has some decent cut. I have not tried it on Mf pads yet. I have gotten away from Griots polishes (and I am a huge fan of most of their products). There are better options out there (Megs and Menz).

I would try some Megs ultimate compound (or M105) on the cutting pads and Swirl X (or M205) on the polishing pads. Then, when you are satisfied, wax with red foam or by hand.

Another option is use the Megs D300 with cutting and D301 with finishing pads. If you are going to try these, try the Megs MF DA pads that go with them.

CEE DOG
03-05-2012, 11:29 PM
If you can apply a finishing polish with the mf finishing pads then why could you not apply a wax or sealant with it? They do not have cut where as the finishing polish does. Therefore if the pad was lubricated with product I submit it would only refine the finish further if anything while waxing.

On the other hand the thing that would make a foam pad better in my mind is that it's flat. A waxy type product would bind the fibers together possibly which would be the pitfall if anything. Only one way to find out for sure.

I'm arguing devils advocate and just stating what makes sense to me. I'm not saying I would like to wax the car with an mf but now that were discussing it I am very curious.

tw33k2514
03-05-2012, 11:44 PM
I tried applying BFWD with a MF finishing pad. I didn't like it. felt to grabby for me. I went back to foam.

sscully
03-06-2012, 12:22 AM
1. They are for cutting and polishing only from what I have read and from my use.
I don't think it is chance that they are yellow ( cut ) and white ( polish ) foam colors.
I would say it would be similar to trying to apply wax with a white foam pad ( LC color codes ).

Using the MF polish pad and Opti hyper polish, I get a defect removal that falls between the Megs MF maroon pad and compound and the black pad and "wax"

Stick with your red / blue / gold foam pads for applying the LSP.

2. I would say speed. I get the same ( or slightly more correction ) done using the MF polish pad alone than I can with a polish on white foam LC pads.

3. Use air between panels, and at the end I use the grit guard pad washer and the PC to wash them on PC speed 3.
DO NOT use a rotary on 1500 RPM to clean then like Foam pads. You will get away with this maybe once, and the 2nd cleaning, you will peel the MF material off the foam.
Want to guess how I know this ? :eek:

Just think of then in terms of the color ( to LC color scheme ) of the foam on them on you will be fine. The Polishing pad is not a a finishing pad it is a polishing pad.

If you follow up polish ( post defect removal ) with PO85RD, stick with a black pad for this.

5.4 Shelby
03-06-2012, 09:09 AM
If you can apply a finishing polish with the mf finishing pads then why could you not apply a wax or sealant with it? They do not have cut where as the finishing polish does. Therefore if the pad was lubricated with product I submit it would only refine the finish further if anything while waxing.

On the other hand the thing that would make a foam pad better in my mind is that it's flat. A waxy type product would bind the fibers together possibly which would be the pitfall if anything. Only one way to find out for sure.

I'm arguing devils advocate and just stating what makes sense to me. I'm not saying I would like to wax the car with an mf but now that were discussing it I am very curious.
I agree that you could apply wax with them, but, why would you want to? I know the Megs MF DA system finishes well with the finishing polish (that has wax in it). I have always applied wax with the least cutting pad I have. By the time I wax, the finish should be as good as it is going to get. I thnk using a cutting pad would potentially worsen the finish. Like someone said above, like waxing with a white LC pad.