PDA

View Full Version : Looking to coat but hamstrung by polishing

Favorite Planet
03-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Since joining the AG community over analysis has definitely been my m.o. I can't tell you the number of times I've finally settled on a system I'm going to use to detail my black F150 only to never follow through ordering any product.

I'm under no illusion when I say my truck will never look showroom perfect all of the time (I guess the truth of that statement is directly proportional to my skill level and dedication). My truck gets normal truck use. It's a daily driver, hauls mulch, dirt, rock, furniture/appliances and climbing/hiking gear, so it's going to see wear. I also live in the Columbus Metropolitan Area and for most of the year my car will have some kind of salt, dirt or chemical on it.

Since joining, I've been reading about what I should do. Should my system be:

Wash/Clay/Polish/Seal
Wash/Clay/Polish/Wax
Wash/Clay/Polish/Seal then Wax
Wash/Clay/Polish/Coat

At some point in my short existence here I've probably already settled on all of the above, but most recently I've definitely been interested in coating. From what I read (CEE DOG's insanely awesome review about CQ and OC in particular) it seems to be really durable (and if properly prepped it looks great too - at least IMO).

I have a new black F150 that has no visible swirling, but has a couple really fine scratches from daily driving and general wear. I know it will probably need clayed, which will lead to needing a polish, but I keep getting hamstrung at the polishing stage though.

Is it worth buying a DA polisher just to prep for a coating? Will there be any other uses for my polisher afterwards? Is it possible for a beginner to hand polish in order to coat?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated and hopefully would be able to assist any other newbie, thinking about coating, who doesn't own the tools.

Thanks guys!

FUNX650
03-05-2012, 04:01 PM
My truck gets normal truck use. It's a daily driver, hauls mulch, dirt, rock, furniture/appliances and climbing/hiking gear, so it's going to see wear.

I also live in the Columbus Metropolitan Area and for most of the year my car will have some kind of salt, dirt or chemical on it.

There's a couple Detailers on this forum from the Columbus, Ohio area...

Since joining, I've been reading about what I should do. Should my system be:

Wash/Clay/Polish/Seal
Wash/Clay/Polish/Wax
Wash/Clay/Polish/Seal then Wax
Wash/Clay/Polish/Coat

I like the ones I've highlighted in red.

At some point in my short existence here I've probably already settled on all of the above, but most recently I've definitely been interested in coating.

I have a new black F150 that has no visible swirling, but has a couple really fine scratches from daily driving and general wear. I know it will probably need clayed, which will lead to needing a polish, but I keep getting hamstrung at the polishing stage though.

Is it worth buying a DA polisher just to prep for a coating?

Yes!

Will there be any other uses for my polisher afterwards? Is it possible for a beginner to hand polish in order to coat?

Yes again...There will always be the need for "maintenance"...Plus you may want to do other vehicles for a little bit of money to defray your tools/products costs.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated and hopefully would be able to assist any other newbie, thinking about coating, who doesn't own the tools.

Thanks guys!

Hi...

I must ask if you're talking about one or two different trucks here. ("It's a daily driver" hauls mulch, dirt, rock, furniture/appliances and climbing/hiking gear, so it's going to see wear. ..."I have a new black F150")

Per Mike Phillips and many many others:
A machine will outperform man any time. (I personally wouldn't want to tackle a truck by hand again!)

Give somebody, like Nick, a call at AGO...they'll set you up with the appropriate "kit".

If you don't feel up to it, though, have someone from this forum in your area take a look at your vehicle(s).

Just a couple suggestions.

:)

Bob

Favorite Planet
03-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry, the way I worded it was a bit confusing. I purchased it this February and since then it has become my daily driver and will or has done those specific tasks.

I appreciate your feedback. I will definitely look at the various models of polishers to see what I may need. From what I read a Porter Cable may be the most generious to us beginners.

I may actual wash/clay (if needed)/polish/seal for a while to get used to the polisher and then when I am comfortable with how to properly polish my truck make the step up to the coating.

I really like how the coatings function and to me they look great and provide awesome durability.

Hopefully pretty soon I can track my progress with some pictures and show everyone how I'm coming along.

FUNX650
03-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry, the way I worded it was a bit confusing. I purchased it this February and since then it has become my daily driver and will or has done those specific tasks.

I appreciate your feedback. I will definitely look at the various models of polishers to see what I may need. From what I read a Porter Cable may be the most generious to us beginners.

I may actual wash/clay (if needed)/polish/seal for a while to get used to the polisher and then when I am comfortable with how to properly polish my truck make the step up to the coating.

I really like how the coatings function and to me they look great and provide awesome durability.

Hopefully pretty soon I can track my progress with some pictures and show everyone how I'm coming along.

I have a new black F150 that has no visible swirling, but has a couple really fine scratches from daily driving and general wear.

-You've done a pretty good job at keeping a lot of paint blemishes at bay, then...{I'll bet you'll do even better with a PC.}

-Please do keep us posted with pics and write-ups.

:)

Bob

PS: Think about giving Nick a call?

Favorite Planet
03-05-2012, 05:03 PM
It's my first new car purchase so I've been trying to be as careful as possible with it. But it's a truck and one of these days the paint will find that out the hard way I'm sure =]

I'm definitely excited to start and will definitely post pics of my progress as I learn. Granted they won't be anything like the typical reviews on here (especially Corey's) but more of a newbie's trial by fire guide.

I'll definitely give him a call as I'm rathering clueless on the different polishing tools and accessories that I will need.

As for sealants I was leaning towards BFWD. I hear a lot of good things about it, so I will probably just use the BF kit, just to stick with one type of product to make it simpler.

As for coating I like the claim that OC2.0 makes of lifetime protection but I admit I haven't read much about CQuartz yet.

Kaban
03-05-2012, 05:18 PM
A polisher is always a good investment. You don't need a Flex or other expensive machines since you're only doing your own truck. A PC or a Griots da polisher will pay for itself many times.

umi000
03-05-2012, 11:35 PM
You don't want to polish your car by hand - it'll take much time and effort, and the results likely won't match what you can get with a machine. Another option would be to go to a detailer and have them polish and coat your car, and you just perform regular maintenance, but that option may be more expensive than actually getting a machine (along with the required pads and product).