PDA

View Full Version : 1st detail soon, a few questions

Larry S
03-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Hello all,

Receiving all my goodies in several different orders. I'll be doing my Black 2010 Toyota Corolla. Waiting for some more goods and decent weather. The days seem to be dragging.

I've decided on the Pinnacle ultra clay special, Wolfgang Trio, using PC and LC flat 5.5 pads, (Thanks Mike), orange ,white and blue.

Now, a few questions.

I know there is a coat of wax on the car, what kind of wash (what to use?) do I do to prep for polishing?

Do I polish the plastic bumpers also with the PC?

What is the formula for an IPA? after polishing.

OPC for the engine compartment?

There seems to be some kind of black tar or leftover sticky stuff from the previous balancing on 1 of my aluminum wheels, got some off with DP wheel and scrubby, not coming off easy, any ideas?

I thought I'd finish with 2 coats WGDGPS, and go from there. There seems to be many who say do that and call it a day. I do have some WG deep gloss spritz sealant to use after.

Well that seems to be it. I do very much appreciate all the feedback and advise I've been getting.

Thank,
Larry

Larry S
03-05-2012, 08:48 AM
I sure would really appreciate any feedback on these questions.

Thanks,
Larry

BobbyG
03-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Hello all,

Receiving all my goodies in several different orders. I'll be doing my Black 2010 Toyota Corolla. Waiting for some more goods and decent weather. The days seem to be dragging.

I've decided on the Pinnacle ultra clay special, Wolfgang Trio, using PC and LC flat 5.5 pads, (Thanks Mike), orange ,white and blue.

Now, a few questions.

I know there is a coat of wax on the car, what kind of wash (what to use?) do I do to prep for polishing?

Basic steps in order are:

Wash
Clay
Paint Correction & Polish
Seal
Wax

Adding some all purpose cleaner to the wash will aid in removing any left over wax.
Once the washing is complete clay each panel throughly ensuring that you've removed the embedded particles and debris that's likely left after washing.
Wolfgang's Paintwork Polish Enhancer is a great way to clean the finish removing oxidation and in general brighten the paint.
I'm not sure what other products you have or if you intend to polish the finish.

Do I polish the plastic bumpers also with the PC?

If they are painted to match the vehicle then yes.
If they are dull plastic trip then no.

15% Isopropyl Alcohol and water or use some thing like CarPro Eraser or Klean Strip Prep-All

OPC for the engine compartment?

Yes. Spray it on, let sit for a few minutes then with various brushes start scrubbing. A pressure washer comes in handy here.

There seems to be some kind of black tar or leftover sticky stuff from the previous balancing on 1 of my aluminum wheels, got some off with DP wheel and scrubby, not coming off easy, any ideas?

Meguiar's Wheel Brightener works well on most wheels with the exception of bare or non-coated aluminum.

Meguiar's Body Wash is another great product for removing tar, bugs abd the like.

I thought I'd finish with 2 coats WGDGPS, and go from there. There seems to be many who say do that and call it a day. I do have some WG deep gloss spritz sealant to use after.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant is a nice sealant. I apply it using my Porter Cable 7424 polisher and a red foam pad. A speed setting of 3 is adequate for applying most sealants and waxes. Be sure to allow 12 hours for the sealant to cure before adding that second coat.

Well that seems to be it. I do very much appreciate all the feedback and advise I've been getting.

Thank,
Larry

No problem!

Mike Phillips
03-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Hello all,

See this article,

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

Note I don't endorse the procedure and clearly state to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for applying your choice of LSP, that is car wax, paint sealant or coating.

I only wrote the article a year after asking for anyone else to take on the task and there were no takers. (I state that in the article too)

:xyxthumbs:

Larry S
03-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Thanks Bobby & Mike,

I think I might skip the IPA part, read some articles from Mike and I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

The Megs remover you mentioned is only available in Gallons, I really couldn't use all that cleaner. I need to come up with something I can get locally, I've pretty much got everything coming from AG that I need for now, I think.

Thanks for all the tips.

Larry

Cosmin
03-06-2012, 11:48 PM
if is your first detail and is a black car , than be ready to spend 2 days on it ;)

Jomax
03-06-2012, 11:53 PM
if is your first detail and is a black car , than be ready to spend 2 days on it ;)

Four days for my black truck then?

Cosmin
03-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Four days for my black truck then?

2 should be enough , depends what needs to be done to it :D , you can always detail a detail car :)))

Jomax
03-07-2012, 01:49 AM
2 should be enough , depends what needs to be done to it :D , you can always detail a detail car :)))

Work truck/DD/ weekend in the desert. That has scratches from offroading, work, idiot friends, not too bad :)

Larry S
03-07-2012, 08:31 AM
I put in for 2 days off next week.

Clay
WG duo
WGDGPS

Anyone have any experience with WG deep gloss spritz sealant?

Thanks,

Larry

sal329
03-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Looks like Bobby answered the questions. I would add since you have OPC mix it 3:1 and pre soak the car to help remove the old wax. After polishing I would use the paint work cleaner and not IPA.

barryscott
03-09-2012, 01:20 AM
I put in for 2 days off next week.

Clay
WG duo
WGDGPS

Anyone have any experience with WG deep gloss spritz sealant?

Thanks,

Larry

Have used WG spritz sealant after washes. Great stuff.:props: