PDA

View Full Version : Had really bad luck with Megs MF pads, wrong technique?

szjalo
03-04-2012, 02:08 PM
After seeing many ppl swear by MF pads, I picked up some and tried the first time with my GG6 polisher and 5 inch LC backing plate. The pads used are Meg's 5 inch cutting pads. However there are the problems I had with it:

1\ Pads are heated quickly: usually after around 4 section passes. I know this is prob because of the LC backing plate.

2\ Lesser correction than LC hydro pads. I 2500grit sand down an area, did a 50/50 with Microfiber and LC hydro pads. Used Megs ultimate compound. I was ready to see the amazing correct ability of MF pads. However with 4 section passes, MF didn't remove all sanding marks, actually MF pads left a lot of remaining sanding marks(4500-5000rpm on GG6). Either Cyan or Tangerine gave an almost perfect finishing around 2 passes.

3\ products dry way too fast with MF pads? I only tested the ultimate compound, which drys slower than M105. With HT pads, I have no problem working the chemical for 6+ passes, and still be able to remove with ease. With MF pads, after around 3-4 passes, I HAVE to use IPA to wipe down the dried chemicals on paint. The comparison is made on the same panel, same time of the day, so the temperature should be the same. Both MF pads and HT pads were primed before using

4\ Lose fibers: not a lot, but still noticeably, MF pads lose fibers now and then.

5\ Foam quickly worn out: I end up using the MF pads to do half of the trunk. After that I notice the foam already started to wear out. Although it's not significant and the pads are absolutely usable, Still it annoys me a lot.

6\ Hard to make the pad rotate? with 4500-5000rpm on GG6'', I can make the MF pad rotate with low pressure, but with medium pressure, the pads stopped rotation immediately. To compare with, with LC HT pads, not a single problem when using medium or high pressure.

All in all, that's all the problems I found with Meg's MF pads, I wonder if I used totally wrong technique, or is UC totally incompatible with the MF pads(haven't tried M105 yet)? so here is the way I used the pads:

Polisher: Griot's garage 6 in polisher
Compound: Meg's Ultimate compound
MF pads: 5'' cutting pads, 4500-5000rpm, primed, light pressure. Pads rotated most of time
LC HT pads(both Cyan and Tangerine), 5000rpm-6000, primed, medium pressure, pads rotated all the time

Feed back please

crxman2010
03-04-2012, 02:42 PM
I did a black civic using the Megs MF system 5" with D300 and D301 with a Griots "6 with correction speed of 4.5-5.5 generally.

1. I didn't notice any heat issues but I wasn't looking for them.
2. I haven't used the cyan pad (just crimson/tangerine) but far as correction, I was impressed how well the system removed the defects in black paint that was 6-7 years old. I did not remove all defects, I just did 3-4 passes and what was still there was still there.
3. I have used D300/D301/Poli-Seal and haven't had any problems with these drying to the paint for being difficult to use.
4. For the first couple panels I had some fibers floating around, but it stopped after a couple panels. Guessing this is the nature of the beast.
5. I have done two cars with my Megs MF pads and my pads are still looking good, not showing any signs of failure yet.
6. I did not have any problems with pad failing to rotate when the da was kept level. The first car I did with the MF/Griots was the first car I ever used on a DA on so I did experience the pad stopping from time to time but it generally because of an odd angle. At speed 5, I had to apply a good amount of pressure to slow the pad, but it was not finicky about stopping rotation.

tw33k2514
03-04-2012, 02:56 PM
I think your problem may be your backing plate. Supposedly the Meg's plate makes the pads run cooler.

I've never tested it with Any other backing plate though...

Everything else you are doing seems fine.

sal329
03-04-2012, 03:30 PM
I have had great success with mf pads. I have used m105/300, hd uno, all with meg cutting disc and griots da speed 3.5-5. Only problem was when my cg backing plate messed up. Now I use opt bp with Meg or opt mf pads and love it. I used Meg mf cutting disc and uno to remove 2500 grit wet sand marks