PDA

View Full Version : Clay residue

Widetrack
03-04-2012, 10:03 AM
I washed and started claying my black '86 Nissan yesterday and noticed that the clay was leaving a residue behind. The residue wouldn't wipe off with a MF. I made sure I was using plenty of lube and I don't think I was pressing too hard. Any ideas on how to remove it?

BobbyG
03-04-2012, 10:08 AM
You can simply wash it off with your favorite car wash or use a waterless wash to remove any residue...

Shawnw
03-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Do you have any paint cleaner you can use with a DA? Sounds to me like what you're seeing is marring, and hat should clean it up.

What kind of clay were you using? Some of the more aggressive clays can/will mar the paint.

Widetrack
03-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Do you have any paint cleaner you can use with a DA? Sounds to me like what you're seeing is marring, and hat should clean it up.

What kind of clay were you using? Some of the more aggressive clays can/will mar the paint.

It does look like marring to me. I used Megs "Mirror Glaze mild detailing clay". I don't have a DA (yet), but I'm thinking of taking the plunge.

tomsteve
03-04-2012, 10:51 AM
my method may be a little different than others, but it's been working. when i clay, i dont go crazy wiping off the residue. after clayed, i wash the vehicle thoroughly and dry with a blower.
take the plunge! get a DA!!