PDA

View Full Version : new member with some questions

Pages : [1] 2

csmith46
03-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Neat forum - I am a member of the corvette forum and this is a great addition.

Two questions: I got a bunch of microfiber towels at Costco and after a bit of use they seem rough in texture and I wonder if they will add fine lines in the paint? I use them for drying along with a water blade. Maybe they are just cheap or do all of them get rough feeling? What is better?

Second, I have a random orbital buffer and got some ssr1 poorboy's world super swirl remover. It does not seem to be able to remove swirls and spider lines. I use zano for wax. I am not sure what product will get rid of the swirls without dulling the whole paint job so I don't want to use something too abrasive, but the ssr1 won't cut it.

Any suggestions are welcome. I don't mind doing a two stage job and then wax but don't want to scew up the paint.

Thanks in advance

ScottB
03-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Nice to see a member of the corvetteforum ....

1. Microfibers sold in large bulk are usually Korean made and the quality is lacking in most towels. I would highly suggest spending some money on some good quality ones. (Cobra Ultra plush) I would also get into washing them seperately, using a detergent specific to microfibers, no fabric softner, and very low heat.

You can always try and spot test your towels. Use them on the back of a cd. Wipe in a circle or back and forth and then look at the cd in the light. Not the best test, but surely works in a pinch.

2. Poorboys SSR 1.0 is truly a last step polish, or what I like to call a jeweling polish. Really amps up a finish that is already considered done or polished. In most cases with a PC and swirls on a finish, you are going to need something strong like SSR 2.5 or Optimums Polish. For real bad swirls, you might even need SSR 3.0 or Optimum Hyper Polish. After using these, then use the 1.0 to help finalize the surface. Then protect the hard work with the fav sealant or wax of your choice.

csmith46
03-05-2006, 01:29 PM
thanks lots. i will give it a try

cwcad
03-05-2006, 03:06 PM
killrwheels gave some very good advice.

Proper washing and drying techniques will also become invalueable to you as time goes on.

One suggestion that I would make is to retire the water blade. The saving of time in drying is mitgated by the potential of marring that most certainly will occur over time. That marring will later make polishing more time consuming.

Bluesbrekr
03-05-2006, 05:19 PM
+1 for investing in good quality MF toewls. I have a wide variety, but use the Costco/WalMart ones for wheels, door jambs etc.

I have had very good luck with the Poorboy's SSR's. Definately buy the grades you don't have. I use the 2 and 2.5 the most for removing swirls.

5000XD
03-05-2006, 05:59 PM
I have the same thing with my towels feeling 'rough', I wonder though if its not just something microfiber towels do, especially if they get older?!

About removing swirls, I bought the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish. Still need to receive them so I can't give any feedback right now but what I read they should work wonders.

Hemin8r
03-06-2006, 02:58 PM
On removing the swirls & lilght scratches don't forget to use the correct cut pad as well. I noticed that makes a big difference. Everyones given pretty good advice so far.

5000XD
03-06-2006, 06:00 PM
On removing the swirls & lilght scratches don't forget to use the correct cut pad as well. I noticed that makes a big difference. Everyones given pretty good advice so far.

You know I've been looking at all those different pads but to be honest I'm a little scared to use them with the orbital on my new car :o
Need some more practise on the older ones :p

Miami_Sunset
03-07-2006, 03:57 AM
I have the same thing with my towels feeling 'rough', I wonder though if its not just something microfiber towels do, especially if they get older?!

tried every top brand MF. & in my experience MF's will get stiff over time. I use the Pinnacle, micro-restore, Charlie soap & the paks' detergent. They all work awesome But like i stated over months of using MF towels they will get a little stiff. :)

5000XD
03-07-2006, 05:50 AM
But like i stated over months of using MF towels they will get a little stiff. :)

Aha, thats what I thought :D

MailMan17
03-07-2006, 07:00 AM
I like the Pinnacle Mico Restorer for washing my towels. If you buy it by the gallon and use your discount , its a pretty cool deal. At last count I have 22 microfiber towels and 6 waffle weave towels.

Miami_Sunset
03-07-2006, 08:26 PM
I only have 3 waffle weaves & 20 Quality MF towels. but i will only stock up on COBRA qulaity towels ,because IMO i have not found a better brand.

BlkTac05
03-07-2006, 11:08 PM
You know I've been looking at all those different pads but to be honest I'm a little scared to use them with the orbital on my new car :o
Need some more practise on the older ones :p

My advice is to always start with the least aggressive polish & pad as possible. If that doesn't do the trick, experiment with different pad/polish combos until you achieve the desired result. In some cases a mild, low abrasive polish & a lite cutting pad might do the trick. In other cases maybe a heavy cut pad & low abrasive polish. ( and so on......) Other factors that may cause you to adjust your plan of attack could be your exisitng paints condition,degree & type of paint defect, age,paint type,hardness,single stage or clear coated paint,paint thickness and even color of paint. (just to name a few) As for paint type.......In my experiences, GM paint seems much "harder" than say my 2005 Toyota Tacomas' paint. ( soft as heck, by the way. It's marring even as we speak!) Take your time & enjoy the experimentation!:D

BlkTac05
03-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Buffer speed is also a factor in paint defect removal. Move your buffer very slowly over the surface of your paint. Let the machine do it's job. Pause from time to time to access your progress.

BILL
05-10-2006, 09:16 AM

About removing swirls, I bought the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish. Still need to receive them so I can't give any feedback right now but what I read they should work wonders.

how do you like the PASR..???