PDA

View Full Version : Portable compressed air with a twist!

natesmobiledetailing
03-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Hello AGO this is my first post and my apologies if this is in the wrong place but I wanted to share my idea and see what you all think.

I've been detailing on the side for quite some time now and have always been an entrepreneur. So I decided to make something out of my passion of detailing cars and make some real money doing so. I have the tools to do a detail in the shop but not mobile which is what I'm in the process of getting around.

I was thinking of an alternative to have compressed air for blowing out crevices, vents, etc. I won't be using my tornador unfortunately but I can manage until I can afford a nicer rig.
So instead of buying a new compressor that will fit in my Crown Vic along with the shop vac and inverter/generator I was brainstorming an idea. Here is what I came up with.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kauffmannl56/co2air.jpg

Its a 150 fixed psi regulator with a quick connect, hooked up to a 20oz paintball tank that I had laying around. It works great for short bursts of air and the entire set up only cost me like 80 bucks(I already had the tank). Benefits: Quiet, very portable, no moving parts(reg if anything), cost effective for start up IMO.
Cons: Limited air(haven't tested how long it will last)

Let me know what ya think. Thanks!!

Vegas Transplant
03-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Ingenuity - the mother of invention.

Matt
03-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Good thinking. Could also be good for using to clean DA MF polishing pads when mobile detailing.

Hopefully you find it suitable.

Jacob Perry
03-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Arent those kinda expiensive?

natesmobiledetailing
03-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Which part? The tank, Reg, or adapter?

scrubs147
03-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Bong???

FUNX650
03-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Its a 150 fixed psi regulator with a quick connect, hooked up to a 20oz paintball tank that I had laying around. It works great for short bursts of air

Kudos to you, your invention, and creative mind...Great to be able to use 'existing materials' to defray start-up-costs.

Just a suggestion...Hope you don't mind.

I would definitely keep intact: This unit's previously intended attachments (paint-gun/paint-balls, etc.)...For those "special occasions" that would call for an invitation to surly customers to participate in your preselected "War Games".

:)

Bob

ExoticAutoDetai
03-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Neat invention but I really don't see this being useful. Other than the limited air, keep in mind you have to spend gas to drive to a spot to get it refilled. Also you would have to pay for it as well every time it gets refilled. Might as well invest in a air compressor.

mattmatt483
03-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Nice idea man but down where I live it's like $4 to fill a 20 oz co2 tank I believe so the question is it worth the price? If it lasts for a while then that's a pretty good alternative you have there until you buy a compressor, heck even if it don't last long that's still a neat idea you have there

Rix6
03-04-2012, 05:58 AM
Nice idea man but down where I live it's like $4 to fill a 20 oz co2 tank I believe so the question is it worth the price? If it lasts for a while then that's a pretty good alternative you have there until you buy a compressor, heck even if it don't last long that's still a neat idea you have there
Gee, last time I filled my 20 lb CO2 tank it cost me like $8.

If I were into paintball, I would be filling my 20oz tanks from my big tank.

If filled with air, that tank won't last long at all worth jack (looks like the same size as a 9-cubic foot pony bottle. That's 9 cubic feet at at 3000 psi).

If filled with CO2, it's going to have a very short duty cycle because it will cool down fast as you vent gas. Before you know it, the pressure of the gas head in that bottle is going to drop far below 150 psi until the bottle can soak up some heat.

For the amount of gas you can carry in that bottle, I just can't see getting any appreciable amount of work done.