PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 7424 vs Griot's new 3 inch Random Orbital Polisher

tguil
03-02-2012, 04:48 PM
I presently use a Porter Cable 7424 for most of my polishing and wax applications. On my Harleys, I change over to a 3.5 inch backing plate and four inch pads...not necessarly the handiest thing to do. I know that the 3 inch polisher will be much lighter than the PC, but will it "get-r-done" as well as the PC? I've used my Porter Cable for about eight years with no problems. Can I expect the same of the Griot polisher?

Tom :cool:

cmichael258
03-02-2012, 05:17 PM
I have the 7424 and the Griot's 3 inch. It's great for tight places but bogs down if you put much pressure on it.

5.4 Shelby
03-02-2012, 10:46 PM
I use my 7424 for small pads. I pretty much only use the 3 in GG for dampsanding and headlights.

Houckster
04-04-2012, 04:17 PM
It should be noted that a 2nd generation of the Griot 3" polisher is now available and is more powerful than the first. It has some additional refinements. I have placed an order for this polisher and I'll submit comments after I've had a chance to test it out.

ScottB
04-04-2012, 04:39 PM
It should be noted that a 2nd generation of the Griot 3" polisher is now available and is more powerful than the first. It has some additional refinements. I have placed an order for this polisher and I'll submit comments after I've had a chance to test it out.

is this the 2nd generation or 3rd ??? I remember the original squared off version and then the newer rounded model. Are you saying that one is also now been updated recently ??

Houckster
04-05-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm unfamiliar with the history of this tool. The comments I made were based on the Mike Phillips review provided by Auto Geek. From the comments, I seems the current version is a second generation version.

Mike Phillips Reviews the New Griots Garage 3" Polisher. (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-3inch-polisher-review.html)

Houckster
04-09-2012, 04:47 PM
I just received the Griot 3" random orbital polisher and I have to say this tool is going to get a lot of use. It is very comfortable, it is invaluable for getting in smaller areas that a Cyclo or the 6" random orbital can't reach and it seems very well built. Being able to use a random orbital more frequently will save a lot of work since I it lays down such a nice thin coat of product.

I have a 4" backing plate that it will accept as well and the polisher seems strong enough to drive it effectively.

I count this as one of my wiser investments.:dblthumb2: