PDA

View Full Version : BLACKFIRE/845/anything else experts, need advice

Crashpuppy
03-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Greetings, all,

I'm getting ready to do a proper full detail on my '12 Hyundai Accent GLS (Marathon Blue with 16" factory alloys), and could really use some direction.

The detail will have to be done by hand, since my condo parking deck has no accessible electrical outlets. In addition, I have a heart condition which will not prevent me from doing the detail, but which will greatly slow down any many-step process. So I'm looking for a fairly simple process that doesn't involve a lot of correction (very minor swirls here and there, and no apparent scuffs or marring).

I'm considering two options. Both start out with a good stripping wash with CG CWG at 2 oz. per gallon of water (I did manage to get two coats of Colli 845 on it before winter), then a dose of IronX for deep-cleaning, and finally claying for surface contamination. There's where I grind to a stop.

I'm leaning now toward BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal, followed by a coat of Crystal Seal (both applied to wheels as well as paintwork), then maintained with WD Polymer Spray every couple of weeks, with a complete stripping and repeat every 3 or 4 months.

I have also thought about SONAX Premium Class Paint Cleaner, then two coats of 845 (a day apart) as a stand-alone, with one booster coat every 3 months and a complete strip & repeat every 6 months, and some kind of spray sealant/wax (WDPS or AquaWax?) periodically along the way.

Any thoughts on these or any other strategies/products would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for any ideas,
Crashpuppy

07gtcs
03-02-2012, 02:44 PM
I am new to the BF line as well. Done almost the same thing to my truck almost a month ago. I love the Poly Spray after a wash. If your cramped for space I would add either the BF waterless wash or rinseless wash to your routine. They all seem to play well together and you shouldn't need a strip down and re-do untill getting ready for winter again.
Just my beginner two cents worth.

Crashpuppy
03-02-2012, 03:21 PM
07gtcs,

Thnaks for the input on the BF stuff. It really is tempting to give it a try... some of samples picture I've seen here and elsewhere are terrific with a fairly bright color, as my blue is in natural light (which, unfortunately, we get little of here in Pittsburgh).

Oddly enough, our parking deck does have a space reserved for car washing, with a hose with sprayer and everything!. They just didn't put any electrical outlets in an accessible place. Apparently, water here is a lot cheaper than electricity!

rider9195
03-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Hey Crashpuppy,

It sounds like you are on the right track. But I'll put my advice in on some things. You will be okay with using the Citrus Wash & Gloss at 1 oz. per gallon. It will get the paint clean no problem. Since you are doing this by hand the BF TPS should work fine. It may take a while compared to machine but you must work with what you have. Since you will be topping that with Crystal Seal and then maintaining that with the Polymer Spray, you should have no reason to redo all those steps in the next 3-4 months. If anything, every 1-2 months, wash and apply another coat of Crystal Seal. The surface should be very clean as long as you wash weekly and use the Polymer Spray.

Crashpuppy
03-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks, Rider, for the input.

I was looking at the TPS and Crystal Seal again over at the AG store, and it really does look like I might be going that way very soon. Doesn't get a whole lot easier than that for the result you end up with.

I assume that with a booster coat of CS every month or two, the full detail extravaganza could be spread out at least to Spring and Fall (6 months between). Just another reason to go that way...

bobble
03-02-2012, 04:07 PM
@Crash

The BF line is very hand applied friendly, I use BFWD on dark colors. My only advice would be to make sure you apply as thin as possible and try and keep the vehicle dry for the first 24 hours. Frankly if you got 845 on thin enough for no removal issues by hand you'll be fine with BF line same way.
Where are you located, maybe someone on here can give you a helping hand. If in Socal I'd be more than happy. G

Crashpuppy
03-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the advice, bobble. THIN and 24 hours it is.

You're not kidding about 845 and applying thin. I finally resorted to heating it until it was about the consistency of tap water, then putting a spray head on it and applying it like BF CS - one spray per average-sized panel. It hazed quickly and came off very easily with no holograms or other issues. It is still beading after 4 months and an unusually mild Pittsburgh, PA winter, and might have another month or month-and-a-half left. But the spray head was the key, and at least I now I know how thin, "thin" really is!

BTW, if I were in SoCal, I, too, would be more than happy, with or without detailing help!;)