PDA

View Full Version : Road Paint!! I Searched But Nothing Worked!

Pages : [1] 2

ShineTimeDetail
03-01-2012, 11:29 PM
So I had a Mercedes today that had road paint all down the rocker panel. I used Lacquer thinner, I used heat, mineral spirits, some other body solvent stuff I have(not Meguiars) and nothing worked. Its silver paint and that stuff is on there good!!

Any other suggestions?

Agfan
03-01-2012, 11:37 PM
you sure its not cement? If so that stuff will not budge at all= repaint.

ShineTimeDetail
03-01-2012, 11:40 PM
It's not. She said she knew exactly where and when. It's like s year old.

Agfan
03-02-2012, 12:04 AM
hmm lacquer thinner on a towel always worked for me. cement can look a lot like white road paint and can really frustrate the hell out of you til you find out nothing works.try a plastic blade and if nothing even chips off then its definitely cement. And im sry to say but the customer isnt always right.lol good luck!

jpegs13
03-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Road paint is a thermoplastic material. Try a blowdryer to soften it up, then mineral spirits

Agfan
03-02-2012, 12:07 AM
^^^he did.lol

jpegs13
03-02-2012, 12:08 AM
^^^he did.lol

Geeze, it's late.... time for bed

Agfan
03-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Geeze, it's late.... time for bed

haha i hear ya.

Larry A
03-02-2012, 09:14 AM
You can try a plastic razor, but be careful.

ShineTimeDetail
03-02-2012, 09:17 AM
I tried the razor blade. I know its not cement. You can tell the texture difference between the 2.

StephenK
03-02-2012, 09:58 AM
with everything you have tried already if it was road paint it should have came off already. i am stumped

ShaunD
03-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Have you tried sanding? I would dry sand and as you get closer to the paint/clear coat switch to damp/wet sanding. May be the quickest method with the most control available to you. You can try a metal razor if you are comfortable with that. If you have ever used a razor on glass then you should be able to duplicate that method on paint and not gouge the paint. To be safe with a razor you can tape the corners to keep them from catching/cutting. You can also try softening the paint with a solvent then scrape with a plastic/metal razor. Just my thought of what would work quickest and allow you to have some control.

JBL
03-02-2012, 10:19 AM
I keep posting this answer to the road salt issue in hopes that someone with more chemical knowledge than I have can decipher it.

Years ago, I ran over fresh road paint (unsure of the type...NJ state road if it helps any), and it wouldn't budge. For years, I left it, not knowing what would remove it and not the paint/clear. One day in the winter, I kicked a chunk of ice/muck/road salt/calcium(?) off of my car from the front fender well and around it, and *POOF* all of the road paint came off with it.

Maybe it was time? I don't know, but the way it moved and with what I tried to get it moving, I can only imagine that the road treatment and the chemicals used had something to do with it.

SRTSean
03-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Maybe dry ice would pop it off?

sohail99
03-02-2012, 11:28 AM
^Maybe using a inverted air duster can, will cool the surface with the propellant and then take it off!