PDA

View Full Version : How many times can u polish with a 7424?

swanicyouth
03-01-2012, 12:09 PM
I know there is no universal answer, but in general, does anyone know how much clear coat a moderate polish removes using an orbital polisher like a 7424 on factory paint? The reason I'm asking is, I saw this Internet guy who claims polishing using devices like this drastically thins you finish and can reduce the "depth" and clarity. But, I thought those two subjective terms were only achieved from a good polishing. I know it depends on how much, what products, and how often... But for a regular hobbyist dealing with factory paint who likes to polish 2-4x a year using the Wolfgang twins with a 7424; am I doing any long term damage? I just polished and found a few RIDs in different lighting and am debating on wether or not going back and fixing them is thinning my finish too much an I should leave them alone. Everything I learned I learned here at AutoGeek and watching Mikes videos, and to be honest so far all his ideas and techniques have really worked and helped me, so I trust what you guys say. Or, can you polish with an orbital as frequently as you want with moderate polishes and not worry about it? I'm sure there are guys out there who have been polishing there own cars for years. What's your experience?

shoeless89
03-01-2012, 12:43 PM
I haven't been polishing my car long enough to really know for sure but I know there are guys on here that have been doing it a 1-4 times a year for 7 or so years and are still fine. As far as the few RIDS, if its a DD I would just let it be. I kept my car as near perfect as I could for a while but eventually I realized I'll just have to learn to live with the occasional rid or swirl. I polish my car about twice a year. Once now after winter and toward the end of fall.

fenderpicks
03-01-2012, 12:46 PM
@ Above Honestly DD can never be kept perfect lol....

mwoolfso
03-01-2012, 12:57 PM
This may help you. I found it by searching the forums using the term "micron".

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/41038-paint-thickness.html