PDA

View Full Version : Damage to Chrome Rims?

joejoe22
03-07-2007, 10:27 PM
I live in Michigan. For those who live here, you know how unpredictable the weather is. I have my chrome rims on my car currently, the ones in my sig, and amd wondering if they could be damaged by any weather. I know salt and brake dust make a bad combination. Raining can't hurt them right? Also, how long does it take for rust to from from the rain and how is that prevented.

ltoman
03-08-2007, 12:16 AM
I do not know, but you can use PB or DP wheel sealant to add protection. Alot of the back East folks use it for that reason.
Guys, chime in here!!
My humble 2 cents!
Lauren

Jimmie
03-08-2007, 12:36 AM
I do not know, but you can use PB or DP wheel sealant to add protection. Alot of the back East folks use it for that reason.
Guys, chime in here!!
My humble 2 cents!
Lauren

:iagree: with Lauren. Spot on the money. I use DP Wheel Glaze on my chrome wheels. Some on the Forum talk about using a sealant (like Klasse AIO) on chrome.

Jdm
03-08-2007, 12:51 AM
First off what your wheels see everytime the car is driven it potentially damaging to the wheels. However if the wheels see propor car on a regular basis (wash, dry, prep, polish, protect) Very few or no types of weather stand a chance of wrecking your wheel. Also I would be far more worried about brake dust and salt, rather than rain... But thats just my opinion.

ScottB
03-08-2007, 07:25 AM
salt would be the biggest issue, so cleaning every couple of days as possible, and a good sealant would be a must. My moms from Michigan, and she likes to say nobody drives new or detailed cars in Michigan, because the weather is so nasty. All cars in Florida look brand new to her, always shiney.

John U
03-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Winter = factory rims with snow tires!
Summer = chrome and summer tires
JU

The Pad Man
03-08-2007, 03:44 PM
If they are chrome rims, the quality of the plating will be the determnining factor. A cheaper plating means less abuse they can take. I would keep them sealed of waxed.

Nica
03-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Winter = factory rims with snow tires!
Summer = chrome and summer tires
JU

:iagree: The advantage with this also is that the wear and tear will be split, so you shouldn't require new tires that often. Well at least that's what I've experienced.