PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to tape?

n2deep2bn
03-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Do I need to tape when applying Meguiars 205? Duragloss 105?

CASH XRS
03-01-2012, 11:34 AM
I have read (no on hand experience yet) that it is good practice to always tape up trim pieces and the like whenever using a polisher JUST in case sling happens. Another trick I read about Mike Phillips put up was just put an old beach towel over the windshield to block the glass as well.

Hope this helps.

-Cash

SkateForGirl
03-01-2012, 11:38 AM
I would tape off as much as you can. Its more of a PITA to remove the polish/compound out of the emblems, space between headlights and bumpers and trim then it is to tape off the car. Its pretty much your call though.

n2deep2bn
03-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Damn I was hoping that Meguiars 205 was gentle enough that I wouldn't have to tape.

bigdriver4u
03-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Damn I was hoping that Meguiars 205 was gentle enough that I wouldn't have to tape.

Taping is a choice in my opinion.. Think of it this way, you are compounding the paint, not the trim, glass, mirrors or emblems. I find that depending on the pad selection, you may end of edging parts of the car that you did not intend to. Taping also allows forgiveness when crossing split panels of a vehicle. It's may be time consuming to tape, but so is applying 205 which requires 2-4 section passes. If you are 3 stepping cars, I would recommend it. Good luck with it.

shoeless89
03-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Getting dried on polish out of cracks is a PAIN. And trying to get polish residue off black trim is even worse. If it stains trim, tape it up!

Tundra1316
03-01-2012, 12:09 PM
I highly recommending taping especially for meguiars 205 and the 105, It is a pain in the ass to remove off the trim, glass, mirrors and the emblems, when it splatters and when it turns into a white cement substance. I had to learn the hard way on my moms 2003 Black Toyota Sequoia. I ruined half of the black plastic trim and turned it white, on the back window of the suv.

FASTFRED
03-01-2012, 12:35 PM
+ 10 on using tape. :xyxthumbs:

Paintxpert
03-01-2012, 12:39 PM
I NEVER use tape.....just dont polish those areas. DONT use a lot of product to avoid slinging. What do you do if you should pull a piece of paint off during tape removal. I do MILLION DOLLAR CARS!!!! No Tape. The owners would freak if I put TAPE on their cars. The towels or blankets for convertible roofs are a GREAT idea. Compounding and rejuvenation MIGHT be a different story. This is what works for me. Since 1969

Paintxpert
03-01-2012, 12:42 PM
You should NOT be slinging product at all. If your slinging product get it OFF ASAP! Use a damp soft cloth.

shoeless89
03-01-2012, 12:58 PM
I NEVER use tape.....just dont polish those areas. DONT use a lot of product to avoid slinging. What do you do if you should pull a piece of paint off during tape removal. I do MILLION DOLLAR CARS!!!! No Tape. The owners would freak if I put TAPE on their cars. The towels or blankets for convertible roofs are a GREAT idea. Compounding and rejuvenation MIGHT be a different story. This is what works for me. Since 1969

If paint comes off when you take low tac painters tape off a car, I would say that paint was about to come off no matter what. Don't use the stickiest tape you can find :) And Joe at Superior Shine does million dollar cars also and he always tapes. If I detailed a million dollar car and I ruined their black trim I think they would be more mad over that then if I had to take an extra 45 min to tape. I think of it as an insurance. Just my opinion though. Do what you know works for you :props: