PDA

View Full Version : What to use, Lancer correction

shoeless89
02-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Hey guys, on March 10th I have a Black 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer scheduled for a 1 or 2 step correction. With his budget were leaning toward a 1 step. I'm thinking either Meguiar's 205, Menzerna Power Finish, or CarPro Fixer would be good fits. I also have Meguiar's MF system. To be honest I don't think I've ever done a 1 step correction. Its always an AIO or at least a 2 step. With 205 and an LC White pad I don't know if it'll remove enough of the defects. I'm not sure how well Power Finish will finish as a 1 step. I haven't gotten to use Fixer yet so I have no idea on that. If I could use the MF system but I would like to give him a little bit more durable protection then the Finishing Wax.

What do you guys think?

shoeless89
03-01-2012, 11:22 AM
105 views and no advice?

CASH XRS
03-01-2012, 11:28 AM
I wish I could give you advice, but I have absolutely no experience in it lol. I AM curious though, how do you determine what is considered a 1, 2 or 3 step correction?

shoeless89
03-01-2012, 11:37 AM
For me a 1-step is a medium or light polish then wax/sealant. 2-step generally compound then finishing polish then wax/sealant. 3-step would be compound, finishing polish, jeweling then wax/sealant or you could do compound, medium polish, then finishing polish. A lot of it depends on the pant your working on. If I'm working on really hard paint and I compound the finishing polish might not be able to take out the marring left by the compound so I would add a medium polish in between. But on really soft paint I may be able to skip the compounding step all together (depending on the defects) and start with a medium polish and finish with a jeweling polish like Menzerna P085RD. Thats my approach at least.

Then there are AIO which I consider to be a category all its self. But I've never done a 1 step polish so thats why I'm looking for advice because I'm sure his Lancer has pretty soft paint but won't know for sure until I put pad to paint.

slickooz
Hey Shawn, how the condition of the car? Whats his budget? A true one step will take a lot longer then an AIO. I think M205 is amazing and great for lightly swirled car. You can always try M205 with orange pad for more corrections.

Do couple test spots, and let him decide which products to use. You can also try mf system, heard the compound finishes real nice. And top it your favorite wax and call it a day.

DealerDetailer
I've done a 1-step a few times. To be honest this is a budget correction as you say and you gotta go with what feels right for you. The customers gotta know not all improfections will be corrected and you too have to be happy with the end result. I know its tough to just do a one step and then seal the paint.

Depending on paint (hard/soft), pad, machine the 205 or Power finish etc... will finish differently. Be sure to do a few test spots on how products and pads finish down and then pick the one your happy enough with.

CASH XRS
03-01-2012, 11:53 AM
For me a 1-step is a medium or light polish then wax/sealant. 2-step generally compound then finishing polish then wax/sealant. 3-step would be compound, finishing polish, jeweling then wax/sealant or you could do compound, medium polish, then finishing polish. A lot of it depends on the pant your working on. If I'm working on really hard paint and I compound the finishing polish might not be able to take out the marring left by the compound so I would add a medium polish in between. But on really soft paint I may be able to skip the compounding step all together (depending on the defects) and start with a medium polish and finish with a jeweling polish like Menzerna P085RD. Thats my approach at least.

Then there are AIO which I consider to be a category all its self. But I've never done a 1 step polish so thats why I'm looking for advice because I'm sure his Lancer has pretty soft paint but won't know for sure until I put pad to paint.

Ahh ok, so a polish acts as a swirl remover, such as SwirlX? Still trying to get the lingo down. So if Iwere to do a MEgs UC and them the SwirlX then a wax, that would be considered a 2 step process??

Also, how do you guys know what is a hard or soft paint? Just trial and error?

shoeless89
03-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Hey Shawn, how the condition of the car? Whats his budget? A true one step will take a lot longer then an AIO. I think M205 is amazing and great for lightly swirled car. You can always try M205 with orange pad for more corrections.

Do couple test spots, and let him decide which products to use. You can also try mf system, heard the compound finishes real nice. And top it your favorite wax and call it a day.

I've done a 1-step a few times. To be honest this is a budget correction as you say and you gotta go with what feels right for you. The customers gotta know not all improfections will be corrected and you too have to be happy with the end result. I know its tough to just do a one step and then seal the paint.

Depending on paint (hard/soft), pad, machine the 205 or Power finish etc... will finish differently. Be sure to do a few test spots on how products and pads finish down and then pick the one your happy enough with.

I told him I could do a couple test spots but he's dropping off the car and leaving. I usually go to someone's house so its no problem being able to wash the car first then let them decide a little while later when I do test spots. Since I won't have time to clean the whole car I guess I could just use ONR or UWW+ on the hood, clay real quick then do a test spot for him but I still think that might be longer then he is willing to wait around. And he said "The paint is in pretty rough shape" :dunno: I wish people new our terminology so he could describe how bad the swirls, RIDS, etchings etc. were lol

slickooz
03-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Ahh ok, so a polish acts as a swirl remover, such as SwirlX? Still trying to get the lingo down. So if Iwere to do a MEgs UC and them the SwirlX then a wax, that would be considered a 2 step process??

Also, how do you guys know what is a hard or soft paint? Just trial and error?

UC and swirlx then wax is consider a two step. It's called two step because your using two method to remove scratch and swirls.

Typically American/Europe cars are on the harder side, while Japanese cars are on the softer side. Testing few spots on the car will give you a better idea.

slickooz
03-01-2012, 11:59 AM
I told him I could do a couple test spots but he's dropping off the car and leaving. I usually go to someone's house so its no problem being able to wash the car first then let them decide a little while later when I do test spots. Since I won't have time to clean the whole car I guess I could just use ONR or UWW+ on the hood, clay real quick then do a test spot for him but I still think that might be longer then he is willing to wait around. And he said "The paint is in pretty rough shape" :dunno: I wish people new our terminology so he could describe how bad the swirls, RIDS, etchings etc. were lol

Did you look at the car before taking the job? Seems like most professional detailer gets cars that are trashed.

CASH XRS
03-01-2012, 12:05 PM
UC and swirlx then wax is consider a two step. It's called two step because your using two method to remove scratch and swirls.

Typically American/Europe cars are on the harder side, while Japanese cars are on the softer side. Testing few spots on the car will give you a better idea.

Ahh ok. See I guess what I didn't realize is that the polishes are a slight abrasive while bringing out the shine of the paint. I guess when I think polish, I just think "makes it shiny like a wax", not "helps remove swirls".

shoeless89
03-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Did you look at the car before taking the job? Seems like most professional detailer gets cars that are trashed.

No I haven't seen the car yet since he lives about 2 hours away. And I know him so I not really worried.

Ahh ok. See I guess what I didn't realize is that the polishes are a slight abrasive while bringing out the shine of the paint. I guess when I think polish, I just think "makes it shiny like a wax", not "helps remove swirls".

Think of it this way, in order from most agressive to least/non-agressive. . .
Wet sanding
Compounding ie. Meguiar's 105
(I don't know of many 'heavy' polishes)
Medium Polish ie. Menzerna Power Finish, Meguiar's UC
Fine/Finishing Polish ie. Meguiar's 205
Jeweling Polish ie. Menzerna P085RD
LSP ie. Wax/Sealant

CASH XRS
03-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Think of it this way, in order from most agressive to least/non-agressive. . .
Wet sanding
Compounding ie. Meguiar's 105
(I don't know of many 'heavy' polishes)
Medium Polish ie. Menzerna Power Finish, Meguiar's UC
Fine/Finishing Polish ie. Meguiar's 205
Jeweling Polish ie. Menzerna P085RD
LSP ie. Wax/Sealant

That's a great learning tool for lingo. Thanks!:props: