PDA

View Full Version : Don't know where to start on interior.

Pages : [1] 2

CASH XRS
02-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Hey all, I have been going back and forth on how to detail interiors. I have no idea where to start, step and products wise. I have always been a fan of and continue to use Meguiar's Quick interior detailer but that's about as far as I get.

I want to be able to get stains out of seats or at least make them less noticeable, clean up carpets and both fabric and leather seats. I have no idea how to use an exctractor and it's out of my budget right now.

So I was wondering what type of products I should be looking into and buying to be able to decently clean and maintain interiors?

I figured this was the list:
-Interior detailer
-Carpet/fabric shampoo of some kind
-Fabric/interior scrub brush
-leather cleaner
-leather conditioner
-Brush for leather?

Anything I am missing please add for me, also suggestions for product for each of these stpes would be a TON of help. Is Lexol a good product to use for leather? I am basically just looking for a product down and scrub and dry type system for now. Any and all suggestions and comments are welcome. Thanks so much.

Detail_Dude
02-29-2012, 04:53 PM
In terms of steps, I suggest top-down. In other words, headliner >>dash, etc >> doors >> center console >> seats >> floor.

If the leather is relatively clean, you may be able to get away with MF's and not need to 'scrub' with a brush.

tw33k2514
02-29-2012, 06:11 PM
I break down interiors into categories.

Carpets
Upholstery
Plastics
Glass

I tackle an interior like so..

1. Carpets - APC+ 10:1, Folex for heavy spots
2. Plastics - APC+ 10:1 for pad plastics, Quick Interior Detailer for decent plastics.
3. Glass - clean glass with whatever glass cleaner you like
4. Upholstery - APC+ 10:1 for cloth, APC+ 15:1 for leather and Mothers VLR for good condition leather.

CASH XRS
03-01-2012, 09:00 AM
I break down interiors into categories.

Carpets
Upholstery
Plastics
Glass

I tackle an interior like so..

1. Carpets - APC+ 10:1, Folex for heavy spots
2. Plastics - APC+ 10:1 for pad plastics, Quick Interior Detailer for decent plastics.
3. Glass - clean glass with whatever glass cleaner you like
4. Upholstery - APC+ 10:1 for cloth, APC+ 15:1 for leather and Mothers VLR for good condition leather.

What is APC? Is there anything out there that works well enough without needing to dilute?

alko
03-01-2012, 09:04 AM
APC= all purpose cleaner like OPC (optimum power clean). You may want to try Ultima Interior Shampoo:

Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel, interior cleaner, upholstery cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-shampoo.html)

+1 on top down

CASH XRS
03-01-2012, 09:19 AM
APC= all purpose cleaner like OPC (optimum power clean). You may want to try Ultima Interior Shampoo:

Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel, interior cleaner, upholstery cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-shampoo.html)

+1 on top down

O ok awesome, that looks pretty decent. So am I able to do something like cleaning carpets and seats with the Ultima and taking care of plastics and hard vinyls with the quick interior detailer?

alko
03-01-2012, 09:26 AM
I wouldn't use it on carpets. Stick with the vinyl and plastic with the ultima.

I usually get carpet spot removers from my local auto parts store. Alot of people use Folex- you can pick some up at Lowes. I'm fittin to go pick up some this weekend as I am preparing to detail my dad's car for his birthday.

Detail_Dude
03-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Steering towards a highly concentrated product, like Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner plus (APC+), is a bit more cost efficient than a dedicated ready to use (RTU) bottle of something else. Moreover, you can mix it to higher or lower concentrations, depending on your needs. For example, say one day you want to clean gunk in your engine area....maybe mix a heavy duty solution of APC+ @ 4:1.

Regarding my leather (in great condition), I personally have not used APC+ on it and probably wouldn't unless I absolutely needed to. I do, sometimes, use Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer on it or even 1z Cockpit Premium.

I have my eyes on Mothers VLR, as well and am glad to see tw33k2514 likes it!

CASH XRS
03-01-2012, 09:30 AM
My only fear is kind of losing track of dilutions. How do you guys take care of that?

So should I basically seprate materials for cloth and leather? Or just carry one product with different bottles of dilution for cloth, bad leather and decent leather?

Any suggestions of brushes or other cleaning tools?

alko
03-01-2012, 09:35 AM
I agree with just picking up an APC...

Here's how to dilute:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/38637-how-dilution-ratio-s.html

use these:
3 oz. Measuring Cups (http://www.autogeek.net/3oz-measuring-cups.html)

CASH XRS
03-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Ahh makes sense. I knew it was something along the lines of that lol. Ok, I have a new question in regards to this:

My cousin has a partnership with a chemical company that sells car detailing chemicals, kind of like an Ardex deal. He said he can get me gallons of concentrate that dilute out to 15 gallons for every 1 gallon.

I told him I could use him for an interior cleaner and also a good wheel cleaner.
Question: What properties should I look for in these cleaners? I know for wheel cleaners, something not too harsh so it's safe on any kind of wheel. Anything else I should be looking for. And is it a good idea to get the stuff through him. It would be super cheap and save me money and from what I am hearing, it is really good stuff.

Hoytman
03-01-2012, 10:28 AM

+1 on top down

What happened to the master...ShoNuff? I thought that was a cool avatar.

alko
03-01-2012, 10:33 AM
I think I'm gonna change it back. I'm not feeling soul glo

Kristopher1129
03-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I typically do interiors in this order...

-Carpets & seats (if upholstery): Vac, stain prep, extract
-Vinyl: magic sponge, brushes, whatever I gotta do to clean the vinyl and plastic parts. I also will do the cleaning of leather seats during this step.
-Dressing: I use a Tornador tool to dress all plastic, and hit all nooks and crannies in the process.
-Interior windows and door jambs.
-Leather conditioner
-Final vac, new car scent.

That's my typical procedure. Obviously it varies depending on the vehicle condition or type.

CASH XRS
03-01-2012, 10:44 AM
What happened to the master...ShoNuff? I thought that was a cool avatar.

I was wondering the same thing!! Glad it's back! lol.

I typically do interiors in this order...

-Carpets & seats (if upholstery): Vac, stain prep, extract
-Vinyl: magic sponge, brushes, whatever I gotta do to clean the vinyl and plastic parts. I also will do the cleaning of leather seats during this step.
-Dressing: I use a Tornador tool to dress all plastic, and hit all nooks and crannies in the process.
-Interior windows and door jambs.
-Leather conditioner
-Final vac, new car scent.

That's my typical procedure. Obviously it varies depending on the vehicle condition or type.
Yeah, thanks for that. I think it's so much easier and more effecient when you have a step by step type process to follow.

What do you guys think about using my cousin? According to him, he has over 2200 different chemicals I can choose from so there's defintiely something there for any condition I need/have.
Feed back please