PDA

View Full Version : Polishing with Water?

Lowejackson
02-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Just a thought experiment.

There are lots of polishes for use before applying the chosen LSP but is there any advantage with polishing with only water.

Bear with me on this, here is my (semi) logic. I was recently watching a programme where some firm had been commissioned to replace some medieval glass. One throw away line was when they quickly described the final polish as using nothing more than water. I am sure I have heard similar things for polishing jewels.

I accept that glass/jewels are very different to paint but would it be possible to jewel the paint using water. My initial feeling are that water may not offer enough lubrication so maybe something like a ONR mix might work.

embolism
02-29-2012, 09:42 AM
that may be possible on really hard material like glass or steel but I would never try it on paint, even hard paint

Mike Phillips
02-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Nothing wrong with pushing the envelope and exploring new ideas. :xyxthumbs:

Two ways to use the water

1. By itself somehow mechanically forced over the paint

2. With some other type of material used to rub the water over the paint

My opinion is that at least the second options not going to work. Reason being is modern clear coats, at least all the versions I've ever worked on are just to scratch sensitive. Rubbing on them with anything by hand has too much potential to inflict scratches, even micro-scratches.

With the first option, you would need some type of machine to move the water of the surface and my guess is whatever this machine would look like, it would be cost prohibitive for the end-user.

Just guesses... of course...

:)