PDA

View Full Version : Convince me to buy a Griots DA

Pages : [1] 2

AKmikeSSter04
02-29-2012, 06:41 AM
Hey everyone,
I'm interested in this DA, i've had a PC 7336 since 2004, but left it with my wife in Colorado Springs. I'm mainly going to use the buffer on my daily driver and my family's vehicles. They're all Chevrolets and one BMW. The tahoe and suburban have swirls and i was planning on doing some correction on em this spring.

I thought about getting the Flex 3401, but its kinda pricey for me right now. I plan on getting some LC orange, white and their finishing pads. I also want to try the megs MF system.

So, why should i get this over another PCFeed back please

manichol
02-29-2012, 08:14 AM
I have the Griots DA and like it. I just recently got the optimum MF cutting & polishing pads and the Griots 3" DA but haven't got to use them yet. I've been hearing that if you get the Griot and MF pads then it will give the same results as the Flex. But I'm just repeating since I don't have experience on this matter.

I chose the Griots because it has a lifetime warranty...

lokerola
02-29-2012, 08:14 AM
I've only used the Griots DA so I can't tell you how the PC performs, but I love my GG DA. I maintain the family vehicles with it using 6.5" pads and everything comes out great.

Bamaboy007
02-29-2012, 08:20 AM
sorry I can't do that...get the flex

Jacob Perry
02-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Lifetime Warrenty.

Enough said.

glen e
02-29-2012, 08:32 AM
gg6- 5 yrs old and still perfect

ski2
02-29-2012, 08:41 AM
For someone just doing my own cars and perhaps a friend's or family member's the GG was a no brainer--it is the most powerful of the DA's and the only one with a lifetime warranty. I just can't justify the cost of a Flex for someone just doing a few personal cars.

There are some reports of it breaking down which would be a problem for a pro detailer while waiting for a repair or replacement from Griots, but for weekend detailers like myself I don't find this a drawback.

As reported by others you can do everything with a GG and 5.5" pads you can do with a Flex, but it takes more time. I've read some reports by pros that they are using their rotaries less and less with the pads and products available today. Even seen a few using Purple Foamed Wool pads with the GG for heavy correction.

And to top it off you can find excellent deals on the GG from time to time that you rarely see for the other DAs. There is one going on now from another detailing company that I'm sure AG would match.

I decided to start with an assortment of flat foam pads in 5.5" and 4" then if I need more aggressiveness add some Optimum MF pads later.

daveinsweethome
02-29-2012, 08:51 AM
abra ca dabra its yours.

AKmikeSSter04
02-29-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm nearly sold haha. I want a flex but it's a lot of money. What products can I use with optimum's mf pads. I have m105, mega Uc and ultimate polish at the moment.

embolism
02-29-2012, 09:39 AM
you can use those products with MF pads

and a GG6

got one and luvs it

TroyScherer
02-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Lifetime Warrenty.

Enough said.

IMO a lifetime warranty is worthless if your are going to have keep replacing the tool. I would vote to get a more quality tool.

How does the quote go? "You can put a warranty on a pile of "Stuff" but its still just a pile.

embolism
02-29-2012, 09:52 AM
you also have to look at it from the hobbyist point of view. I use mine maybe 10 times a season at most. Once, my winter prep is done, it sits there until the next spring.

So having a lifetime warranty is great b/c I just don't use it enough to warrant having only a 3 year warranty. If it breaks, I can send it for repairs/replacement, no big deal. If I had jobs lined up then yes it would be a big deal and in that case, I'd probably just get a spare machine.

I don't see much of a quality issue either. Remember, these machines are in use by businesses which use them every day. It doesn't make good business sense for Griots to offer a lifetime warranty if their product has issues b/c they won't make any money if they're constantly replacing the machine for people.

So far, I've only seen threads about PC problems, but that's another kettle of fish, just sayin'

5.4 Shelby
02-29-2012, 09:53 AM
I went from an old PC after years of use to a GG6. The step up in power is incredible. Once you have it and use it, you wont believe you even questioned the decision.

Lifetime warranty.

Megs MF DA system.

Griots incredible customer service.

The quality of mine is just fine. The Flex is a little more impressive, but, you can almost buy 3 of the GGs for the price of the 3401.

I prefer to work with the GG. The Flex forced rotation makes it want to work you. I dont like the way it wants to walk on you.

Capa1970
02-29-2012, 05:46 PM
#1 Life-time warranty.
#2 Most powerful DA.
#3 Life-time warranty---'nuff said.

Klasse Act
02-29-2012, 06:10 PM
I got my Griot's random orbital last year and haven't looked back since, infact, I even bought the 3" one to go along with it, making it much, much easier to do bumpers, the area that runs above you side windows and mirror caps too. I have the Griot's orange and red pads to go along with both 3 and 6" wheels, I even have the bag that not only holds both of them easily, but it holds 4 bottles of their products on the outside (or something of similar or smaller sizes) and there's a little "garage" around the back and towards the bottom too, lots of cool, little compartments, can't go wrong there!

I've been a Griots customer since 2003 and the customer service and quality products keep me coming back year after year, I like shopping there for birthday gifts too, makes it easy as hell:xyxthumbs:

One thing I will say though is this, the dvd instructions say to use 5-6 speed settings for polishing and that's just way too much for consistent polishing, small, stubborn area's are ok, but don't use it on that setting for a long time, it creates too much heat and will kill that pad from the inside out. I called and spoke to one their customer service guys and he told me that infact, 4.5 is about all you need for the speed to do the entire car, great advice as usual:buffing:

The lifetime warrenty is also something to keep in mind too, oh yeah, btw, when I killed 2 of the orange pads using that high speed setting, I told them about it and they quickly sent me out 2 new pads, free of charge and no shipping, 100% free:props:

I say go for it, its easy to use and this is coming from a guy who was scarred as hell to use a wheel on the car but when you do that first panel (after proper surface prep, ofcoarse) you'll be hooked, probably end up looking for cars to do to build up your confidence, I know I did! Good luck to you!!!