PDA

View Full Version : Does the new V3 ONR still stain wash media?

Pages : [1] 2

Setec Astronomy
02-28-2012, 06:02 PM
Yeah, apologies to Old Tiger for starting a new thread about this, but it was kind of getting lost in the sauce in your http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/46775-new-formula-onr-best-rinseless-ever.html thread. Also, sorry about the confusion--some people are calling this V3 and some are calling it V4, but I'm calling it V3 as Chris @ Optimum did.

Anyway, one of the annoying things about rinseless washes is the black/gray staining of wash media. QEW used to do this, and so did ONR. Rwright has reported that the new Meg's D114 doesn't, and Old Tiger reported in his other thread that the new version ONR doesn't either.

So what is everyone's experience with wash media staining with the new ONR?

Irontree
02-28-2012, 06:34 PM
I have never had a problem with the V2 staining any of my wash media.
The only problem I have ever had was I left a uber sponge in a bucket submerged and it turned it blue.
My media comes clean everytime.
I wash both of my cars every weekend with ONR.

alko
02-28-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't think its a matter of ONR staining wash media. IMO...and I'm no expert...its the dirt that gets trapped, along with the various road grime/grease/tar/dead animal guts...whatever that gets stuck the the panels. I think ONR and other rinseless washes aren't capable of breaking this stuff up and dissolving them properly as a traditional wash. It may be able to remove the stuff from the panel but getting caught in something porous as a sponge or the strand of fiber. I don't know...I'm just talkin now...

embolism
02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
what test shall we do?

Maybe Bill can try it with a new bone and then post side by side after taking them out of the washing machine...

as I recall, his old bone was pretty grimey looking even after washing...

Chris Thomas
02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
It will probably still look dirty as that is serving a intended purpose, but when washed with detergent it should come clean. ONR is designed to encapsulate and soften dirt and that takes it into a microscopic state that is no danger to paint, but can be absorbed into fibers. Heavier particles that won't break down are heavier from the encapsulation process and will fall to the bottom of the bucket. Wash media stained from the ONR process are merely discolored and not dangerous. Personally, I have never had an issue with a stain remaining after a wash with detergent...but I would not hesitate to use one if I knew that was the cause.

Rix6
02-28-2012, 08:23 PM
I didn't know that V2 stained wash media! I'd wager that it's a characteristic of the type of dirt you are removing from your car. I wonder if you took an old t-shirt and washed a wheel well or your rocker panels with some regular car soap if you'd get staining.

Any staining that get on my wash media that don't brush off in the bucket comes clean after a machine wash. That's with the ONR mk2 that I have. Well, I might have had one or two washes where a faded dark line remained on an mf wash towel or two. Some Chlorox 2 non-chlorine bleach took care of that. Now, not ONR specific, but UWW+, ONR, car soap, whatever, the one permanent staining crap that for the life of me I cannot get the stain out of the veteran towels that tackled that stuff is some red stuff that was always in the pigeon poop that was constantly finding its way onto my wife's car in December and January. :rant: I just don't know what those pigeons were eating...wait a minute, I bet it's from the infernal pepper trees that line the adjacent lot next to my driveway :idea: :cry: :rant:
Now to those things I :surrender: because they can be washed off, and towels don't = paint. It's the feral cats causing hundreds, nay thousands of dollars of damage to our good cars that got me forever :mad:, but I digress.

Regarding the rinseless wash media...It's the dirt I say. And the machine washing technique. All in my humble opinion, of course.

-Rick

WRAPT C5Z06
02-28-2012, 08:33 PM
I thought you need to use up your 1998 ONR first? :laughing:

Setec Astronomy
02-28-2012, 09:05 PM
I thought you need to use up your 1998 ONR first? :laughing:

Oh come on, you know they didn't make ONR in 1998...only QEW!

Wash media stained from the ONR process are merely discolored and not dangerous. Personally, I have never had an issue with a stain remaining after a wash with detergent...but I would not hesitate to use one if I knew that was the cause.

I usually use MF "bone" things for rinseless, and find they that are permanently "grayed" from this use, even after machine washing. I know it's not dangerous, it's just that once it's stained like that, it's harder to tell if the surface you are washing is dirty or it's residual discoloration of the media.

IID
02-28-2012, 09:32 PM
I've used the V3 but I use the OptiMitt for All my Rinseless washes and it don't show the dirt because of the color.But it does work well(OM & V3).Sorry my input wasn't any help.

Marc08EX
02-28-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm interested to know this as well. Thanks for starting this thread OP.

I know that my ONR v2 stained my white MF "bone" like wash media. DP rinseless didn't and Richard confirmed Meguiar's RFEW doesn't as well. I really hope ONR v3 won't.

Chris Thomas
02-28-2012, 09:44 PM
I usually use MF "bone" things for rinseless, and find they that are permanently "grayed" from this use, even after machine washing. I know it's not dangerous, it's just that once it's stained like that, it's harder to tell if the surface you are washing is dirty or it's residual discoloration of the media.

Well then that's an easy fix. If you do a panel and the solution on the panel is dingy, go over it again...if it looks clear, you're ready for drying.

Setec Astronomy
02-28-2012, 09:49 PM
I know that my ONR v2 stained my white MF "bone" like wash media. DP rinseless didn't

That's interesting, I didn't know that.

Well then that's an easy fix. If you do a panel and the solution on the panel is dingy, go over it again...if it looks clear, you're ready for drying.

Thanks, I'd still like it better if it didn't stain :p

Marc08EX
02-28-2012, 09:52 PM
That's interesting, I didn't know that.

I was surprised and happy when I first used DP rinseless. My white MF wash media was coming out white and clean when rinsing it out in my rinse bucket. I know ONR works well but when the wash media doesn't come out clean, I feel that it's not safe to wash the car even if I know the grits have been dislodged already.

Chris Thomas
02-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks, I'd still like it better if it didn't stain :p

I understand, maybe you can scotch guard it before use?

Setec Astronomy
02-28-2012, 10:00 PM
I understand, maybe you can scotch guard it before use?

Ok ok...Mark is right anyway, I just cracked my quart of V2 so it will be like 7 or 8 years before I need any more. I'd like to increase my rinseless to conventional ratio, but I already have enough conventional wash to last til 2020 or something.