PDA

View Full Version : How to remove tape lines?

Outcome Agent
02-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Mike and all,

After taping off the car and doing correction, sealant, and/or wax, I always end up with stubborn lines after removing the tape.

Usually removing those with MF will just create swirls/scratches.

Other option is to use the DA but then that kinda defeats the purpose of doing it in the first place.

I've got spot pads but again, I could always back off the main DA an inch or two, and then come back with the spot pads.

So thoughts? Techniques?

opie_7afe
02-27-2012, 11:27 PM
spray down with onr or any rinseless diluted to quick detailer ratio and let it sit for a few seconds, wipes up a lot easier. what i also do is remove the tape before a final polish, i do this because its harder to burn an edge and helps blend the thin unpolished area to the polished area. thats if your taping body lines and seams, for trim just use the first method. you will find something that works for you eventually.

Shane731
02-28-2012, 02:25 AM
What kind of tape are you using? Have you looked into Meguiar's masking tape? From the times that I have used it I have not had issues with tape residue.

Meguiars Professional Masking Tapes, auto masking tape, car masking tape (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-masking-tapes.html)

shoeless89
02-28-2012, 09:22 AM
I always use the the blue painters tape. I've had tape lines before but only after I left the tape on for a long time generally. Otherwise I would just use some QD

Mike Phillips
02-28-2012, 09:43 AM
There's a number of ways to deal with tape-lines, none of them perfect.

I'll either rub them off using whatever wax I used on the car, or I'll remove the tape before I machine wax the car and carefully run the edge of a 5.5" pad against the tape-line as I machine wax the car and let the foam work it off.

Of course if you have any plastic trim, especially pebble textured black plastic trim you have to be very careful not to get any wax on the trim, so S-L-O-W D-O-W-N and focus on the task at hand and have a steady hand.

:)