PDA

View Full Version : Megs 105/205 Combo

robirwin
02-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Hello,

I've seen so much about using the Megs 105/205 combo that I've decided to give it a shot.

I've got a Infiniti FX35 and Acura MDX (both black) with good paint but some scratches here and there...a few bad ones and some light/thin scattered ones.

I hope to make the bad ones better and the light/thin ones disappear. I'm using a PC and getting ready to order this LC 4" kit (http://www.autogeek.net/spot-buff-kit.html) and the Megs 105 and 205.

I already have some 1Z polish and wax to top off afterwards.

The reason I am choosing the 4" pads over the 5.5" pads is that I plan on taping off 12" x 12" squares around the scratch areas and using the 105/205. Then polish/wax the whole car. Is this the correct approach? I don't want to use 105 on the entire car right? Any advice here before I order the 4" pads and 105/205?

thanks,
R

Jaretr1
02-27-2012, 07:38 PM
I think you would want to use 105 on the whole car. If you want to get rid of the scratches and swirls, you have to. 205 will not do much in the form of correcting. I liken 205 as the cleanup for 105. 105 is somewhat difficult to work with, and sometimes hard to remove. 205 seems to clean it up, and leave a really nice polished finish. I would recommend the 5.5" pads. 4" pads on those large vehicles seems like it would take forever.

robirwin
02-27-2012, 11:11 PM
I've recently done the car with Polish/Glaze/Wax and it looks great! However, I now want to get at the scratches. I figured the next time I am ready to detail the car I will target the scratches with 105? I'm not an expert here and have never used 105 before but the only areas that could benefit from using an aggressive compound are the places there are scratches. So if the hood is in flawless condition why would I start applying 105 to it? Am I thinking about this correctly?

shoeless89
02-27-2012, 11:41 PM
I've recently done the car with Polish/Glaze/Wax and it looks great! However, I now want to get at the scratches. I figured the next time I am ready to detail the car I will target the scratches with 105? I'm not an expert here and have never used 105 before but the only areas that could benefit from using an aggressive compound are the places there are scratches. So if the hood is in flawless condition why would I start applying 105 to it? Am I thinking about this correctly?

Your right in using the least aggressive approach. M105 may not be needed for the ENTIRE car but 205 is an Ultra Finishing polish. If you don't want to use a compound on the whole car ie. M105 you could use a medium polish instead. I like Menzerna Power Finish. I may be wrong on this but if your gonna use 105 on some areas I would use it on the whole car unless you only have 1 isolated area which IMO is unlikely. I say this because always do a test spot, then when you find what works replicate that process across the entire car. Just some ideas :)

robirwin
02-29-2012, 04:34 PM
So if I got a newer car with great paint but a few scratches or areas with scratches then I can't just attack the scratches? Obviously I'd like to go after the scratches and leave the must of the car alone. Secondy, the car has already been clayed, polished, glazed, and waxed so I don't want to do the whole car again. I just want to mark off those specific spots... Is this not something I should do? Buy 105/205 and do the rear bumper only for example?

thanks,
r

SRTSean
02-29-2012, 05:11 PM
I don't see any reason why you can't do spot corrections on the paint. You'll just want to tape the areas off to ensure you know where to go back over with sealant after you're finished.

However, one thing to keep in mind is that if you're doing the 105/205 combo on an area, it WILL look spotless compared to the rest of the paint. It might look funny to have little patches everywhere where full correction was achieved, and then see some minor swirling or something everywhere else.

Eddie 70
03-27-2012, 06:54 PM
How did it work out for you robirwin? Just curious to see if you were happy with the outcome. I have a black vehicle and am getting ready to do some 105/205 to it also.

Flash Gordon
03-27-2012, 07:26 PM
How did it work out for you robirwin? Just curious to see if you were happy with the outcome. I have a black vehicle and am getting ready to do some 105/205 to it also.

He's probally trying to re-atatch his arm

J/K

He probally found out some of those scratches/rids wouldn't come out

I say go complete daredevil and do a full wetsand :dblthumb2:

opie_7afe
03-27-2012, 07:31 PM
i bet with taping it off you will see that square section thats polished to a much better finish. if it was me id do a test spot using m205/white pad and see how that does if its just enhancing gloss then i would switch to 105/orange pad. m105 is not that difficult to work with, you just need to use the correct ammount of polish, if it cements on and leaves a big patch your using way too much, if it happens mist with water and go back over it fast with the polisher.

umi000
03-27-2012, 11:41 PM
I don't understand the recommendations to compound the whole car. The OP has stated that the paint isn't in bad shape - just a few scratches here and there, so why would you want to compound when it's not necessary? We all know that we have only a finite amount of clear to work with, and that the amount of clear manufacturers are spraying is getting thinner and thinner - so I say preserve your clear as much as you can, and go with your plan of doing spot compounding only on the needed areas.

tuscarora dave
03-28-2012, 04:45 AM
I don't understand the recommendations to compound the whole car. The OP has stated that the paint isn't in bad shape - just a few scratches here and there, so why would you want to compound when it's not necessary? We all know that we have only a finite amount of clear to work with, and that the amount of clear manufacturers are spraying is getting thinner and thinner - so I say preserve your clear as much as you can, and go with your plan of doing spot compounding only on the needed areas.
:iagree:105 for the noticeable scratches (without boxing around it with tape) then 205 around the entire car. Seal and/or wax again. I hope you don't have the self healing clear that was offered on some Nissans and Infinities.

Mike lambert
03-28-2012, 06:26 AM
My feeling and what I do a lot is use microfiber compound,followed by 205,then whatever lap you like.the compound is easier to use and will not haze as bad on the paint you are talking about.
Good luck!