PDA

View Full Version : How often do you change pads during a detail?

bigdriver4u
02-27-2012, 11:16 AM
I wanted to take a quick poll on the number of pads people use while detailing cars with your DA's? Are you a single pad per panel type of guy, 1 pad per side or 1 pad per car. For the sake of converstation, lets assume you are applying a 1 step product like XMT 360. Personally, I use 2-3 pads per vechicle and have a pad washer to clean pads after every other panel.

Feel free to comment outside of the scope of a 1 step process.. IE... when compounding or applying a glaze. Thanks for the info.

Rez90
02-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Per step...on an average sized vehicle i'll usually use about 4 pads. Inbetween each pass i'll hit the pad with my conditioning brush to get excess product out.

In for other responses.

RhetoricMixes
02-27-2012, 11:40 AM
For each step in my process whether its compounding or polishing i try to use two pads per step. Its usually do one half and then swap pads to finish the other half of the car.

kronos
02-27-2012, 11:45 AM
I average about four 5.5" pads and two 4" pads per car. I also clean them after every section.

Stang Man
02-27-2012, 11:54 AM
It depends, when I was green I'd use the same pad per step for the entire car!

Depending what I'm using and how bad the car is, I've been using 2-3 pads per step.

For LSP I usually only need to use one pad- by now the surface is SUPER clean and the pad is loaded, no need to swap it out and waste product.

Waxmax
02-27-2012, 11:58 AM
For polishing I use 3-4, 5.5" foam pads per car, plus a few 4" and maybe an MF pad or two.......I wipe them off after each section pass and keep an eye on buildup. May spritz a little conditioner too.

crash93ssei
02-27-2012, 12:27 PM
I usually use 5 or 6 5.5" CCS pads per step, or at least clean my pad thoroughly every other panel.

I find that it makes for a much easier time polishing as the pads cut faster and cleaner leaving less imperfections behind to go over again.

oldmodman
02-27-2012, 04:24 PM
Now that I have a pad washer I generally use two of each type of pad. One pad is drying while the other is in use. Then I wash the one I am using and switch.

shoeless89
02-27-2012, 04:41 PM
I use about 2-3 pads per step. I would probably use a new pad on every panel or every other panel if I had enough pads though.

Danube
02-27-2012, 05:54 PM
2 pads p/step on average sized car.

rider9195
02-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Now that I have a pad washer I generally use two of each type of pad. One pad is drying while the other is in use. Then I wash the one I am using and switch.

This is how I work as well. Usually I can get one pad out of half a mid size car.

Flannigan
02-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Depends on the shape of the vehicle, the product being used, and the pads. When I'm doing an AIO I change very often because they seem to clog up pads quite quickly. On average I would say 4-5 pads per step.

hoyt66
02-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Very interesting thread. So much to learn for the rookie (me)

bigdriver4u
03-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Thanks everyone for their input. It's great to hear other peoples perspectives regarding a simple but yet important subject. We are all trying deliver a great end result.

sscully
03-01-2012, 08:26 AM
I am cleaning the pad between sections ( panel or half hood / truck deck ).

From the posts in this thread, I would say I need to pull 2x the pads out of the Acro storage box and get my act together.

Would a truck or SUV be rotate the Pads through the wash 3 times or 4 ?
- If the drying while working is being used, is it do 1/3 or 1/4 of the larger vehicle ?

With that in mind, is this just for an AIO or Polish step ?
- or Compound and Polish steps if using something like Opti hyper products or Menz SIP & 106/83RD
For Glaze & LSP, there should be no reason to change out pads, at least that is the conjecture I have come up with now. Consider the source :laughing: