PDA

View Full Version : Starting to use PC 7424 again

critical_level2
02-27-2012, 02:17 AM
I have been "out of the loop" in terms of detailing products, pads etc. for the last 3-4 years. I want to get back into using my 7424 and need some advice on what I should look into getting to update my detailing stuff.

What I have now is:
4 orange, 4 white, 2 blue and 2 red 4-inch LC flat pads.

Before I got away with the 4-inch pads as I had a Honda Element and most of the body was grey plastic cladding. Now I have an 01 Dodge Dakota and an 04 Taurus Wagon. Would it be feasible to use the 4-inch pads or would it be extremely time consuming and look into using larger/newer pads? What kind of polish would be good. The Dakota has lots of swirls and a bit of fade and the Taurus is just very very dirty and probably just needs a good cleanup. I want to get back into this the right way, not just go blindly back into it as I know there has been much change in the detailing world since I was last in it.

opie_7afe
02-27-2012, 02:52 PM
just get the same pads but in a larger size if they are working for you, the current ones will work but can take longer but depends as smaller pads usually correct faster. but good to have the right tools for the job. as far as polish goes the m105/205 combo works great m105 takes some learning to find a method that works for you, ive also had good luck with optimum compound II and polish II.. heard car pro's fixer is pretty good and its one product that can remove 1500grit sanding scratches but leave a perfect finish with the correct pad choice.

Setec Astronomy
02-27-2012, 03:00 PM
I'd go for this--it's just easy and will work great with your older PC:

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/da-microfiber-starter-kit-5in.html)

Helps if you have an air compressor to blow out the pads. Or you can go with the new Optimum microfiber pads and their spray polishes.

shoeless89
02-27-2012, 04:29 PM
I'd go for this--it's just easy and will work great with your older PC:

Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System 5 Inch Starter Kit, paint correction kit, dual action polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/da-microfiber-starter-kit-5in.html)

Helps if you have an air compressor to blow out the pads. Or you can go with the new Optimum microfiber pads and their spray polishes.

:iagree: :buffing:

critical_level2
02-28-2012, 06:44 PM
The megs combo looks nice, but I was thinking of staying with the foam pads. It is a bit cheaper to replace them when little hands pick them up and decide to try and feed them to the dogs.

I have some Wolfgang TSR 3.0/finishing glaze 3.0 left over form a few years ago. never got around to using it though. From My under standing, the TSR 3.0 will correct depending on pad used, using a white pad will get less correction that using an orange pad with it. Will the TSR be good for doing heavier correction or would I be better with something else. I was also considering looking into the Megs 105/205 combo. How do they compare, are they both pretty much the same or is one more versatile than the other? Versatility of use (wider range) would be good.

opie_7afe
03-01-2012, 01:20 PM
i dont think the WGTSR is meant for heavier defect removal even with a orange pad. for heavier defect removal i suggest m105/205(ALWAYS good to have that on hand) also optimum compound 2/polish 2 works great, not alot of dusting with the compound, dont correct nearly as fast as m105 however it does have its use when you dont need something like 105. the hyper compound spray i dont like much with foam, it just seems to take forever to correct 1500-2000grit sanding scratches with orange foam and a rotary while with m105 a few passes and the 1500 scratches are gone. it also dont help the sprayer thats on the sample i have just squirts out and dont spray like it should so ends up soaking into the foam and is a pain...the megs twins(105/205) is great for headlights, i even use m105/205 to polish aluminum just only use m105 if theres alot of corrosion found out m105 works great to remove 2000grit sanding scratches from aluminum. what i would do is order the 8oz sizes of m105/205 and the 8oz sizes of the OPT compound2/polish2 the opt is more pricey then the megs but i like and use both..im sticking with foam for now until more testing is done with MF pads and such...as far as pads go try some buff and shine pads. reason why i suggest those is they don't have a beveled edge so it gives you true 5.5" pads and people have been having delamination issues with LC pads here lately. now my experience with b&s pads is just by look and feel but will give them a test soon enough..now i don't like to recommend products not sold by AG but imo they really need to have another pad manufacturer on board as not everyone likes LC pads...