PDA

View Full Version : Sealant PO85RD With?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

alko
02-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Fittin to pull the trigger on another order and I'm getting 106FA and PO85RD. What should I layer on top of PO85RD? Should I pick up a sealant? I have a nice nuba wax for it.

embolism
02-26-2012, 11:06 PM
if you're getting 85rd do you really need the 106fa?

why not get a sample of bfwd?

DARK HORSE
02-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Fittin to pull the trigger on another order and I'm getting 106FA and PO85RD. What should I layer on top of PO85RD? Should I pick up a sealant? I have a nice nuba wax for it.

I'm not sure why you would even consider layering anything on top of 85rd (this would be a very bad idea). You must remove 85rd after polishing. 85rd is a very fine finishing polish enriched with LOTS of polishing oils. I highly recommend wiping down the paint with IPA after polishing with 85rd and prior to using any LSP's. Typically nubas are layered over sealants, not polishes...

alko
02-26-2012, 11:16 PM
if you're getting 85rd do you really need the 106fa?

why not get a sample of bfwd?

Would the 85RD get out very fine swirls and scratches?

The BFWD sample is now in my cart.

I'm not sure why you would even consider layering anything on top of 85rd (this would be a very bad idea). You must remove 85rd after polishing. 85rd is a very fine finishing polish enriched with LOTS of polishing oils. I highly recommend wiping down the paint with IPA after polishing with 85rd and prior to using any LSP's. Typically nubas are layered over sealants, not polishes...

So you're saying not to layer 85RD at all? I think I'm now confused as to what 85RD is...I thought people generally "jewel" with this polish.

DARK HORSE
02-26-2012, 11:30 PM
So you're saying not to layer 85RD at all? I think I'm now confused as to what 85RD is...I thought people generally "jewel" with this polish.

If your definition of "layering" is to leave the product on the paint, then put another product over the top of it; then yes I am saying do NOT layer 85rd. It must be removed from the paint prior to applying a LSP. And yes 85rd is a very fine finishing polish that can be used to jewel with it. I use it with a rotatory polisher to achieve the ultimate in a super high-gloss, super reflective finish (jeweling).

alko
02-26-2012, 11:33 PM
HHHMMM...Interesting! After reading the above I don't think I need 106FA.

embolism
02-26-2012, 11:37 PM
85rd is just 106fa with less of the abrasive. It's a finishing polish that needs to be wiped off just like any other polish.

nice catch DH

alko
02-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks for that follow up Tim. I gues, considering my the paint is in pretty good condition, I don't need the 106FA...hopefully the 85RD will get rid of the slight defects I got going on right now. I appreciate it guys! Dangit...just when I thought my cart was complete!

alko
02-26-2012, 11:46 PM
DH...I just remembered we've had this discussion before :-/

tw33k2514
02-26-2012, 11:49 PM
106fa or 85rd > IPA > BFWD

Which one depends on how soft your paint is.

alko
02-26-2012, 11:51 PM
Ben I still have your BFWD!!! I can use that!

DARK HORSE
02-26-2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks for that follow up Tim. I gues, considering my the paint is in pretty good condition, I don't need the 106FA...hopefully the 85RD will get rid of the slight defects I got going on right now. I appreciate it guys! Dangit...just when I thought my cart was complete!

Just remember that Super Finish (106FA) has a cut of 2.5, where as 85rd has a cut of only 1. While 85rd will sometimes remove EXTREMELY light swirls, it will not remove anything much more than EXTREMELY light swirls. It is more often used as the 3rd step in a three step correction to, if you will "jewel" the paint. Unless your paint is in "excellent" condition (beyond "pretty good" condition) you will most likely need something more aggressive than 85rd to correct it, if that is your goal.

Rix6
02-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Alex, do you have any TSR sample or otherwise? Maybe you already have something that would work well before the 85RD. Which reminds me, I'm going to need some 85RD myself. List what you got.

alko
02-27-2012, 12:06 AM
Just remember that Super Finish (106FA) has a cut of 2.5, where as 85rd has a cut of only 1. While 85rd will sometimes remove EXTREMELY light swirls, it will not remove anything much more than EXTREMELY light swirls. It is more often used as the 3rd step in a three step correction to, if you will "jewel" the paint. Unless your paint is in "excellent" condition (beyond "pretty good" condition) you will most likely need something more aggressive than 85rd to correct it, if that is your goal.

I ended up getting both. I just beat the free shipping block. I appreciate the info you've given me...I know we've had this conversation before in another thread. Thanks again for helping me out.

Alex, do you have any TSR sample or otherwise? Maybe you already have something that would work well before the 85RD. Which reminds me, I'm going to need some 85RD myself. List what you got.

I do have TSR left but I think TSR is too aggressive. Uh oh...I have WG Finishing Glaze...anyone know the cut of the FG?

IOMCAMARO
02-27-2012, 12:09 AM
I believe WG FG is the exact same as 106FA.