PDA

View Full Version : Attn: those that detail with pressure washers...

Kris R
02-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Hello,

Ive recently had the chance to do a detail with a pressure washer. I have to say that the speed and low water consumption has made me want to buy one. Ive never had the desire to detail with a pressure washer in the past with all the NO RINSE options and the general two bucket hand wash method. But after looking into the foam cannon, and using the PW just for rinsing I must say it has its place.

Now. I dont need anything much more than 2000 psi Im sure. I know for as often as I will use it that I dont want an electric one. I want gas.

For those that use a foam cannon what PSI is your machine? Does it take a lot?

Portability is a big deal to me so I dont want anything too big.

Please share what unit you use and what your experiences with using a PW for details have been so far!

Thanks guys! :buffing:

Kristopher1129
02-26-2012, 09:19 PM
I forget what psi my pressure washer is. But, it's a beast, ha. Probably around 2000 or so I would think, maybe a bit more of capability.

You don't need too much pressure for the foam cannon. I don't want to recommend a particular psi, cause I don't want to steer you wrong. But, I would think anything 1500 and up would be fine.

I love pressure washers. I won't be without one. They have so many uses. I bought one of those attachments to spray out the undercarriage, great for nasty floor mats (especially rubber ones), door jambs, rims, etc.

I use mine to keep my shop clean as well. Spray the garage doors down, my rubber non slip mats, cleaning the extractor tank, vac tanks, brushes, among other things. I don't know how detailers live without them to be honest. I know you can get by...but really, it's a necessity to me.

ShineTimeDetail
02-26-2012, 11:03 PM
The 2 Kris's of the site ;)

fenderpicks
02-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Almost all gas PW is around the same size, as like body metal structure size.... so idk how u going to want a more portable gas powered one.

I have a 2,700 psi craftsman and it works wonder along with my foamcannon

Matt
02-27-2012, 12:37 AM
Hello,

My washer is a super cheap Karcher electric that puts out 1700 PSI (1500 Watt electric motor).

I find it runs the foam cannon just fine.

Take a look at this thread for some pics from my foam cannon:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/46659-thoughts-autogeek-foamaster-3.html

supercharged
02-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Karcher died on me after 18 months, as it is not meant to last...Now I have Cam Spray...It is not cheap ($650) but it is worth every penny...1450 PSI. It is hard as a rock. I love it! Love the fact that I can "make it snow", applying "shaving cream" to my car...after it sits for 5-10 minutes, rinse, and 80-90% dirt/grime is gone...then just wash the rest...

kronos
02-27-2012, 02:11 AM
Now. I dont need anything much more than 2000 psi Im sure. I know for as often as I will use it that I dont want an electric one. I want gas.

Portability is a big deal to me so I dont want anything too big.

Please share what unit you use and what your experiences with using a PW for details have been so far!

Thanks guys! :buffing:

This is what I use.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Pressure_Washer.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/34897)

I bought it from Costco for $150 + tax, shipping included. If you know Costco, then you know about their return warranty. They still have it. I mostly use it to pre-rinse cars before I even lay the wash mitt on them. I've removed thick layers of dirt from cars with this awesome machine. I really really like it so far.

SeaJay's
02-27-2012, 06:55 AM
I had a 1200 PSI electric pressure washer that ran my foam cannon with no problems. That one has since crapped out on me, so I upgraded to a 2000 PSI electric Karcher X series from powerwashersdirect.com.

So far I love it! I detailed a Mack truck yesterday that had mud and dirt caked in the wheel wells and tires. The pressure washer made quick work of them before I even scrubbed.