PDA

View Full Version : Advice re: Orange peel after respray

Daft_detail
02-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Hi folks, need some advice...

Coles Notes:
My 06 Mini went into BMW for rust warranty in December. Basically for the last two weeks of production for my car, seam welds from the door, hood and trunk supplier were contaminated so they started rusting.
So BMW put on brand new OE doors, trunk and hood and did a full re-spray save the white roof and bumpers.
Went to pick up the car and they did an okay job...but there were a few fish eyes, a run and a lot of orange peel. AFAIK, all normal stuff that can corrected once the paint cures. So they told me to come back in the new year to do so.
I dropped the car off this week and just got a call to pick it up.

This is where it gets fun.
BMW collision guy tells me they corrected the run and fish eyes, but that the orange peel is still there after the "polishing". I question this and he suggests I "wash the car a few times and the orange peel will go away"
LMFAO. Wut???
I was getting mad so I told him to talk to management about fixing this and get back to me.
Have a feeling they just want me to go away now that they got their significant pay-out from BMW corporate....

I bought the car CPO'ed from another BMW/Mini dealer, and had them respray the hood and a door because of chips, and the work came out absolutely flawless. So that's the finish I expected for this work.

I know not everyone is as picky for paint as us, but honestly if I saw my car on the lot now I'd walk away or demand the orange peel be addressed...So I assume it has affected the resale?

I'm not comfy wet-sanding the entire car myself yet, no paint gauge and I don't have the time.

Am I asking too much from them? I don't feel that the finish/texture matches OEM?

Thanks

P

alko
02-25-2012, 12:18 PM
If I were you, I'd be persistent with them, and ask them to fix the issue. eep going higher up in the management chain if you have to, and if they don't fix the issue, tell them you'll go somewhere else to get it fixed and then send them the bill. If they get nasty with you get nasty back and reach out to the corporate office and BBB.

I know you frustration. Other my chime in on what you could possibly do yourself, but I think that may come down to wetsanding it. Good luck.

On another note, welcome to the forum! I see this is your first post. Make sure you make another thread to introduce yourself.

PAR Detailing
02-25-2012, 01:11 PM
I would have to see the orange peel but I think it would be hard to match the orange peel to the factory orange peel. I am sure the really good painters can though. I have done a little painting in my garage on some old cars/rolling turds and I couldnt get the orange peel to match.... but Im no pro painter and wont ever claim to be.

Jaretr1
02-25-2012, 01:34 PM
I would demand the same finish quality that was OEM. Otherwise the resale value of your car will be suspect, on top of the car not looking as good.