PDA

View Full Version : Just starting to detail, swirl remover help

joejoe22
03-06-2007, 07:38 PM
I currently just purchased a PC kit that came with edge green, orange, and white pads. I also was apart of another website that heavily pushed adam's polishes products. As a result of not doing my homework i bought an adam polishes essential kit. They have some good products but it doesnt fufill the hype that i recieved from this other forum. Their swirl remover is weak and i'm looking for a new swirl remover. I then looked into Menzerna and bought some intestive polish which is supposively pretty good. I'm getting my Porter Cable back in a few days from the manufacturer, warranty problems. Is the Pinnacle advance swirl remover stronger than XMT 3? How does wolfgang or Dp compare to Pinnacle. I know everyone has there prefernce but i've been wasting too much money on swirl removers that arn't abrasive enough. Thanks for helping me, you probably get these noob questions all the time.

sparkie
03-06-2007, 09:29 PM
Adam's dose have some nice stuff, I use some of their products. Swirls you need to step to XMT, PB, or OP IMO. What I've seen XMT3 will take care are about anything. Can't commit about Pinnacle advance swirl remover, never have used it.

joejoe22
03-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I have their butter wax, vrt, car wash, and detail spray. Their detail spray is very good, i love it. The vrt is ok, i expected more. Have you tried their in and out spray? I need something to restore that deep black color to my gray plastic by the windshield wipers. Also, is the butter wax as good as other waxes out there? I have NXT but haven't tried it because of Michigan weather. Also, you have any suggestions for keeping a black car protected from swirls, any wax that will protect it?

orngez
03-07-2007, 01:58 AM
just so you know Adam's products are just a rebadging of another very popular websites products...they are okay.... but are designed for bulk use at car washes that do detailing....i hate to say it but it is overpriced stuff that is normally sold by the gallon to use for the quicky 1 hour detail places...still works...but like you said not as impressive as some of AG's stuff....nothing against bulk brand stuff...this is just not the best bulk stuff you can get....back when i was thinking about starting up a detailing business i found the website that supplies Adam's products and they even tried to use his website as a selling point to the popularity of their stuff....as far as protecting from swirls...the two bucket method of washing and proper drying can eliminate 90 percent of swirl mark developement...always wipe up and down or left to right...never is a swirling motion....this includes all detailing steps whenever possible....most waxes for dark colored cars like pb natty blue does a good job in hiding any swirls but nothing beats getting them polished out in the first place...

joejoe22
03-07-2007, 11:10 AM
I get my PC back tomorrow! So i will post some before and after pictures when i'm done. Hopefully the menzerna will take out all the swirls, if not, off to XMT 3.

blucpe
03-07-2007, 12:05 PM
hi joejoe22. just saw your thread. get yourself a good light polish. there are a ton out there. meguiars,mothers,pinnacle, adams, just to name afew. i recommend using an orbital doing a small section at a time work the polish in until it breaks down. then remove the residue and apply a coat of a good wax. hope this helps. it's all in the prep before you wax. blucpe

sparkie
03-08-2007, 05:28 AM
I have their butter wax, vrt, car wash, and detail spray. Their detail spray is very good, i love it. The vrt is ok, i expected more. Have you tried their in and out spray? I need something to restore that deep black color to my gray plastic by the windshield wipers. Also, is the butter wax as good as other waxes out there? I have NXT but haven't tried it because of Michigan weather. Also, you have any suggestions for keeping a black car protected from swirls, any wax that will protect it?
Yes I have the in and out spray, awesome stuff but a little pricey. Try stoners, I think you will like it, it's cheaper.

Nimble
03-13-2007, 08:03 PM
For swirl/defect removal, I like:

Optimum compound and polish
Four star pro medium and light cut compounds
Menzerna intensive polish and final polish 2
I hear the new formula pinnacle twins work well, but at $20 for 16 oz, even menzerna is far cheaper.

Best product/price is the optimum and four star pro line.

bambo2888
03-13-2007, 08:38 PM
xmt3 is good, but it will NOT remove some deeper imperfections without at least 2-3 coats. its not bad if you have some extra time, but i would wait until xmt4 is available, which should be soon....

ryandamartini
03-13-2007, 08:44 PM
The XMT series is formulated for PC Use and can do some pretty spectacular things on the PC with a cutting pad [yellow] and a firm hand of pressure.

Anything farther in terms of abbrasiveness, you should look into using a 4" pad with powergloss on the extreme end, however I think that OC on speed 6 and alot of working time will do great for you in terms of heavy correction.

One choice you need to look at is Pinnacle's offerings in the form of the Pinnacle Twins. The polishes are just superbly formulated with results in mind. The polishes break down spectacularly and remove and round scratched edges so nicely. After seeing this product in action at detailfest, I whole heartedly recommend giving this product a look.

Reddwarf
03-13-2007, 08:49 PM
How about Poorboy's SSR 3 (http://www.autogeek.net/pbhsr16.html)?

bambo2888
03-13-2007, 09:04 PM
The XMT series is formulated for PC Use and can do some pretty spectacular things on the PC with a cutting pad [yellow] and a firm hand of pressure.

Anything farther in terms of abbrasiveness, you should look into using a 4" pad with powergloss on the extreme end, however I think that OC on speed 6 and alot of working time will do great for you in terms of heavy correction.

One choice you need to look at is Pinnacle's offerings in the form of the Pinnacle Twins. The polishes are just superbly formulated with results in mind. The polishes break down spectacularly and remove and round scratched edges so nicely. After seeing this product in action at detailfest, I whole heartedly recommend giving this product a look.

hmm, perhaps in my next order...