PDA

View Full Version : black out honda badges

Pages : [1] 2

86zguy
02-24-2012, 10:14 PM
this may not be detailing but i thought i would share some work i did for my friend on his 2007 civic si. he wanted his honda emblem blacked out. he was very pleased with the results. sorry the pics are a bit bad dont have a good camera so i took it on my phone ill try to get a pic wen its washed and in the sun. let me know what u guys think!

ExoticAutoDetai
02-24-2012, 10:34 PM
You don't mind sharing the step process? I can't really tell how it ended looking at the pics here looking forward for the new pics. Did you clear coated?

86zguy
02-24-2012, 10:41 PM
You don't mind sharing the step process? I can't really tell how it ended looking at the pics here looking forward for the new pics. Did you clear coated?

emblem was lightly sanded and 4 light to medium coats of krylon fusion plastic gloss black paint applied then i waited 45 min and hit it with 6 coats of krylon fusion plastic clear coat waited an hour and removed all tape ill have pictures up tomorrow wen the car is washed and i also did the rear emblem and ill have a pic of that too same process

ExoticAutoDetai
02-24-2012, 11:09 PM
How light was it sanded? Was it wet sand or dry? What kind of adhesive you used to put it back?

WolfNForest
02-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Looks like a neat project. Thanks for sharing!

86zguy
02-24-2012, 11:17 PM
How light was it sanded? Was it wet sand or dry? What kind of adhesive you used to put it back?
dry sand with scotch pad till slightly dull the paint doesnt require it but i did it for better bonding. no adhesive, i sprayed it while it was on the car, made sure to cover the whole car and taped off every thing that wasnt supposed to be painted

AKmikeSSter04
02-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Looks great. I want to do this on my SS but I'm scared of not putting it back in the same spot

86zguy
02-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Looks great. I want to do this on my SS but I'm scared of not putting it back in the same spot

maybe try marking the spot with tape or a wax based crayon plus the emblem is difficult to pull off make sure you use a emblem specific adhesive to put back on, no jipo stuff

03TorchedMach1
02-25-2012, 09:11 PM

Use a product called Plasti-Dip. It can be found at Lowes in the paint section. Just tape a square around the emblem and spray away. Dont tape directly around the badges because when you peel the tape off, the coating will come off the emblem. The good thing about this product is, you can peel it off if you don't like it. It holds up well too.

New Pics of the Cobra(Plastidip'd Emblems) - SVTPerformance (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/pics-videos-buffet-149/779003-new-pics-cobra-plastidipd-emblems.html)

Klasse Act
02-25-2012, 09:24 PM
I had something like this done as well but I took my g/f's Mazda 6 to my favorite vinyl shop and they wrapped in quality black vinyl. I agree about the Plasti-dip, I've seen this stuff with my own eyes and it really gets the job done!

OP, looks like you were very thorough with your process, good job!

86zguy
02-26-2012, 01:58 PM
alright guys sorry for the wait but heres some better pics

Ted S.
02-26-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm experimenting on something like this for my Bronco II. Getting the emblems re-chromed is too effing expensive for me, but a few cans of paint is pretty cheap. I bet the BII pony emblems will end up looking bad-ass!Im the MAN

SkateForGirl
02-26-2012, 03:58 PM
I can't really tell. It still looks chrome in the pictures

SkateForGirl
02-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Never mind I see them on page 2. Looks good man. You ever tried plasti-dip out?

86zguy
02-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Never mind I see them on page 2. Looks good man. You ever tried plasti-dip out?

thanks i had to add the pics later. no i have not tried plasti-dip but i have heard about it. i might have to try it some time tho seems like a pretty good product not sure how long it lasts tho.