PDA

View Full Version : New Pads... Any difference?

swanicyouth
02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
I just polished my black sapphire metallic BMW M Roadster with the beveled edge LC 7.5" pads and the old PC 7424. I found it really hard to keep the pads from bogging down and often had to run the machine at 5.5. I used the Wolfgang twins and got good results, but I decided to get some 5.5" LC Smart Pads, hoping future polishing would go easier with the smaller pads. I'm pretty new, does anyone know if the smaller pads will make a huge difference? It seemed to take a lot of pressure, passes, and time to work the polish with this combo. Will smaller pads help? Or us the old 7424 just a hard machine To do correction with? Although I bought this machine 5 years ago, I have only used it a few times, as I could never get much results out of it. Finally I decided to increase the speed and pressure, and was able to get some real scratch removal, although it seemed the machine would bog down often. It seemed like back then, people were saying you really needed a rotary to do real paint correction, And now DAs are mostly recommended. Are the newer DA machines just more powerful?

Setec Astronomy
02-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Yes, things have changed. People use smaller, thinner pads on the PC, and there are things like Surbuf and MF. And yes, the new machines are more powerful.

Rix6
02-23-2012, 10:07 PM
7.5" is too big for that machine. You'll probably get plenty of feedback from 7424 owners and I imagine they are all going to say don't use pads larger than 5.5" with that machine. When you get your 5.5" pads, don't press so hard that the pads stop rotating. When they're just jiggling around, the machine isn't accomplishing a whole lot.

LSUFAN
02-23-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm not a 100% sure on the older pc7424 but i bought the pc7424xp with 6.5 inch pad and i could put the polisher on 6 and just place it on the hood and only have the weight of the polisher an it would still bog down an wouldnt spin the pads. i now have 5.5 inch pad and the pc works 1000x better.

swanicyouth
02-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the response. I received the smaller pads. And they look so tiny compared to the 7.5".

5.4 Shelby
02-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Those 7.5 pads are for rotary polishers.

Get the 5.5 inch Megs Microfiber DA system. You Pc will work much better with those.

opie_7afe
02-24-2012, 06:07 PM
:iagree: 100%. save the LC 7.5's for a rotary or trade them on here. you will think you bought a new polisher lol