PDA

View Full Version : Need opinion, machine or not?

Pages : [1] 2

e-dawg
02-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Hi guys. I am getting back into detailing, or thinking of getting back into it from a business perspective. I used to own a mobile service back in the early 90's and did everything by hand, which is probably why I didn't last that long lol.

My car is a 2010 VW GTI that I have meticulously taken care of, well at least in my eyes. With having thoughts about possibly getting back into detailing, I am looking to buying a machine or two. I did my car all by hand and wanted to get some opinions whether you guys think I should put a machine on my finish or not.

Thanks for any input.

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj357/hitop08/2010gti1.jpg

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj357/hitop08/2010gti2.jpg

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj357/hitop08/2010gti3.jpg

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj357/hitop08/2010gti4.jpg

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj357/hitop08/2010gti5.jpg

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj357/hitop08/2010gti6.jpg

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj357/hitop08/2010gti7.jpg

RhetoricMixes
02-22-2012, 06:08 PM
I like the car! Not to say you wont get great results from hand (i think you can get the same as machine) its just that you have to put in a lot more time and effort when doing a car by hand. If you going to be running a business a machine whether its a rotary or DA is essential to getting things done efficiently and fast. Id say to take a look at the current DA's on autogeeks website and then go from there.

e-dawg
02-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks appreciate that. Right, it would be a matter of saving time since time is money. So putting a machine on already good and well taken care of paint won't hurt it, but essentially enhance it?

RhetoricMixes
02-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks appreciate that. Right, it would be a matter of saving time since time is money. So putting a machine on already good and well taken care of paint won't hurt it, but essentially enhance it?

Not at all! Well it depends on what products and pads your using but generally speaking its the person using the machine who can harm the paint not the machine itself lol. Just read as much as you can before you re open for business since much has changed since the 90's as far as paint systems and the products used to maintain them.

Setec Astronomy
02-22-2012, 06:24 PM
That's a very nice job by hand, but you need a machine today if you are going to do this professionally. Things have changed since the early 90's. You have a lot of choices, but if I were you I would go with a MF system. Will you be working by yourself? What kind of budget do you have?

e-dawg
02-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Not at all! Well it depends on what products and pads your using but generally speaking its the person using the machine who can harm the paint not the machine itself lol. Just read as much as you can before you re open for business since much has changed since the 90's as far as paint systems and the products used to maintain them.

That's the problem lol. There is so much info here I'm trying to digest and it's frying my brain. Going back to the DA's, just when I think I have it drilled down to which one I want, I read another thread saying how great the other one is.

I think I'm leaning away from the PCXP though, I believe it has less vibration than previous revision from what I've read though, so I might be leaning towards the GG6 or Megs g110 v2.

RhetoricMixes
02-22-2012, 06:31 PM
That's the problem lol. There is so much info here I'm trying to digest and it's frying my brain. Going back to the DA's, just when I think I have it drilled down to which one I want, I read another thread saying how great the other one is.

I think I'm leaning away from the PCXP though, I believe it has less vibration than previous revision from what I've read though, so I might be leaning towards the GG6 or Megs g110 v2.

I know what you mean, it really is a lot of info when you first start reading all of it. I personally have the 7424xp and dont have any experience with the other DA's so im not much help there. What are you trying to accomplish with all your details? What i mean is are you detailing just as a hobby, enthusiast, fully mobile, foxed location?

e-dawg
02-22-2012, 06:34 PM
That's a very nice job by hand, but you need a machine today if you are going to do this professionally. Things have changed since the early 90's. You have a lot of choices, but if I were you I would go with a MF system. Will you be working by yourself? What kind of budget do you have?

Thank you. Yes I will be working by myself and in my garage to be exact. I much prefer to work in a controlled environment, and I'll also have all of my supplies in order. I am very clean, organized and meticulous in my processes. Yes, I am aware that there are some potential customers that are wary of someone working out of their garage, but that is my choice at the moment.

My budget is very good, I have quite a bit of money to get what I need. I also have time, my job only requires I be there about three days a week, so I don't really have to worry too much about being really slow starting out, which it will be I know that.

I also thought about attending on of the detailing schools, but they are very very pricey. I was thinking one day that I can use that money to buy equipment and supplies. Steamer, water extractor, a DA or two...etc

Setec Astronomy
02-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Spend a lot of time here on the forums, you don't need to go to a class (although it will get you up and going faster). All the DA's are good, I think I might start out with the GG 6" or the G110, then get a Flex 3401 as a second machine later on. I love the MF systems, but if you are going to be doing high end work in your garage, you could do foam, as well.

I originally thought you might be doing mobile high volume, and for that the Meg's MF system is so easy and does a great job as a two step.

e-dawg
02-22-2012, 06:41 PM
I know what you mean, it really is a lot of info when you first start reading all of it. I personally have the 7424xp and dont have any experience with the other DA's so im not much help there. What are you trying to accomplish with all your details? What i mean is are you detailing just as a hobby, enthusiast, fully mobile, foxed location?

Fixed location with possibly having customers as an end result.

RhetoricMixes
02-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Yes detailing school is expensive but IMO worth it if your into detailing for the long run. Dont worry about detailing out of your garage, many times its not worth it to rent a space dedicated to detailing unless you run a full time business from it. Instead of confusing you with many different polishes, compounds and other products from many different companies i recommend that you do as much reading as possible about all the vendors AG has and then decide from there what you feel comfortable using. Try as many products as you can afford and have time for and make yourself a system with those products.

e-dawg
02-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Spend a lot of time here on the forums, you don't need to go to a class (although it will get you up and going faster). All the DA's are good, I think I might start out with the GG 6" or the G110, then get a Flex 3401 as a second machine later on. I love the MF systems, but if you are going to be doing high end work in your garage, you could do foam, as well.

I originally thought you might be doing mobile high volume, and for that the Meg's MF system is so easy and does a great job as a two step.

Yes I've been on these forums day and night trying to get a leg up on all the new technology and products available. Gone are the days when it was just Megs and Mothers lol. I prefer Chemical Guys though for me personally speaking.

It is even mid boggling with all of the different pads available. All claiming to be the right product for the job.

e-dawg
02-22-2012, 07:04 PM

So we all have to start someplace eh? Looks like production detailing will be the critical starting point. I'm just more of a person who wants to work on one automobile at a time, striving for perfection and high quality as opposed to high volume and express details for the masses. But that's where the bread and butter is at?

The thought of cleaning peanut butter and other assorted grunge out of the back of a mini-van makes me cringe lol. I was hoping to start out with cars whose owners were a bit more savvy about what it meant to take care of their car.

tw33k2514
02-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Peanut butter is the least of your worries lol.

You just have to market yourself to the client you want. Will there be big bucks in highend details? probably not.

Vegas Transplant
02-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Hi guys.

Thanks for any input.

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj357/hitop08/2010gti5.jpg

Those flakes are really poppin'.