PDA

View Full Version : Which Microfibers Towels do I need? Too many choices...Overwhelmed...Help

Pages : [1] 2

AdamsImport
02-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Hi guys,

I am trying to stock up on some towels, and right now I only have the bulk microfiber towels from Costco.

Is there really any difference between the quality of microfiber towels? Which ones do I need?

I am setting up a workspace for mostly production detailing, but I like having good quality tools to get the job done.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2199_45697217

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2198_92369538

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2199_45114876
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2199_92233446

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2199_96105430

embolism
02-22-2012, 01:53 PM
get some chinchilla's for waterless and rinseless washing, and a heap of cobra rolled edge, maybe some black towels to use exclusively for wheels (black hides the stains)

look for 70% polyester, 30% polyamide for the best combination of strength and softness. 75/25 is ok too. 80/20 is what those costco mf's are made of... still good for jambs and general cleaning...

mother's waffle weave drying towel is good
and maybe a glass towel...

oldmodman
02-22-2012, 02:08 PM
I have about a hundred towels. All different kinds. From the worst towel (Costco yellow) to my favorite (an orangey looking really soft towel I got here that they don't seem to have anymore.)

The only towel I regret buying was a towel that had the edges cut with what looks like a hot wire. The edge is really rough and I only use them for wheel now. They are black and about 16 x 16

The Cobra Supreme is my favorite towel that Autogeek currently has. But some people feel that it absorbs too much product and is wasteful. But I really like them.

AdamsImport
02-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Alright, thank you guys, I will be putting together my order in a few and want to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I wish there was a "package" just for towels to make it Bubba-proof for bubba's like me. Too many options sometimes is a little too much for me!

drewberg11
02-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Autogeek sells a really nice cobra microfiber towel kit for $50. Comes with an assortment of microfibers. 4 thin ones and 6 really nice plush towels.

ski2
02-22-2012, 04:00 PM
This chart should help you out Cobra Deluxe Jr. 600 Microfiber Towel, 16 x 16 inches (http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-deluxe-jr--microfiber-towel.html)

Stang Man
02-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Just get whatever is BOGO ;)

You can never have too many MF's

ScottB
02-22-2012, 04:24 PM
The white Sonus towels with red ribbing are nice.

WolfNForest
02-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Autogeek sells a really nice cobra microfiber towel kit for $50. Comes with an assortment of microfibers. 4 thin ones and 6 really nice plush towels.

I think I'm going to get one of these when I make my next purchase.

tw33k2514
02-22-2012, 05:05 PM
The white Sonus towels with red ribbing are nice.
My favorite polish/wax removal towel by far.

Other than that I have probably 20 glass towels, 18 rinseless/waterless towels (rolled edge), 10 drying towels, and a lot of crap towels I use for the dirty stuff...

Favorite Planet
02-28-2012, 04:27 PM
I feel like I'm in the same situation. I'm definitely a hobbyist and and just looking to keep my car as in good of shape as I reasonably can and when looking to purchase microfiber I can never settle on what I need.

I'm actually going to go the ONR route when washing my truck and I should look for MFs with rolled edges? What would be the main difference between a drying MF and a MF with rolled edges that you would use with a waterless/rinseless wash?

Durability?

Vegas Transplant
02-28-2012, 05:01 PM
There is a page titled how to care for microfiber on the store page under microfiber.

CASH XRS
02-28-2012, 05:59 PM
So here's where I'm at for this: I am going to use the Guzzler waffle weaves for drying. Get a pack of the Cobra supreme's for when I use quick detailer in between washes and the Cobra Miracle towel for wax removal. But what am I using or what is good for Compound removal, polish removal. What do I use for door jambs and glass cleaners? What tasks is it ok to use something from the local store?

CASH XRS
03-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Bump with another question: As of now I will have the Guzzler combo for drying and the Miracle towels for wiping off waxes.

I am on a semi tight budget - and I can't justify spending $80 on MFs at the moment. So I was going to jump to store brand for now. I will be using these for quick detailing, glass, door jambs and interiors. What is a good ratio, are 80/20s good enough for these jobs?

Also, how do you guys take care of yours between washes? I know some people use ziploc and others use totes. My only thing with using a compartment is I'm afraid that if I leave them in there not in a ziploc that they will get contaminated? What are your suggestions? Ziploc the best way to go?

flyinion
03-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Bump with another question: As of now I will have the Guzzler combo for drying and the Miracle towels for wiping off waxes.

I am on a semi tight budget - and I can't justify spending $80 on MFs at the moment. So I was going to jump to store brand for now. I will be using these for quick detailing, glass, door jambs and interiors. What is a good ratio, are 80/20s good enough for these jobs?

Also, how do you guys take care of yours between washes? I know some people use ziploc and others use totes. My only thing with using a compartment is I'm afraid that if I leave them in there not in a ziploc that they will get contaminated? What are your suggestions? Ziploc the best way to go?

I think the Costco ones would be fine for what you're describing. You'll have to be careful with quick detailing but I think it could be done safely. I finally got around to picking some of them up a couple weeks ago and after washing them the first time I did the CD scratch test.

The only way I was able to cause any damage was pressing the edge into the CD and rubbing really vigorously. The main part of the towel did NOT cause any scratches.

If you are gently wiping with it you would probably be ok for QD use. I mostly just use mine for door jambs and interior type stuff though.