PDA

View Full Version : Can you say sever orange peel?

Pages : [1] 2

jamores23
02-22-2012, 09:13 AM
This is a brand new toyota tundra my buddy picked up yesterday. I have yet to see this much orange peel seems like the factory is getting worse and worse with there finishes....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Stang Man
02-22-2012, 09:16 AM
I've seen a some trucks have that along the rocker panel, to help protect against rock chips and the like- debris being thrown up by big tires.

Not sure if that is the case here, though.

alko
02-22-2012, 09:17 AM
I was getting ready to say the same as above but this is terrible!

MustangMikeFL
02-22-2012, 09:19 AM
I agree with stang man, I've seen it before on newer trucks. I think it's just a factory rugged type of coating that's just been clearcoated.

jekyl05
02-22-2012, 09:20 AM
I was getting ready to say the same as above but this is terrible!

same thought :iagree:

usually the material used to protect the lower panels will have sharper lines similiar to that of a racing/pin stripe

TroyScherer
02-22-2012, 09:40 AM
That is done on purpose from the factory. I help protect & hide road rash. If you ever look at older mazda miata's you will see the same thing.

The Pad Man
02-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Thats a chip guard type material, I would not suggest sanding it out.

jamores23
02-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Well the whole truck is like that but not as bad as the lower rocker panels. Even the back of the cab where it splits for the bed there o.p. Just like the bottom rockers. I just noticed I spelled severe wrong lol. Dang phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

alko
02-22-2012, 09:59 AM
same thought :iagree:

usually the material used to protect the lower panels will have sharper lines similiar to that of a racing/pin stripe

Yeah...My 08 Accord has this on the underbody, but it didn't come up onto the side panel. It was a nice sharp cutoff. This looks like its coming up onto the panel. I'm not diggin it at all! If I were him I'd go back to the lot and compare it to the other trucks ASAP!

Chris's FX4
02-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Yeah...My 08 Accord has this on the underbody, but it didn't come up onto the side panel. It was a nice sharp cutoff. This looks like its coming up onto the panel. I'm not diggin it at all! If I were him I'd go back to the lot and compare it to the other trucks ASAP!

:iagree:

My truck has the chip guard stuff, buts its only like 1.5inches up from the bottom and has a very definitive cut-off.

It looks very excessive in your pics and I've never seen it used that far up. I would see if other trucks on the lot are like that like alko said.

bl3ujay07
02-22-2012, 10:23 AM
off topic, but is that a silvia conversion i see in the reflection?

opie_7afe
02-22-2012, 11:56 AM
that type of peel is on alot of japanese cars and trucks, i have some of it on my celica, dont try to sand it off you hit primer before its even leveled out. and tundras/tacomas seem to have this worse but every new toyota truck ive seen has had it. but yeah its there to try and hide rock chips, some times its soft and rubbery feeling to help the debris bounce off. worse when its a white car and all the little nooks and crannies get yellowed/stained and takes forever to polish.

Tundra1316
02-22-2012, 12:31 PM
My truck has the same problem.
But it isn't as bad as your friends.
It also drives me crazy.
I was thinking of maybe wetsanding that same area. But i am not sure.

M0nk3y
02-22-2012, 01:56 PM
My truck has the same problem.
But it isn't as bad as your friends.
It also drives me crazy.
I was thinking of maybe wetsanding that same area. But i am not sure.

I think by wetsanding will do it no good, besides you just going through the clearcoat.

IIRC, that type of coating is applied, then painted over and clearcoated. There is no other way to fix it rather than sanding completely down, and repainting.

SkateForGirl
02-22-2012, 02:07 PM
Yea my S2000 has this too but its not that bad and its on the underside of the car so you cant see it unless you get on your back and look. You cant wet sand that or I wouldn't suggest it because its like a rubber coating.