PDA

View Full Version : advice on price list for hobby detailer

Pages : [1] 2

conthedon
02-22-2012, 03:24 AM
Okay, first of all I am only going to be starting part time work in the spring and summer by appointments. I am planning to only "mobile detail" within a 16 block radius, roughly 8 blocks south , 8 north. Essentially, I will be offering services as a "hobby detailer "for my local neighborhood. As parking spots can come at a premium in NYC (at times is it difficult for some to find parking), the customer can leave the car parked and I will go wash it. I am just looking to get some pocket money. I only work by hand, no machines, and plan to just an exterior only service (unless I get requests). I compared my prices to a couple car wash establishments. One, about 7 miles away which offers a wash n wash for for $45 or a hand wash for $25. Another popular one, 2 miles away off the highway charges $35 for a hand wash, roughly $13-15 for an automatic car wash. The convenience, and the fact that there are very limited establishments that do hand washes, created my price points. In no way will prices necessarily fall in line with pro mobile detail businesses or detailers that use machine..so keep in mind, leave it for what it is. I initially put $25 for basic wash to look reasonable as I will have to build clients and not sure if I would get business at $30 price point (as I have a feeling that people might not be willing to pay that much). But I ultimately did choose to bump it up to $30. Does this sound decent? Any improvements I can make? If people don't bite on $30 then should I reduce? My prices are listed on my facebook site, and for clients who don't have fb, I have a car web page with info, or I can email them the following info:

--------------------------------Basic Wash Packages------------------------------

PACKAGE 1: $30

Hand wash & Dry Exterior (2 bucket method: to avoid swirls created on paint)
Windows cleaned
Wheels/Rims cleaned

-------------------------------Wash & Wax Packages-----------------------------

PACKAGE 2: $50

Hand wash & Dry Exterior
Windows cleaned
Wheels/Rims cleaned
Tires dressed/shined
Spray wax

PACKAGE 3: $75

Hand wash & Dry Exterior
Windows cleaned
Wheels/Rims cleaned
Tires dressed/shined
Hand Polish
Spray wax

---------------------------Full Exterior Detail Packages-------------------------

PACKAGE 4: $100

Hand wash & Dry Exterior
Windows cleaned
Wheels/Rims cleaned
Tires dressed/shined
Bug and Tar Removal
Clay Exterior
Hand Polish
Spray wax

PACKAGE 5: $120

Hand wash & Dry Exterior
Windows cleaned
Wheels/Rims cleaned
Tires dressed/shined
Bug and Tar Removal
Clay Exterior
Hand Polish
Paint Sealant
Hand Wax: Premium Paste Carnauba Wax

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADDITIONAL SERVICES (a la carte): in addition to selecting one of five service packages offered above (some may already be included in a package):

(+5) Tires Dressed (leaves a shine on your tire)

(+$10) Quick Detailer/Gloss Enhancer (car & windows)
(leaves applied areas extra slick to the touch and glossy in appearance)

(+$15) Paint Sealant
(typically first layer of car paint protection by adhering to the paint)

(+$15) Spray Wax
(second layer of car paint protection by coating the paint)

(+$20) Hand Wax: Premium Paste Carnauba Wax
(premium quality second layer of car paint protection)

(+$25) Hand Polish
(cleans paint of minor surface imperfections, and adds shine/paint protection)

(+25) Clay Exterior
(the only method to remove bonded surface contaminants, leaving paint extremely clean and smooth. This makes polishing work better and the paint sealant/wax last longer)

***ALL PRICES APPLY TO MOST AVERAGE SIZED CARS; BUT ALL PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE ACCORDING TO THE CONDITION AND SIZE OF THE VEHICLE PRIOR TO SERVICE (owner will be informed of full cost prior to work)

***Note: All work is performed by hand, and a hand wash takes at least an hour to complete; Tips Appreciated

habeba86
02-23-2012, 12:46 PM
I think package 3 and up are too expensive, just from the stand point that youre not using a machine. You will be doing alot of work by hand and you still wont get much correction...its really a negative for you and your customers. And no interior work at all? For $75 I use a cleaner wax with a D/A and do a standard interior clean. I guess even for the cheaper ones, with no interior I might lower it a bit. And I wouldnt put "tips appreciated" in there either. Good luck with the venture!!!

shoeless89
02-23-2012, 12:56 PM
I agree, I wouldn't worry about hand polishing. Its just to much work for limited results IMO. I would lower the prices on #3,4,5 about $25 but then again thats just what the market where I am will stand. I have also received tips on about 75% of all the details I have ever done, I would do without mentioning tips at all. Your work will let them decide what they think its worth.

habeba86
02-23-2012, 01:44 PM
I agree, I wouldn't worry about hand polishing. Its just to much work for limited results IMO. I would lower the prices on #3,4,5 about $25 but then again thats just what the market where I am will stand. I have also received tips on about 75% of all the details I have ever done, I would do without mentioning tips at all. Your work will let them decide what they think its worth.

Good point, I think its too much based on my areas rates. If your region will pay that, then go for it!

conthedon
02-23-2012, 03:12 PM

I use Optimum Poli seal (AIO) as hand polish and its pretty good. 3, 4 5, @50, 75, 95. Then what about 1 + 2. And what should I then do for "a la carte" items, just eliminate?

shoeless89
02-23-2012, 03:20 PM
I use Optimum Poli seal (AIO) as hand polish and its pretty good. 3, 4 5, @50, 75, 95. Then what about 1 + 2. And what should I then do for "a la carte" items, just eliminate?

IMO dressing tires, using a QD or spray wax after wash, etc. should just be part of the package. I don't know anyone who would want to pay you $5 just to come dress their tires nor do I think you would want to do that. I don't really have any al-la carte options except upholstery/carpet extraction which requires an interior detail package anyway. Hope that helps. And as far as prices go its really up to you. Factors such as what are people willing to pay? How much are you looking to make an hour? Whats your product cost per vehicle all go into consideration.

bigdriver4u
02-23-2012, 03:55 PM
First, congratulations on your new venture. It can be as profitable and rewarding as you make it. My first suggestion is to consider what type of detailed you want to be. You've listed prices and services that restrict your time and quality of end product. I would suggest that you invest in a machine to reduce the time required to wax and give yourself the option to surface correct. If volume is your key, then by all means make your life easier. Now a second approach could be pricing for paint correction. You can charge more and attract clients that can afford more than a $30 wash . (Do you really want to haggle with someone about a $5 dollar add on to a $25 dollar wash)
Personally I'm selective about the cars that I take and my clients know that I'm not the cheapest person, but the standard that I pursue yields a high end result. Good luck

conthedon
02-23-2012, 05:49 PM
I went with the notion that a tire shine costs $2 at auto wash and that stuff is horrible and lasts a day. Machine is not an option, I live in nyc apartment, its street only work...A la carte, its not possible to do just a tire shine only, read it, it says in addition to choosing a package. granted no machine, im comparing prices to say a hand wash car wash which is $35 for a hand wash and another which is wash n wax $45 which id value my work over

conthedon
02-24-2012, 03:28 AM
..also no interior work, such as a quick vacuum job, (not yet at least) since I'm not sure how business will be, for ex. I'm not sure how forthcoming people will be handing over there keys to their car to a person as a hobby detailer and no established address etc. Possibly after the initial wash, or several repeat customers.. if customer requests then I will offer service. But i only have a car charger powered vacuum. I'm keeping "a la carte" and keep it visually simple by having only 2 set packages. So it will look something like this..again are the prices reasonable (in your opinion) for the type of non big business, hobby detailer..I'm looking to get $20 an hour.

--------------------------------Basic Wash Package------------------------------

Quick Detailer/Gloss Enhancer (entire car, windows, wheels)
Windows cleaned
Wheels/Rims cleaned

-------------------------------Wash & Wax Package-----------------------------

PACKAGE 2: $45

Hand wash & Dry Exterior
Quick Detailer/Gloss Enhancer (entire car, windows, wheels)
Windows cleaned
Wheels/Rims cleaned
Tires dressed/shined
Spray wax

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADDITIONAL SERVICES (a la carte): in addition to selecting one package offered above:

(+5) Tires Dressed (leaves a shine on your tire)

(+$10) Spray Wax
(second layer of car paint protection by coating the paint)

(+$15) Paint Sealant
(typically first layer of car paint protection by adhering to the paint)

(+$20) Hand Wax: Premium Paste Carnauba Wax
(premium quality second layer of car paint protection)

(+$25) Hand Polish
(cleans paint of minor surface imperfections, and adds shine/paint protection)

(+25) Clay Exterior
(the only method to remove bonded surface contaminants, leaving paint extremely clean and smooth. This makes polishing work better and the paint sealant/wax last longer)

***ALL PRICES APPLY TO MOST AVERAGE SIZED CARS; BUT ALL PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE ACCORDING TO THE CONDITION AND SIZE OF THE VEHICLE PRIOR TO SERVICE (owner will be informed of full cost prior to work)

***Note: All work is performed by hand, and a hand wash takes at least an hour to complete

Cosmin
02-24-2012, 10:13 AM
i wanna see a hand polish done on a black car in the sun....

about your adventure.. you will soon realize where your prices are.
you plan run a volume like price and package with 1 men ....

conthedon
02-24-2012, 10:55 AM

Actually if ur familar with nyc theyre a ton of buildings so its a little easier to find cars shaded then u might think, but i get your point. Helping with suggestion of price points would be more helpful, then ill realize it on my own. Since its by appointment, the price points wouldn't dictate how fast I would need to work etc. to keep up with demand. However I just want advice, if the prices are okay or need adjustment for a typical consumer with a daily driven car, not a consumer who has an exotic car.

conthedon
02-24-2012, 04:07 PM
revised:

--------------------------------Basic Wash Package------------------------------

Wash & Dry Wheels/Rims
Apply Quick Detailer/Gloss Enhancer (exterior, windows, wheels)
Clean Windows (Inside & Out)
Interior Vacuum

-------------------------------Wash & Wax Package-----------------------------

PACKAGE 2: $45

Hand wash & Dry Exterior
Wash & Dry Wheels/Rims
Apply Quick Detailer/Gloss Enhancer (entire car, windows, wheels)
Clean Windows (Inside & Out)
Interior Vacuum
Apply Tire Dressing
Apply Spray wax

WolfNForest
02-24-2012, 04:56 PM

I did that once when I was in High School, and it was a horrible idea.

conthedon
02-24-2012, 05:29 PM
I did that once when I was in High School, and it was a horrible idea.

thanks for no help

WolfNForest
02-24-2012, 09:21 PM
thanks for no help

I was referring to hand polishing/waxing a black car in the sun, not to your business venture. Best of luck! :bestwishes: