PDA

View Full Version : Layering PERL

Ted S.
02-21-2012, 03:23 PM
I haven't done this, but after commenting on Mark's thread http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/46517-durability-tire-dressings-important-2.html, I don't want his thread to shift to a discussion on PERL as a tire dressing.

I'd like some more opinions/experiences on PERLs durability when layering, mainly to see if it is worth it for me to try this. In my opinion, seems like a pain to have to apply something a couple/few times to see some decent durability on tires.

I've used PERL on my tires at 1:1 and 1:3, one layer, soaking the tires and letting sit for 30-45 minutes, then wiping/buffing excess, both resulted with the same dark look lasting up to a week at best, and cut that down to the first rain within the week if it does rain.

As stated, I'd like some more opinions on this specific subject.

As stated several times, not knocking on PERL.

:thankyousign: In advanced for any responses.

mwoolfso
02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
I usually put two layers on my tires and I get almost 3-4 weeks. Frankly, I am grateful and cannot explain it. The car is used daily.

Rsurfer
02-21-2012, 08:43 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/40314-review-carpro-perl.html

A-train
02-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Putting it on my daily driver with 2-3 layers at 1:1 I would say roughly two weeks. Also let me say that i have a 100 mile commute and do this 10 days a month. Im sure I would see double that if the commute was shorter. To me it's hard to beat the look of Perl tho.

shoeless89
02-21-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm with you Ted I hate layering tire dressings to get the durability or looks I want. I haven't tried PERL on my wheels mainly because I like Opti-bond to much. Something I've found is different tire hold tire dressings better or worse then others. Maybe its just my imagination.

PS. We need to play some Xbox soon!

tw33k2514
02-21-2012, 09:13 PM
many know that PERL is my favorite. 2 layers seem to last me about 3 weeks. Sure other dressings last longer, but PERL just has the look I like.

I agave yet to try the new BF yet though...

bl3ujay07
02-21-2012, 09:32 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/40314-review-carpro-perl.html

This made me pick up perl. Haven't layered it tho. Still randomly snowing here.

Rsurfer
02-21-2012, 10:33 PM
:iagree:

[QUOTE=shoeless89;624549]Something I've found is different tire hold tire dressings better or worse then others.

Ted S.
02-22-2012, 03:13 AM
I usually put two layers on my tires and I get almost 3-4 weeks. Frankly, I am grateful and cannot explain it. The car is used daily.

I'm with you Ted I hate layering tire dressings to get the durability or looks I want. I haven't tried PERL on my wheels mainly because I like Opti-bond to much. Something I've found is different tire hold tire dressings better or worse then others. Maybe its just my imagination.

PS. We need to play some Xbox soon!

Yup, gonna do some testing between it and my favorite tire dressing. See if I can do three layers of both.

I picked up a six pack this morning, and I'm of Thursday. I'll be on MW3.It'll be HAMMERTIME!!!!

Stang Man
02-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Ted,

One thing to think about- do you "Roll" the vehicle forward or backwards to get that part of the tire that was in contact with the ground? You all know what I'm talking about.

I have to run around the car a second time to hit these spots, so I just run over the entire tire once more anyways.

I use the Eagle 1 curved applicator, and keep it in a zip lock bag, so it is constantly "loaded". Because of this it really only takes half of a squirt on the pad to apply the second coat.

It takes me less than 3 minutes, from start to finish, to dress my tires- and that includes rolling the car.

Ted S.
02-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Ted,

One thing to think about- do you "Roll" the vehicle forward or backwards to get that part of the tire that was in contact with the ground? You all know what I'm talking about.

I have to run around the car a second time to hit these spots, so I just run over the entire tire once more anyways.

I use the Eagle 1 curved applicator, and keep it in a zip lock bag, so it is constantly "loaded". Because of this it really only takes half of a squirt on the pad to apply the second coat.

It takes me less than 3 minutes, from start to finish, to dress my tires- and that includes rolling the car.

Yup, I roll to get the missed spots. Thanks for the tip.Im the MAN

Stang Man
02-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Yup, I roll to get the missed spots. Thanks for the tip.Im the MAN

No problem! I just think you'll find that second coat to be more of an overall "touch-up", and takes no time at all.

Best of luck, please post back with your results! :props:

Rix6
02-22-2012, 05:24 PM
An easy trick for rolling the car, assuming you are parked on a smooth, flat surface and it is safe to do so (you're not on the street, etc.), is to put your car in neutral with no e-brake. When you want to roll it just put your hand on top of the tire tread and roll the car in the direction you want it to go. The leverage of the tire/wheel makes it easy to move by hand, much more so than pushing or pulling the car. Maybe a lot of you know this already, maybe some of the youngsters have never thought to give it a try.

Additional safety tips for youngsters eager to try out something new:

-Make sure the car won't roll anywhere on it's own if you put it in neutral with no e-brake. It's a good idea for it to stop on its own if you make it roll.

-something to act as a wheel chock a couple feet fore and a couple feet aft of a tire or two in case the surface you're parked on suggests the car has a mind of its own. A block of wood, a particularly dry, thick, and despised hardcover text book, etc.

Nothing I hate more than to get in the car, and start it up just to move it a foot.

Stang Man
02-22-2012, 05:31 PM
An easy trick for rolling the car, assuming you are parked on a smooth, flat surface and it is safe to do so (you're not on the street, etc.), is to put your car in neutral with no e-brake. When you want to roll it just put your hand on top of the tire tread and roll the car in the direction you want it to go. The leverage of the tire/wheel makes it easy to move by hand, much more so than pushing or pulling the car. Maybe a lot of you know this already, maybe some of the youngsters have never thought to give it a try.

Additional safety tips for youngsters eager to try out something new:

-Make sure the car won't roll anywhere on it's own if you put it in neutral with no e-brake. It's a good idea for it to stop on its own if you make it roll.

-something to act as a wheel chock a couple feet fore and a couple feet aft of a tire or two in case the surface you're parked on suggests the car has a mind of its own. A block of wood, a particularly dry, thick, and despised hardcover text book, etc.

Nothing I hate more than to get in the car, and start it up just to move it a foot.

Good tip! My driveway is sloped enough that I just hop in, slip it in neutral, and roll a bit- no need to start the engine or anything :props: