PDA

View Full Version : Is durability of tire dressings that important?

Pages : [1] 2

WRAPT C5Z06
02-21-2012, 01:18 PM
If I can get a week out of a tire dressing, I'm more than satisfied. Being detailing fanatics, don't you all wash your car every week, then re-apply? Those that complain that dressings wash off in the rain, does it really matter if your car is dirty, while your tires are still shiny? Just wondering. :)

shoeless89
02-21-2012, 01:23 PM
If I can get a week out of a tire dressing, I'm more than satisfied. Being detailing fanatics, don't you all wash your car every week, then re-apply? Those that complain that dressings wash off in the rain, does it really matter if your car is dirty, while your tires are still shiny? Just wondering. :)

For myself, yes in the summer I probably wash my car at LEAST once a week so it works out fine if I only get a week of durability. In the winter I wash when I can and I'm not really as worried about my tire dressing anyway, its more of a protective wash then a beauty wash.

For peoples cars I detail, I want the longest tire dressing I can find to use on their cars. For me thats been Opti-bond. Before everyone chimes in, I've used UTTG but most of my customers or um clients? like the look of the tire dressings better even though they won't last as long.

Flannigan
02-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Personally I don't care how long it lasts if it looks good, but seeing as I detail way more customer vehicles than personal vehicles, durability is important to me. I don't want a customer to feel like the products I use will wear off after just a week. That is why durability is important to me in a tire dressing.

rider9195
02-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Not really for me. Only if if wears off after a quick drive which is annoying. But usually I will just reapply after the next wash, so it is not a big deal.

embolism
02-21-2012, 01:34 PM
I really over applied some dp gloss gel recently and the tires looked great for about a day. Stupid winter

at least the tires matched the rest of the car...

tw33k2514
02-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Personally I don't care how long it lasts if it looks good, but seeing as I detail way more customer vehicles than personal vehicles, durability is important to me. I don't want a customer to feel like the products I use will wear off after just a week. That is why durability is important to me in a tire dressing.
My thoughts exactly.

I want my customers to be completely satisfied for a long time.

dad07
02-21-2012, 01:44 PM

:iagree:

timaishu
02-21-2012, 01:46 PM
I reapply at every wash. However though I dont wash every week. Sometimes I will wait up to 3-4 weeks on occassion.

Its nice to have one that atleast keeps the tires dark till then.

Meticulous-Detail
02-21-2012, 01:55 PM
I applied Megs ASD a month ago and just ran my Highlander through the wash yesterday and it still looks good. I have been very pleased with Megs ASD in both the looks and durabilty department.

I am doing a test on my Ford Fusion bt Megs ASD and Adams Super VRT. All tires cleaned with APC and 2 dressed with ASD and 2 with ASVRT.

Vegas Transplant
02-21-2012, 02:01 PM
don't you all wash your car every week, then re-apply?

I actually wash and/or ONR every 3-4 days. Only stripping and re-applying tire dressing if needed.

does it really matter if your car is dirty, while your tires are still shiny? Just wondering. :)

Yes, it does really matter. One car is a silver Sebring convertible that doesn't show dirt well.
The other is an olive metallic Sedan DeVille and the traffic film from driving in rain/wet conditions rarely show above door trim,Yet the rear bumper shows film the most.

Even on the day after rain or salt- I still have just about the shiniest vehicle travelling on RT 214.

timaishu
02-21-2012, 02:02 PM
One product I am very suprised with is TW wet and black. That stuff claims to be glossy but in reality is actually more off a matte dark finish. It also lasts for several weeks and doesnt dissappear when it rains.

SRTSean
02-21-2012, 02:06 PM

Durability matters because tires with huge grey streaks across them make a car look dumpy. I don't care if my tires are still shiny, but it would be nice if they stayed decent looking longer than one 30 minute drive in the wet. Why bother even using a dressing at that point? May as well just scrub them super clean and call it a day. At least they wouldn't have big dirt streaks across them...

Edit: Probably more of an issue for me in Seattle than for you in California.

Ted S.
02-21-2012, 02:12 PM
I like to get at least a week out of a tire dressing, more is better as long as it looks just like it was applied. Nothing pisses me off more than putting a tire dressing on, it looking really nice for one, maybe two days, then crap; or rain washes it away, or streaks it, etc. (303 and PERL come to my mind here)

I like a dressing that won't streak or wash off, and looks really good for at least a week, maybe two. Pinnacle, DP, and WG all do this well. WG is my preference.

I think I will get the BF sample with my next order, and maybe get some optimum.

EDIT: With the rain, I can always QD to get the paint looking fresh again. Can't QD tires. :)

Tundra_10
02-21-2012, 02:12 PM
I did not read all the postings so I hope I am not repeating someone but this is my spin on durability. For myself, no it would not matter. As you said, we wash our cars enough that durability is not as much of a concerning factor as we rewash our cars and pamper them pretty regularly. However I think for those of you that do this for a living, it would be a more factor. I think psychologically it would seem like "more bang for the buck" for the customer if their ride stayed looking good longer and might be more apt to come back and justify the cost.

If you have a customer that spends $500 on a correction and a week later it rains and after it rains the car does not still look fresh they might think it was not money well spent. Flip it around and it rains and the water is beading like crazy, even off the tires, trim, wheel wells, etc they will still have that same initial smile on their face because everything still looks really good.

I could be wrong, but thats my .02. I think psychologically for the customer its better to have a longer lasting dressing.

Also I think it would be a nice service to offer your customers, maybe say free tire shining every other week in between detailing but they have to come to your place to take you up on it. It would not cost you that much and could segway to other services offered, etc. Anyway I am done ranting lol

Tundra_10
02-21-2012, 02:16 PM
it looking really nice for one, maybe two days, then crap; or rain washes it away, or streaks it, etc. (303 and PERL come to my mind here)

Pinnacle, DP, and WG all do this well. WG is my preference.

I think I will get the BF sample with my next order, and maybe get some optimum.

Ted, you are making me worry about the PERL I bought, one of the main reasons I bought it is I thought it was pretty durable, good stuff. Ugh. However I am excited to see you like DP because I just bought 2 bottles from the current BOGO, I really like wolfgang as well. I do want to try that DF stuff but am not sure if I want to try the spray or the gel. Let me know what you get and how you like it compared to WG or DP!