PDA

View Full Version : Questions about detailing with an air compressor

Pages : [1] 2

Kris R
02-21-2012, 11:43 AM
I have a few questions that Im lost on. I have a LARGE RIGID wet/dry vac that I use when Im washing a car. I use the large crevice tool and I use the filtered exhaust vent to turn the van into a high powered blower. As Im drying I lead with the end of the tool to blow out water from every crack, headlights, trim, mirrors etc. The result is a FAST shiny spot free wash and dry job. I had a smaller van that I did the same thing with but the hose was a lot smaller therefore the air output wasn't nearly as great. Im thinking of buying an air compressor and perhaps doing the same thing with that instead. Since the air is more concentrated does that mean it won't work as effectively?

Do any of you use air compressors to blow out the interior?

Whats the smallest compressor I can use the TORNADOR attachment with and still have it work as it should?

ANy help with all these mixed questions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

DealerDetailer
02-21-2012, 12:00 PM
A matter of fact I do use my stalls air line to blow out extremely messy interiors - I just detach the Tornador from it and attach my air wand or you could just use your Tornador also. I also have those same options for blowing out all the exterior molds and cracks also.

I also use the same process at home, but don't have access to the massive body shop air compressor - just a 5gallon at my house, still plenty of power and would work for you to also.

If you get the Tornador Black it has ALOT more power and is MUCH more quiet that the original and uses less air at the same time.

Check out this link about someone asking a similar question - my post is #5
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/46132-tornado-black-has-anyone-bought-used-one.html

Robert8194
02-21-2012, 12:06 PM
I use the blow gun and Black Tornador to blow out the interior and to clean doors, dash and seats. Sometimes even use on carpet. The air gun is very effective in blowing junk out from under seats and in seat tracks.

RaskyR1
02-21-2012, 12:40 PM
I find compressed air to be a must when detailing interiors. I also use it to blow out the nooks and crannies on the exterior after a wash, but a leaf blower or Master Blaster will be more effective in drying the exterior of the car.

wgilles
02-21-2012, 01:15 PM
I find compressed air to be a must when detailing interiors. I also use it to blow out the nooks and crannies on the exterior after a wash, but a leaf blower or Master Blaster will be more effective in drying the exterior of the car.

+1

I use it to blow out all the nookes and crannies before I towel dry the car. It doesn't blow out a large enough stream of air to actually dry the whole car though.

tw33k2514
02-21-2012, 01:47 PM
I use a compressor for so many things when I detail a car.

cleaning pads
blowing out crevices
blowing interiors
blowing the inside of my gloves so they dont stick when i put on a new pair....

Rav777
02-21-2012, 03:53 PM
I use a compressor for so many things when I detail a car.

cleaning pads
blowing out crevices
blowing interiors
blowing the inside of my gloves so they dont stick when i put on a new pair....

:iagree: You can also dry wheels with it and use air guns to apply dressing (still need to try mine out). I also check the tire pressure on my clients cars and fill them when they need air, and I usually get an extra tip out of that. Just make sure the tires are not nitrogen filled.

nickgodfrey
02-21-2012, 04:45 PM
I use straight compressed air to clean vents, cracks, buttons and switches, all kinds of little spaces. For now I just have a little two gallon Husky compressor that does the job. If I get a Tornador I figure I'll have to get something bigger.

slidder
02-21-2012, 05:33 PM
I have a few questions that Im lost on. I have a LARGE RIGID wet/dry vac that I use when Im washing a car. I use the large crevice tool and I use the filtered exhaust vent to turn the van into a high powered blower. As Im drying I lead with the end of the tool to blow out water from every crack, headlights, trim, mirrors etc. The result is a FAST shiny spot free wash and dry job. I had a smaller van that I did the same thing with but the hose was a lot smaller therefore the air output wasn't nearly as great. Im thinking of buying an air compressor and perhaps doing the same thing with that instead. Since the air is more concentrated does that mean it won't work as effectively?

Whats the smallest compressor I can use the TORNADOR attachment with and still have it work as it should?

Air compressors can be a great tool in drying any vehicle. However, if your air compressor doesn't have a "drain plug" on the underside of it, "don't" us it. What happens if you keep any air in the compressor it will turn to condensation which will then lead to rust. You surely don't want rust blowing against your paint.

slidder
02-21-2012, 07:17 PM

This is a tad expensive but I have to admit, it will blow water out of any place on any vehicle. Metro Air Force Master Blaster, Metro Air Force Motorcycle Dryer - Videos & Reviews (http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/69A3939A0A0.aspx?kc=ffproduct&gclid=CJOkrNylsK4CFakbQgod2W8FRg)

I also have this little one. Little does not mean less. I use this
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM5946696504P?sid=IDx20101019x00001 a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM5946696504)
also once I have performed the water sheeting procedure. It just takes a little longer to dry the vehicle.

Jacob Perry
02-21-2012, 08:50 PM
If you didnt want to spend the money on a air compressor check out the master blaster mini.

Metro Air Force Blaster Sidekick, Motorcycle Blow Dryer, Portable Dryer Metro Blaster Sidekick (http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/69A3936A0A0.aspx?green=97FBB31A-75D3-5806-B4E4-9A1F2C85BD2E)

Kris R
02-21-2012, 11:11 PM
If you didnt want to spend the money on a air compressor check out the master blaster mini.

Metro Air Force Blaster Sidekick, Motorcycle Blow Dryer, Portable Dryer Metro Blaster Sidekick (http://www.autoanything.com/car-care/69A3936A0A0.aspx?green=97FBB31A-75D3-5806-B4E4-9A1F2C85BD2E)

thats actually pretty cool. if that can match the drying power of my big shop vac i will get one.

ShineTimeDetail
02-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Do you guys have water separators for the compressor?

Robert8194
02-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Do you guys have water separators for the compressor?

I do not have a water separator; only the drain on the bottom of tank that I open and blow out periodically.

ShineTimeDetail
02-22-2012, 01:52 PM
I constantly have water in the lines so using it on paint doesn't work well