PDA

View Full Version : When is it time to wet sand?

valleybacker
02-20-2012, 04:26 PM
Mike,
I've had these spots on the back of my corvette since I bought it 2 years ago. In that time I've learned about detailing, bought a PC 7424 XP, have since moved on to a rotary (although I'm not confident enough in it to tackle these spots).

I've used Menzerna IP, WG TSR 3.0, even tried 3M compound. Used a 5.5 inch yellow and Orange CCS pads. No avail.

I have no clue what these spots are, but they just won't come up.

I'm getting frustrated with it.

Thanks,
Tim

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/471877_10100630507509949_25802350_51162958_9023820 01_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/478316_10100630507335299_25802350_51162957_6064748 74_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/334913_10100630505978019_25802350_51162949_9013791 10_o.jpg

Setec Astronomy
02-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Are they raised? What do they feel like when you run your hand over them?

Fiji blue si guy715
02-20-2012, 04:35 PM
From the pictures it looks to be the beginnings of clear coat failure, sanding will only make it worse

SATMAN40
02-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Had some tracers on my vet used 1500, I'd start with 3000 and some dish soap save the CC take it slow..

Used some 105 and then went to Menzerna with my Flex, sure made a difference.

opie_7afe
02-20-2012, 05:05 PM
i agree with it looking like CC failure, but then again there just pictures and alot can look like a bad thing, as setec asked are they raised or flat? if raised its most likely some kind of contaminant or overspray, if flat then it could be CC failure especially if you already tried some sort of abrasive polish and did not do anything. let me ask another question is it cloudy looking around those dots from viewing overhead? if its cloudy(looks so to me) its CC failure for sure, i had it on a few vehicles, some started as dots and eventually peeled up, most recent was starting to look cloudy then it spread more and im sure by now its white and starting to fail(due to previous owner) but anyways i hope its not CC failure, it could be solvent pop and has polish in the dots but im not suspecting that.good luck!

Mike Phillips
02-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Looks like some type of pin holes "throughout" the paint.

Have these areas been repainted?

Maybe get a strong magnifying glass and carefully inspect to see make sure if they are topical or below surface defects.

If they are below the surface as in some type of pinholes then removing them can be risky because the clear top coat will tend to be thin.

:)

Setec Astronomy
02-20-2012, 05:33 PM

It almost looks like some chemical damage, I see sort of a runoff trail, rather than an even distribution.

valleybacker
02-20-2012, 05:52 PM
i agree with it looking like CC failure, but then again there just pictures and alot can look like a bad thing, as setec asked are they raised or flat? if raised its most likely some kind of contaminant or overspray, if flat then it could be CC failure especially if you already tried some sort of abrasive polish and did not do anything. let me ask another question is it cloudy looking around those dots from viewing overhead? if its cloudy(looks so to me) its CC failure for sure, i had it on a few vehicles, some started as dots and eventually peeled up, most recent was starting to look cloudy then it spread more and im sure by now its white and starting to fail(due to previous owner) but anyways i hope its not CC failure, it could be solvent pop and has polish in the dots but im not suspecting that.good luck!

I just went and did the feel test. They are definitely raised ever so slightly. Not all of them, but the majority are raised. It looks like the cloud surrounding them is actually "smear" from the buffer (because the cloudy smear all follows the same pattern from the dot to a northeastern movement)

Have these areas been repainted?

Maybe get a strong magnifying glass and carefully inspect to see make sure if they are topical or below surface defects.

If they are below the surface as in some type of pinholes then removing them can be risky because the clear top coat will tend to be thin.

:)

Mike thanks for the reply. All original paint, it's a 2008 fwiw. I'll get a mag glass tomorrow at the store and check it out. What exactly are "pinholes"?

Only thing chemically I could think of - is that I lived in on post housing (military) back in 2009, and they had some company come and power spray/clean the outside of the houses including the garage door. They used a "bleach based" solution. I remember it getting through the garage door and landing on my car. But I quickly cleaned it off and thought nothing of it.

Setec Astronomy
02-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Oh boy...I bet it was the bleach.

valleybacker
02-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Oh boy...I bet it was the bleach.

I'm guessing that's not good.

Setec Astronomy
02-20-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm guessing that's not good.

If they feel raised...that's a good thing...unless the paint is bubbled up from the bleach.

RhetoricMixes
02-20-2012, 07:04 PM
I say it was bleach also, but what if he wiped it off immediately? How long does bleach have to stand on paint before it makes it swell?

Kristopher1129
02-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Looks like pin holes from a repaint. Wet sanding unfortunately will not help you.

valleybacker
02-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Wanted to give everyone an update, it turns out it's a resprayed panel.

I'm guessing the dealership or factory did it. More than likely guessing dealership in florida.

What's interesting is that the original owner had the rear hatch adjusted, and rear carpet replaced at 1k miles. I find this interesting because not only did the dealer do a crappy job on the paint job and prep. But apparently also on protecting the area, and realigning it afterwards.

But found fish eyes, and the edge of the hatch is rough.

I'm gonna take it to a few shops and get estimates.

Mike Phillips
02-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Wanted to give everyone an update, it turns out it's a resprayed panel.

Thanks for the follow-up...

Lets all hope you don't have to experience a horror story like so many others...

The story of 3 H's - Horrendous, Horror Story and Hack Detailers... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28142-story-3-h-s-horrendous-horror-story-hack-detailers.html)

Keep us updated...

:xyxthumbs: