PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on small stuff...

packbacker1981
02-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Hello all! I have a 2008 Super Air Nautique 210 that I have kept in as near perfect condition as you can get, since it was brand new. The boat shines like no other and refects like glass. My only thing that bothers me...and only me, is that in direct halogen or fluorescent lights you can just barely see a few tiny, ultra fine scratches. Even in direct sunlight, you can't see them. Keep in mind the boat looks brand new and I have worked tirelessly to keep it this way...especially since it's solid black. I guess my other questions is, am I being too anal? I mean the boat is slick and like a mirror. These scratches are so fine, it is almost like they are underneath the gel, but they aren't. I think the DA might be enought with a purple wool pad, but I'm not sure. Any help advice that any of you can give me is appreciated about what product or pads to use. Thanks guys. Here are some pics if that helps.

RhetoricMixes
02-20-2012, 12:55 PM
On the pic you took with the flash, those dont really look like ultra fine scratches to me. They look like regular ol swirls to me, are you saying that youve used a DA with a wool pad and this is what it left afterwards? If so youll definetly have to follow up with a polish to remove any swirls induced by the compound.

packbacker1981
02-20-2012, 02:56 PM
I realize that it looks like that with the flash, but that is the way the flash shows up for some reason... In the direct light you can see that it is ultra fine scratches, not swirls. I haven't used anything yet this season, I'm just trying to figure out what I need to use to get them out. I feel like the DA and purple wool pad will be enough, because they are not noticible unless you get in the exact perfect light, otherwise the boat is perfect with no swirls or holograms.

RhetoricMixes
02-20-2012, 05:06 PM
i think a DA with a wool pad would be too harsh just to get rid of some fine scratches. Id try a white LC pad or something similar first, then go from there.

Rix6
02-20-2012, 10:39 PM
I think those scratches are from fish teeth swimming into the thing, not knowing the reflection was a boat or some other man-made unnatural thing. Have you noticed strange behavior from other boaters on the lake when this visual aberration comes into their peripheral vision? A strange stealth object and suddenly people are poking out from it? Or maybe all they see is some rope and skier or two, and then suddenly, a reflection of their own boat! Seriously, I don't think a boat was meant to reflect light like that!

If all you're getting is a few light scratches, you must have that thing in the cleanest lake in the country. In my experience, large bodies of water usually have enough stuff in them, that scratches are going to be unavoidable. If you don't want it scratched, don't put it in the water. Or buff them out when you feel the need. It's not like you are going to burn through the gel-coat anytime soon.

BTW, awesome job polishing your boat. It's a work of art. :dblthumb2:

glen e
02-20-2012, 10:47 PM
you really can't get at them - they are below the surface and just part of the gel coat substructure, caused by hull flex....it is called crazing or mini crazing...just keep it polished and you'll be fine.....you could strip it down to gel with dawn and use some glaze but it will wash out quickly - you also are working with black gelcoat which is temperamental and revealing...just go have fun.....or you could paint it like a car like mine:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/paint/DSC00006Small.jpg

KKYS
02-21-2012, 05:47 AM
glen e, your rub rail is looking a little neglected. :)

packbacker1981
02-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone, especially Rix6...you had me rolling, because you sound like all of my friends. Thanks for the compliments also.

glen e - I always thought that this was the case, I just wasn't sure. It really does look like they are in the gel, so I guess I was right. Brand new, I polished the boat with a rotary and wool pad because the factory did a terrible job. I had it spotless, but I could still see the small ultra fine marks underneath. Would you mind pm'ing me with some details about your automotive paint on your boat, how they did it, how it's holding up, etc., and cost if you don't mind. Thanks.

Well good news is that I'm not crazy, unless you ask my friends. They laugh at how well I treat the boat, but they always help too. The boat gets quick detailed before and after every time in the lake. Unfortunately, my lake is extremely dirty water that is fed by a dark clay river. You can only see about 2 - 3 ft. down in the water on a good day. This boat has been a ton of work to keep clean, but I love it and wouldn't change anything about it. The boat will be going in my shop next Monday and I will start the process. As soon as I start working on it, I will post pictures of my progress. Thanks everyone!

glen e
02-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Painting your boat will be about $100 a foot. Can be done by any auto body shop - keep the paint above the water line. It is just like a car - epoxy primer, base coat and clear coat.

Gelcoat will only get glossy so far - it will never look like glass like paint. And it starts going bad again as soon as you put the buffer down as it is open to the elements. Paint seals it. There is no maintenance after you are done except car wash soap. I've waxed once in 6 years...recently played with sealants but it was glass to start.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/detailing/DSC00746Small.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/paint/DSC03596Small.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/pullingthetape.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/beforeglazingSmall.jpg
a friend's jupiter
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/gersly123/redoutside2.jpg

Hatchman
02-25-2012, 05:51 AM
Looks great! Better than 99.99% of all boats on the water. I think I would leave it, but if you have to go at it, try a white LC pad with a good polish. I'm going to hit my boat today with the LC whites and compare with the Shurhold black pads using YB Pro Polish.

And when I'm done, it will still be no where as good as yours is right now. Ha!

Diversion
04-01-2012, 04:00 PM
That boat looks great...what products have you been using? My boat is black and it still looks good but not as good as yours. Need to know your secret other than hard work.

packbacker1981
04-17-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm almost done with the boat! I have been working like crazy to get it finished by the start of the season and it shouldn't be much longer. I've come to realize that most of the light scratches that I am seeing are in the gel. A dark color boat isn't going to be like a car when it comes to fluorescent lighting and direct lighting. You're not going to get all of the fine stuff out, but in the sunlight (really the only place it matters) you can't see anything but a perfect gloss finish. I will post pics when I am done.

Diversion - I have used a handful of products, but the main things that I have been using is the Poorboys line of polishes followed last by FK Big White or Megiars #16 (if you can still find it lol).