PDA

View Full Version : Help! Clear coat overspray on rear window

ltoman
03-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Ok, here is the situation - somehow, upon repainting my son's Honda, my husbang got clearcoat, we think, on the back window. We can't get it off!!
Besides claying claying, what can we do? It feels dry and hard.

Any input is appreciated!!

LaurenFeed back please Feed back please

greg'sgoat
03-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Why not just clay? I see that as being the easist. I am sure you could by a 2 step glass resto kit, but I would try clay on the glass first. You won't even have to re-apply and wax or anything since it isn't on the paint.

OCDetails
03-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Mineral spirits will take care of it. You could also try WD-40 and see if that helps. Like Greg said, clay is always a good way to get rid of overspray. Sometimes when it is is too solid you can't get the clay to work, so using some mineral spirits first and then claying off the rest usually is a good process.

To apply the mineral spirit you should just soak a rag with it and lay it over the affected area. Let it soak in for a few minutes and then wipe it down with another rag. It should come right off.

Oh, a razor blade is also a suggestion. On glass it might work. That isn't something I'd try on paint, but if you are careful then you should get good results on glass.

ltoman
03-05-2007, 10:37 PM
thank you... will give it a shot. i told my son come complin to me after claying!! we shall see though.

AUdakota
03-05-2007, 10:47 PM
I think avon makes a product called skin so soft it has three big S's on the bottle and that will take off just about anything. If not have you tried some carb cleaner.

ltoman
03-06-2007, 12:43 AM
I think avon makes a product called skin so soft it has three big S's on the bottle and that will take off just about anything. If not have you tried some carb cleaner.

yes, i know what you mean - i sell Avon! lol Really??
Carb cleaner - they still produce that? I guess so - the classics. hmmmm..
Thanks!!!
i will be busy this weekend!

AUdakota
03-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Trust me on that Skin So Soft, it will take spray paint off your skin like its nothing so i would give it a shot. If not yeah they still sell carb cleaner although I think it has become weaker with time, the older cans we have at home are the ones to use for big oil spills and what not.

See and you all probly thought I was just some lifted truck driving redneck from Alabama. When in actuality im a tender young man who wants to keep his skin looking good.

Hahaha I dont know where that came from but my mom used to have it and it took some pine sap off my truck so I thought it might work.

ltoman
03-06-2007, 01:25 AM
Trust me on that Skin So Soft, it will take spray paint off your skin like its nothing so i would give it a shot. If not yeah they still sell carb cleaner although I think it has become weaker with time, the older cans we have at home are the ones to use for big oil spills and what not.

See and you all probly thought I was just some lifted truck driving redneck from Alabama. When in actuality im a tender young man who wants to keep his skin looking good.

Hahaha I dont know where that came from but my mom used to have it and it took some pine sap off my truck so I thought it might work.

oh gosh i never thought you were a redneck! silly boy!!!
lol
hee hee
took off pine sap? that is impressive.
i am sure the ladies like the truck and the smooth hands!!!;)

thank you for your help!
lauren

Craig
03-06-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm sure you heard of steel wool, there is a bronze wool. Bronze wool will remove it without scratching the glass. Where to get it?:confused: Good luck, the only place I know of is on the net. If you want the info pm me and I'll send the link.:D

ASPHALT ROCKET
03-06-2007, 02:40 PM
A razor blade or 0000 steel wool should do the trick.

ScottB
03-06-2007, 05:05 PM
I would clay, then polish, and finally steel wool as a final offering. Usually a little elbow is all thats needed to remove from glass. You might need a more abrasive clay, if using the poly clay from Pinnacle.

ltoman
03-06-2007, 05:14 PM
I would clay, then polish, and finally steel wool as a final offering. Usually a little elbow is all thats needed to remove from glass. You might need a more abrasive clay, if using the poly clay from Pinnacle.

Isn't the super strength clay supposed to be red? Do I need that red one by Meg's?
I only use Pinnacle on the vette. Clay Magic on the others. Is that tough enough? Isn't there stronger?
Lauren:cheers: