PDA

View Full Version : I skipped a car show this weekend

OCDetails
03-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Even though I had a car that I detailed in the show, I didn't go to it. It was a huge 'autorama' car show indoors at the big Expo center in town. I don't know about you guys, but I can't stand car shows hardly. The level of 'clean' that some people think is acceptable just drives me nuts. I think my OCD has finally gotten to the point that I can't attend a show unless I'm judging it. lol Anyone else cringe when you see what passes for a show car these days?

Nuke33
03-05-2007, 07:01 PM
HEHE, its such an adiction isnt it?

trhland
03-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Even though I had a car that I detailed in the show, I didn't go to it. It was a huge 'autorama' car show indoors at the big Expo center in town. I don't know about you guys, but I can't stand car shows hardly. The level of 'clean' that some people think is acceptable just drives me nuts. I think my OCD has finally gotten to the point that I can't attend a show unless I'm judging it. lol Anyone else cringe when you see what passes for a show car these days?i totoly agree with you on that i go to car shows all the time and walking around i look at other trucks and cars and all isee is swirls.. most people think waxing is going to get rid of them

OCDetails
03-05-2007, 07:39 PM
I did see a pretty sweet wax that hid swirls really well. It was called Carnu-B. I saw it demonstrated at a trade show and it really did an awesome job of filling in swirls. If it wasn't a cleaner wax, and if I wasn't so opposed to the whole concept of hiding swirls when you should be removing them, then it would be something I would consider using on show cars. Under the trade show lighting (which is the same lighting as most car shows) it really did hide every swirl on the test hood they were demonstrating it on. I bought two bottles just because I was so impressed. If it lasts as long as they say it does, then it is going to make a good one step product that will help improve the appearance of cars when the owners don't want to pony up the extra bucks to remove the swirls.

Stittville Ed
03-05-2007, 07:43 PM
I know that most of the cars come out of a body/paint shop are near perfect.
I know most of the people who build these cars are very smart but just don't understand how to detail a car.
Not much information on detailing to be found if your not one of us :)
I get a few calls asking what to do and where to buy supplies.

trhland
03-05-2007, 08:30 PM
I did see a pretty sweet wax that hid swirls really well. It was called Carnu-B. I saw it demonstrated at a trade show and it really did an awesome job of filling in swirls. If it wasn't a cleaner wax, and if I wasn't so opposed to the whole concept of hiding swirls when you should be removing them, then it would be something I would consider using on show cars. Under the trade show lighting (which is the same lighting as most car shows) it really did hide every swirl on the test hood they were demonstrating it on. I bought two bottles just because I was so impressed. If it lasts as long as they say it does, then it is going to make a good one step product that will help improve the appearance of cars when the owners don't want to pony up the extra bucks to remove the swirls.were can i pick up some

trhland
03-05-2007, 08:35 PM
i found the web site it says the wax doesnt have any fillers in it

OCDetails
03-05-2007, 08:44 PM
It may not have fillers, but it is one of those nice products that greases up the surface with oils that do all the hiding for you. It would be good for a few days worth of protection until the oils evaporate and the swirls come back. I'm seriously not impressed by products often, and knowing what I know about car care I made sure to grill the guy at the trade show. This is really an impressive product. He showed me the difference between wiping it off with a microfiber versus a soft cotton towel. The nap of the microfiber wipes the oils out of the swirls, whereas the diaper cloth left nothing but a perfect surface. I may have to seperate one of my bottles into several samples so I can spread the word about that stuff. For a liquid wax it is really something interesting to consider. It won't replace my Liquid Souveran or Wolfgang anytime soon, but I can definitely see a use for it. Indoor Car Show vehicles in particular.

sparkie
03-05-2007, 10:05 PM
I was at a dealership today, and about every vehicle out there had swirls in the paint. I look around the side of the building and there was a guy washing a new truck with a dirty rag, Dawn and look like a dollar bucket from wal-mart.
Talk to a salesman about a suv for my wife, told him they needed to take off 500 bucks for paint damage. He was like confused? I show him the swirls and he said "all cars have them". Had him look a my truck and he couldn't fine any. So I may need to tell him next time I'm up there about your Carnu-B.:D

OCDetails
03-05-2007, 10:54 PM
I hate that. I told a salesman at a Honda dealership that if what was on the showroom floor was their idea of quality, then I wouldn't ever buy a car from them. They had a brand new Civic on the floor with buffer burn so bad on it that I would have probably filed a lawsuit against the detailer. I couldn't believe they would put it on the floor with that kind of damage. It is amazing what people don't see on cars.

Surfer
03-05-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't go to car shows anymore, can't stand the influx of fart can gangsta wannabes there, and the kids who think their Stang came from the factory with 600 horsepower and actually pop the hood and its stock, lol.

I know my #### as my whole family races and I do as well, so it irks the hell outta me lol. Cannot stand hearing people talk/brag about stuff they know nothing about, made quite a few offers to meet at road course track but they never seem to accept:D

Jimmie
03-06-2007, 12:42 AM
The cars at Barrett Jackson look OK on TV but this sheds new light on it. I always wondered who detailed the cars there. Maybe an opportunity for someone from Florida or Arizona to step in and help them out for a price.

Surfer
03-06-2007, 12:30 PM
The cars at Barrett Jackson look OK on TV but this sheds new light on it. I always wondered who detailed the cars there. Maybe an opportunity for someone from Florida or Arizona to step in and help them out for a price.Thing is with Barrett Jackson and other high end auctions, they want the cars as original as possible, and that includes swirls galore and any scratches lol, sounds stupid but that's how it is. Usually their done up witha quick cleaning and wax but thats about it. An original Shelby Cobra that was the highest sold for that model looked like the paint was cleaned with steel wool.

And if you had a repaint, you get dinged for that.

ltoman
03-06-2007, 01:29 PM
i found the web site it says the wax doesnt have any fillers in it

Tom,
Your inbox is full! Clear your pm's!
Lauren :)

ltoman
03-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Thing is with Barrett Jackson and other high end auctions, they want the cars as original as possible, and that includes swirls galore and any scratches lol, sounds stupid but that's how it is. Usually their done up witha quick cleaning and wax but thats about it. An original Shelby Cobra that was the highest sold for that model looked like the paint was cleaned with steel wool.

And if you had a repaint, you get dinged for that.

Yikes, that is horrible!! I can't believe it. Swirls look so bad!!!!!