PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Chrome/Steel Wheels

bravozulu
02-17-2012, 07:10 PM
I bought some of Griot's Chrome Wheel cleaner along with the 3-finger mitts from from AG. My Toyota Camry is 18 years old. I had the wheels acid washed about 5 months ago.

Today I used the Griot's and the foam finger-mitts to clean them and there are a few surfaces where the chrome looks like it has scum or the beginning of corrosion on it. Would I have better luck with the Griot's Cleaner if I used an MF pad instead of the mitt?

Or should I get more aggressive with something like Brillo or vinegar? The car was just painted and I want the best for it.

Gary
Santa Monica

ryanmcg1
02-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Try a abrasive chrome polish maybe Meg's or use a dawn/car soap mix and 0000 steel wool and rub out just the spots where the corrosion or pitting is starting to occur the seal in with a metal sealant like blackfires or a paint sealant will do fine for now. Maybe post some pics to help

Jacob Perry
02-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Collinite 845 and steel wool.

FUNX650
02-17-2012, 11:13 PM
I bought some of Griot's Chrome Wheel cleaner along with the 3-finger mitts from from AG. My Toyota Camry is 18 years old. I had the wheels acid washed about 5 months ago.

Today I used the Griot's and the foam finger-mitts to clean them and there are a few surfaces where the chrome looks like it has scum or the beginning of corrosion on it. Would I have better luck with the Griot's Cleaner if I used an MF pad instead of the mitt?

Or should I get more aggressive with something like Brillo or vinegar? The car was just painted and I want the best for it.

Gary
Santa Monica

-Acid-washing is used in the chromium plating process of wheels...Didn't realize it was done, or needed to/should be done, to already-chromed wheels.
(I use acid-washing/etching for concrete surfaces, like garage floors, for example)

-Do you know what acid was used to acid-wash your chrome wheels?
What's the reason/suggestion that this be done?

-Corrosion/pitting is usually a sign of the beginning of chrome-plating failure.

-I never use anything harsh, or aggressive, like steel-wool, Brillo Pads, or their ilk, on chrome-plating. Others may though.

-After all, the chrome-plating is only a few millionths of an inch thick...Almost impossible to not "break-through" the chrome-plating while attempting to polish out the scratches caused by harsh, abrasive products...Thereby creating even more 'failure opportunities'.

-IMO...Your best bet, before replacement of your wheels is necessary for your vehicle's: "I want the best for it" look, is to clean them up with the wheel cleaner; then, as suggested earlier, seal them up until doomsday occurs.

-The bearer of: Perhaps bad news...Be I.
Hope not, though.

:)

Bob

ScottB
02-17-2012, 11:32 PM
I too thought of chrome polish first ... then considering what it is if it isnt removed thru a light polishing.

Vegas Transplant
02-18-2012, 08:41 AM
18 years old- key statement.
I agree with Fun & Killer.
If you look at an image of clear coat failure then maybe you'll understand what I'm expressing.

bravozulu
02-18-2012, 04:51 PM
thanks to all of you. i washed the car late in the day and it was in shade. I looked at it this morning in the bright sun and the chrome is flawless. FALSE ALARM.

Lucky me. That Griot's wheel cleaner sure does a nice job. I think I can answer my own question about MF pads and clothes used in cleaning. I've only towel-dried with MF, so I don't really understand what the excitement is about. I polish the car next week with an ROS, so I'll try the microfiber cloths at removing the compound after buffing.

Vegas Transplant
02-18-2012, 04:58 PM
I guess I should have read your thread a little more closely, OP.
Happy detailing...