PDA

View Full Version : Such an entrepreneur...

Pages : [1] 2

Ryansdetailing
02-17-2012, 02:58 PM
WELL, after months of debating i finally did it...just purchased a 2006 extended cab ford f-150. My father in law gave me a 6x9 trailer and toolbox FOR FREE! Tomorrow I am going equipment shopping..generator, pressure washer, tanks, pump and air compressor. My only worry is the water run off, I think im going to purchase a 10x20 mat with 4" sides and a small pump to pump the run off back into a tank in the truck. I will use the waterless/rinseless wash when possible but want to be prepared. Im taking a huge risk! but will pray that everything works just right! Ill post pics of the truck later!

alko
02-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Congrats man!!! Very awesome to hear this!

Stang Man
02-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Is runoff a big deal where you are located?

It hasn't caught on here in Texas, yet.

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2012, 03:05 PM
Is runoff a big deal where you are located?

It hasn't caught on here in Texas, yet.

It's actually a federal law, it's just that the enforcement is delegated to the state DEP's, who usually delegate it to the local authorities, so enforcement varies quite a bit around the country.

Ryansdetailing
02-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Thankyou! Im not real sure, going to do some asking around before buying the mat. In a residential area where i would be washing at someones house, i dont think it would be a big deal, but in a business parking lot i think it would be a concern.

Stang Man
02-17-2012, 03:37 PM
It's actually a federal law, it's just that the enforcement is delegated to the state DEP's, who usually delegate it to the local authorities, so enforcement varies quite a bit around the country.

Gotcha- I've only ever detailed cars in driveways or business parks, so it hasn't been an issue Im the MAN

Ryansdetailing
02-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Theres no way im spending $3000 on a honda generator, whats another way to sound proof a generator? Build a box?

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Gotcha- I've only ever detailed cars in driveways or business parks, so it hasn't been an issue Im the MAN

It doesn't matter, if the water is running off into a storm sewer or a body of water, you are violating the federal Clean Water Act.

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Theres no way im spending $3000 on a honda generator, whats another way to sound proof a generator? Build a box?

leave the top open, or you'll overheat it. Also have to make sure you're not restricting the air intakes (combustion or cooling).

Jacob Perry
02-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Theres really no way to silence a generator. One tip is if you know someone who does metal work have him build you a exaust. It will help a little bit. If you can mount it as far away from you as possible if your worried about sound.

Ryansdetailing
02-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Im more less worried about the noise in a residential area. I like the muffler idea but the box would be easier. I was thinking about drilling holes in it for heat and combustion concerns.

Ryansdetailing
02-17-2012, 07:34 PM
I found out that the new generators with oversized mufflers are around 68-70 DB. suppose thats about the sound of traffic (google). I cant decided to go with a gas or electric pressure washer! I do not want to go anything over 2600 psi.

shoeless89
02-17-2012, 11:36 PM
Congrats man! Sounds really exciting

art72
02-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Thankyou! Im not real sure, going to do some asking around before buying the mat. In a residential area where i would be washing at someones house, i dont think it would be a big deal, but in a business parking lot i think it would be a concern.

This is something I have been stressing out about here in Florida.

After pricing the mats... I really can't afford one yet:( -I too have been scoping out businesses with large parking lots in high traffic areas hopeful to do enough basic car washes to build a client base from a 'fixed' location, but don't want the hassle of being busted for violating any laws, naturally.

However, from what I have gathered each car might account for maybe 10-15 gallons of water (max), so if 10 cars is a practical goal to shoot for, that's only 100 - 150 gallons of water per day... and IMHO trying to reclaim such a small amount is total bs!!! After all, I have pressure cleaned commercial properties using tons of water and they don't reclaim any of the water used in my experience.

Like you Ryan I am a bit concerned, as I currently have the extended van, PW, Gen, 250 gal tank, vacuum, most cleaning supplies, and planned to have a lic/ins before I touch a vehicle. Being I am just now getting the 12v pump and plumbing done this week, I was hoping to have basic lic/ins by March 1st and be rolling.

If I don't find a 'location' to jump-start the business with basic car washes, it could severely impact my future goals of offering a full mobile detailing service. Worst case scenario, I imagine they (*whomever controls the spice) would issue a warning before slapping someone with a fine... but with my luck, that wouldn't be the case.

On the generator, mine is pretty loud (*Troy-Bilt 3550 watt cont w/ B&S motor)), but I have been looking into getting a 2000 watt power inverter, a secondary marine battery (*like a 750 cold cranking amp) and a battery charger to re-charge the battery at night for a quieter operation, and less gas usage.. Another option is to boost the alternator size and run the inverter from the existing battery... but I don't really like that idea.

Ryansdetailing
02-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Been a long day of shopping! Got a 125 gallon tank, 12 volt DC bypass pump, briggs and stratton 1700psi PW, air compressor, 50ft air hose with reel, 50 ft ext cord and reel and not sure im going to keep it or not but a centurion 3250 generator.

How many of you are just running your pump with a car battery? I plan on running it with the 2 prong dc wires and mounting a seperate battery on my trailer. Planning on using a trickle charger to recharge the battery when the trailer is in my garage.

As far as the water reclaimation, im going to talk to some people in my area about the run off. I dont think it will be a big deal, if it is i will not let it set me back. Im wondering if its possible to just use a tarp and suckup the water with a shopvac. OR just use the tarp as a device to throw the authorities off. LOL,