PDA

View Full Version : Is there a tire dressing that won't streak off in the rain?

Pages : [1] 2

SRTSean
02-17-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure if it's just because of the design/offset of my wheels, or if there are other options out there that won't allow the water being shed off the wheel when driving in the rain to leave big streaks across the tires. It drives me nuts seeing this and is almost kind of embarrassing.

Here's a picture of what I'm referring to. I haven't tried a ton of different tire dressings, but so far both the Wolfgang Black Diamond and Optimum Opti-bond dressings end up looking like this after a 30 minute drive to work in the wet.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q86/SRT-4aKidsBrother/IMG229.jpg

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Just drive another 30 minutes and it will all be evenly gone.

But seriously, water-based dressing just don't really stand up to the rain that well. For your best shot, clean the tire will with a good alkaline cleaner (Optimum Power-Clean works well, you may need to repeat until your suds aren't brown anymore), let it dry, and put your dressing on, let it dry, buff it down if necessary. If you put the dressing on so thick that it can't dry, it will be less durable.

CEE DOG
02-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Well, perl is water based and will not do that. It does wear off with rain after a couple weeks but it takes a lot more than 1 rain..

Ultima trim and tire guard or WG ETS Will last a month in rain.

Of course opti shouldn't do that so fast either... Clean the tire really good with tire cleaner and brush, rinse, and then wash again using a microfiber towel as the wash media. I have found an mf towel will really get it clean. Then your dressing can attach.

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Ultima trim and tire guard or WG ETS Will last a month in rain.

I really gotta try my WETS on tires...but I have so much other dressing to use up.

SRTSean
02-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll be more aggressive cleaning the rubber this weekend and we'll see how it holds up. I used the Griots Rubber Cleaner last time, but the finger pump sprayer on the small bottle was SO tiring to use that I probably didn't get thorough enough with it.

TornadoRed
02-17-2012, 01:18 PM
<Dumb question>
Are you sure it's the dressing that streaked or is it rain/dirt covering the dressing?
</Dumb question>

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll be more aggressive cleaning the rubber this weekend and we'll see how it holds up. I used the Griots Rubber Cleaner last time, but the finger pump sprayer on the small bottle was SO tiring to use that I probably didn't get thorough enough with it.

That Griot's stuff is pretty weak, if you need to get something OTC you can get the Eagle One A2Z, that works pretty well, or like many of the guys do, just something like Purple Power etc.

SRTSean
02-17-2012, 01:20 PM
I've got a jug of the OPC at home so I'll definitely give that a go next time I clean the tires up.

SRTSean
02-17-2012, 01:21 PM
<Dumb question>
Are you sure it's the dressing that streaked or is it rain/dirt covering the dressing?
</Dumb question>

Yeah, it's the dressing that streaked off. The streaks are all in proximity to the wheel spokes, so I'm pretty sure it's because that where water is shed off the wheels when driving.

tw33k2514
02-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Yeah, A2Z is a pretty awesome tire cleaner.

I think you just need a better dressing and an extra clean tire to begin with.

Also buffing down the dressing is something I consider a must.

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2012, 01:23 PM
I've got a jug of the OPC at home so I'll definitely give that a go next time I clean the tires up.

It does make a huge difference in how long dressings last if you get the tires really clean first, as Corey noted. I bought that red Griot's stuff thinking that would do the trick, but as I said, it's pretty weak and you really need something with a high pH like A2Z, Hi-Temp Tire Cleaner, or a strong APC. As I mentioned before, repeat until you don't get brown suds anymore, one of my cars I had to do it like 6 times.

BobbyG
02-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Give Ultima Tire & Trim Guard a try, you won't be disappointed....:props:

Ultima Tire & Trim Guard (http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-tire-trim-guard.html)

opie_7afe
02-17-2012, 01:39 PM
i dont have this problem with optibond, for some tires(ones that you apply dressing and when you get back to the first tire it looks undressed) you need to do a few applications for it to absorb and build up, but with all tiredressings ive used just taking a old microfiber and buffing off the excess really helps the dressing to dry and stay on, optibond has kept the test vehicles tires black for a good 3 weeks, even through rain did not look like that. i would refine your method, apply to really clean tires and buff off afterwards. and look foward for more products being waterbased. what these companys are doing is removing the solvent adding water and an emulsifier so water based is not all that bad same with durability, just depends if the ingredients used to make the shine/protect tires is water soluble, but for optibond to streak like that leads me to believe the tire was not cleaned enough or not buffed off.

Stang Man
02-17-2012, 01:51 PM
That Griot's stuff is pretty weak, if you need to get something OTC you can get the Eagle One A2Z, that works pretty well, or like many of the guys do, just something like Purple Power etc.

Purple power works great. Spray, let dwell a minute, then scrub well with a brush.

Helps with looks and longevity!

ryanmcg1
02-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Meg's hot shine tire gel, I freakin love this stuff looks great I got a black car and it don't make since to have a nice shiny car and dull excuse me "matte" finish on tires. I never had any slinging or running in the rain last at least a month with me washing my car 1x a week with 1 or two rains. Also I like PERL 2 coats and got a semi shiny satin look not bad I mostly use it on trim and door and window rubbers.