PDA

View Full Version : DA Pad Question

duck_commander
02-17-2012, 12:44 PM
So, this winter i bit the bullet and decided to buy a PC DA and a bunch of supplies to stock up for the spring detailing season :)

I bought the following Lake County 5 1/2 flat foam pads:
2 - Orange
6 - White
2 - Black
2 - Blue

I've also just puchased 2 Optimum MF 5 1/2 pads along with the Optimum Hyper Polish and Hyper Compound...

I'm wondering, and i know a lot of guys have used the Optimum MF pads, what type / color foam pads do the Optimum MF pads resemble when it comes to cutting and polishing power?

i know it's going to depend on how hard the CC is on my vehicles, and it'll be a 'test' i'll have to do. But just as a general reference if anyone out there has used the MF pads, are you using them as 'polishing' or 'compounding' pads... I also understand the product being used with the pads will make a difference... Since this will by my first time using a DA, i'm just wondering can i use the MF pads when compounding, or would i be better off using the Orange LC foam pads?

Any replies are appreciated :hungry:

BobbyG
02-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Your foam pad selection is spot on and if taken care of and cleaned properly should last you a while.

To be honest, I've never tried Optimum's Microfiber Pads but I hear their very good.

I have tried Meguiar's Microfiber DA cutting disks with their D300 correction compound and must admit I was and am impressed. This combination works very well to correct swirls and other like defects and eliminates a lot of swapping of pads and products.

duck_commander
02-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks Bobby.... my tuxedo black pickup truck has minor swirls - i caused these swirls in the fall when the paint was very dusty and should have washed the truck but instead decided to try to use a QD to clean the paint... that was my fault... My DD civic has TONS of swirls and type 2 water spots / etchings from the previous owner... The civic is going to be my 'test' car before i touch the paint on my new truck. :)

Stang Man
02-17-2012, 01:00 PM
So, this winter i bit the bullet and decided to buy a PC DA and a bunch of supplies to stock up for the spring detailing season :)

I bought the following Lake County 5 1/2 flat foam pads:
2 - Orange
6 - White
2 - Black
2 - Blue

I've also just puchased 2 Optimum MF 5 1/2 pads along with the Optimum Hyper Polish and Hyper Compound...

I'm wondering, and i know a lot of guys have used the Optimum MF pads, what type / color foam pads do the Optimum MF pads resemble when it comes to cutting and polishing power?

i know it's going to depend on how hard the CC is on my vehicles, and it'll be a 'test' i'll have to do. But just as a general reference if anyone out there has used the MF pads, are you using them as 'polishing' or 'compounding' pads... I also understand the product being used with the pads will make a difference... Since this will by my first time using a DA, i'm just wondering can i use the MF pads when compounding, or would i be better off using the Orange LC foam pads?

Any replies are appreciated :hungry:

Thats a great mix you got there. I've always used Orange pads, almost exclusively, but picked up a lot of white on the last BOGO, I think the white will fill the gap between swirl removal and LSP quite well.

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I've only used the Meg's MF but I would slot them in about like an orange pad (maybe more like a tangerine HT), which is good, because you didn't buy enough orange pads IMO.

tw33k2514
02-17-2012, 01:34 PM
I can achieve a lot more correction with a MF pad than I can an orange. The MF pads cut a little more than the yellow B&S pads. Don't finish as good but I don't use MF for a 1-step unless the clear is super hard.

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2012, 01:36 PM
I can achieve a lot more correction with a MF pad than I can an orange. The MF pads cut a little more than the yellow B&S pads. Don't finish as good but I don't use MF for a 1-step unless the clear is super hard.

What machine?

tw33k2514
02-17-2012, 01:38 PM
What machine?

Griots

opie_7afe
02-17-2012, 01:48 PM
i agree with setec you should have gotten atleast 4 orange 4 white, trust me i wish i would have bought more orange pads. and weird thing is when im compounding/polishing i will use more orange pads then white as the orange pads remove more material meaning pad cakes up faster ect, white pads go longer as less material removal, polish works longer so you use less product.i would have gotten some yellow pads as well, right now for pads i have 2 orange 2 white 2 black(rarely use the black unless for jeweling) 2 red,1 blue next pad order here soon will be 2 yellow 2 orange 2 white. good luck and hope you enjoy your new purchase.

duck_commander
02-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks Guys! i am not against placing another from AG! LOL

maybe i'll get some more orange and a few yellow pads.

i purchased the black pads to apply Menzerna PO85RD .

The red is for applying Collinite 845.