PDA

View Full Version : My trick to getting rubber tires black and shiny!

Pages : [1] 2

Blade-Runner
02-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Believe it or not but this little trick really works.

First scrub the tires with a degreaser or detergent of your choice and a soft brush. wipe excess water and dirt off the rubber with a terry cloth towel. Let dry.

Apply a professional, premium grade, black shoe polish cream with a terry cloth towel. Let dry. Buff with a soft, horse hair brush, much in the same way you would shine shoes.

Apply a clear, shoe shine product afterward. The one I use is called the shine sponge—A sponge with shine product in it.

You can find these professional, premium products by doing an internet search for shoe polish or shoe care.

Your black rubber tires will be conditioned, look dark, rich black and super shiny!

:cruisin:

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2012, 10:56 AM
How long does that last? Does it provide any UV or ozone protection to the rubber? What happens if you get some on your wheel or painted surface of the car, does it stain?

Blade-Runner
02-17-2012, 11:02 AM
The tires stay black for long time. It can make faded tires look new again. The shine product provides water proofing, so water beads off. Not sure about the UV protection. The clear shine product lasts for about a week or two but is easy to apply with a swipe of the sponge. If you get the black cream on the rims, just wipe it off, it won't stain.

FUNX650
02-17-2012, 11:51 AM
If you get the black cream on the rims, just wipe it off, it won't stain.

Evidently...Black Shoe Polish has made evolutionary and technological advances since I used it on my "George Boots"...Back then it was hard as heck to remove it from my horseshoe-taps! :D

BTW...
Glad you found something you like.

:)

Bob

Stang Man
02-17-2012, 12:39 PM
That shoe polish is quite an idea!

I've found that the biggest tip, IMO, is the degreaser. Clean everything out of the tire before you worry about your protectant! It makes a huge difference in looks and durability.

shoeless89
02-17-2012, 01:07 PM
I think I'll stick with Opti-bond. Easier to apply and I know it works

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2012, 01:10 PM
I think I'll stick with Opti-bond. Easier to apply and I know it works

And you don't have any shoe polish lying around anyway....sorry, I had to...

ShineTimeDetail
02-17-2012, 02:14 PM
And you don't have any shoe polish lying around anyway....sorry, I had to...

Lol no he doesn't have any shoes.

shoeless89
02-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Lol no he doesn't have any shoes.

I have a few pair for special occasions lol

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

Vegas Transplant
02-17-2012, 04:41 PM
My .02. Unless they changed their processes, most of those shoe shine products contain silicone.

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2012, 04:43 PM
My .02. Unless they changed their processes, most of those shoe shine products contain silicone.

And so do all the tire dressings...except maybe TuffShine.

Vegas Transplant
02-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Wow- I learn something new every day- Actually several things.

Setec Astronomy
02-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Pretty much all car products use a silicone of some sort, Amino-alkoxy dimethylsiloxane or other tongue twisters. You'll pretty much see historically the plethora of products that replaced the old Meguiar's #16 and Simonize waxes in a can coincided with the commercialization of silicone chemistry by Dow Corning and GE in the late 60's.

Vegas Transplant
02-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Knowledge and experience for free!

BillE
02-18-2012, 08:49 AM
... "George Boots"...Back then it was hard as heck to remove it from my horseshoe-taps! Bob

EEEGH! You are showing your (our) age! 50 cents for both heels if I remember correctly.

Bill