PDA

View Full Version : PC not oscillating

jessebeetle
02-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Hi guys. I got a PC 7424 about 2 years ago for Christmas. Probably used it about 4 times. Last time I used it I noticed it was no longer oscillating and stopped using it. Instead, it spins in a complete clockwise circle. Has anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions for trouble shooting before I'd take it to a PC repair place?

Mike Phillips
02-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Not saying this is what you're doing but every time I've read a post like this and replied the issue has been the person is not putting any downward pressure on the tool.

Put the speed setting on 6.0
Place clean pad on the backing plate
Place the pad against the paint and hold the body of the tool so the pad is flat against the paint
Turn the tool on
Apply about 15 pounds of downward pressure against the head of the tool

:)

Mike Phillips
02-17-2012, 09:19 AM
There is a phenomena that takes place if you hold the tool with just light to zero pressure on the tool that the pad will actually rotate backwards from normal.

Seen it myself and actually demonstrated it live in front of 60 eyeballs once in a class.

If you want to use this tool to buff out cars then read this thread,

The short how-to guide for using a DA Polisher
How to maximize the ability of the 1st Generation Porter Cable Dual Action Polishers (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27166-how-maximize-ability-1st-gen-porter-cable-dual-action-polishers.html)

:buffing:

Mike Phillips
02-17-2012, 09:20 AM
Oh and since this was your first post to our forum...

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

opie_7afe
02-17-2012, 01:12 PM
first thing i would do is check to see that the center spindle (where backing plate screws on) is rotating freely, if not the bearing is bad.you can also try to move the counterweight by hand, their should be a bit of resistance when you try to move it. but i would give mikes suggestions a try as it took me a bit to realize you need pressure for the machine to work properly. i have realized one flaw on the 7346/7424 and thats the top plate that holds the grease and gears in the plate has no gasket so when the grease heats up it will melt out and leave pools of grease/oil. i since then used some rtv to make a gasket and seems to run better, also helps to replace the grease that was lost(these pc's are packed with grease!) yes i went offtopic but still good info!

jessebeetle
02-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried putting about 15 lbs of pressure on the pad like you said and it appears that that's the ticket to make is oscillate. I guess last time I used it I didn't put enough downforce on it...prolly was too worried about damaging the paint.

shoeless89
02-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried putting about 15 lbs of pressure on the pad like you said and it appears that that's the ticket to make is oscillate. I guess last time I used it I didn't put enough downforce on it...prolly was too worried about damaging the paint.

Its very hard to really damage paint with a PC :)

crackervol
04-19-2012, 09:01 PM
My 7year old + PC just stops spining and oscillating after about 20-30 minutes on the paint. ( VERY IRRITATING ) thats why I'm contimplating the new XP or XP HD.

opie_7afe
04-19-2012, 11:28 PM
what size pads are you using? if their bigger then 5.5" that's part of your problem. heres a few good articles worth reading http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/37769-da-polisher-trouble-shooting-guide.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27166-how-maximize-your-da-polisher.html