PDA

View Full Version : New Optimum MF Pads

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

rwright
02-26-2012, 07:22 PM
It like speed 5? Can input more detail ?
Thanks

BR

I was speaking of the new Optimum mf polishing pad with the thicker foam. My experience over this weekend - on speed 6 my DA started to wobble like it was out of balance, dropped down to speed 5 and it smoothed out. When I used the first pad released with the thin foam on a previous detail, it was a superstar on speed 6. Every situation is different and only time will tell what works best for me. This may not happen to you so please keep that in mind.

AKmikeSSter04
02-29-2012, 07:25 AM
I'm interested in these pads. right now I have megs 105,UC, and ultimate polish. Can i use these products with these pads and do i need the cutting or polishing to remove heavy swirls.

Setec Astronomy
02-29-2012, 07:52 AM
I'm interested in these pads. right now I have megs 105,UC, and ultimate polish. Can i use these products with these pads and do i need the cutting or polishing to remove heavy swirls.

Yes you can use those products with them, and generally you would use one of your compounds on a cutting pad on heavy swirls and follow up with the polish on a polishing pad.

carsmetic
03-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Used the new pads yesterday for the first time. We did half of a black 2005 mazda rx-8. The paint was in really bad shape. Used d300 and d301 in the normal manner. The cut pad seemed to do a better job than the meguiars on defect removal. On flat surfaces it looked to finish nicely. On the rounded areas like the fenders it created a fair amount of hazing. It seemed to have fairly hard paint so removing the hazing requires going over again with a heavy polish foam pad. We do a lot of hondas and hazing has always been a battle using the new mf methods. More time is needed with the new optimum pads to make accurate decisions.
After doing half a car the cut pad was delaminating in the center. The microfiber is not attached to the foam. This also happened to a polish pad after using it with D151 in a one step process on a S2000. Results were fine but the fiber is seperating from the foam in the center. In both the cut and one step process we use heavy pressure at times and run just a click under 5 on a griots. We use the same technigue all the time with the meguiars pads and have not had an issue with pads coming apart for a long time.
Anyone else have issues with the new pads? Any feedback on the hazing issues? We have tried a ton of different things including KBM. Some of the things that seem to help are too time consuming for a production shop and 3 step is defeating the purpose of the mf system concept.

TIA

Setec Astronomy
03-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Yeah, that cutting pad looked awfully coarse in the pics. Let us know if you work out a better combo.

Klasse Act
03-03-2012, 12:57 PM
I've only used the orange and red pads from Griot's, what would I notice with trying the MF pads right away? I have NO complaints with the Griot's pads but would be willing to try something different though. Do they make ones that will just go right onto my stock backing plate?

Klasse Act
03-03-2012, 04:23 PM
I bought one 3" and one 6" today, now I just need the temps to come back up and I can get out there and try them out on my g/f's Mazda 6!

Jacob Perry
03-03-2012, 04:42 PM
ive yet to use mine. Has anyone tried polish with a reg foam pad to finish it off?

drivemax
03-04-2012, 04:56 AM
Used the new pads yesterday for the first time. We did half of a black 2005 mazda rx-8. The paint was in really bad shape. Used d300 and d301 in the normal manner. The cut pad seemed to do a better job than the meguiars on defect removal. On flat surfaces it looked to finish nicely. On the rounded areas like the fenders it created a fair amount of hazing. It seemed to have fairly hard paint so removing the hazing requires going over again with a heavy polish foam pad. We do a lot of hondas and hazing has always been a battle using the new mf methods. More time is needed with the new optimum pads to make accurate decisions.
After doing half a car the cut pad was delaminating in the center. The microfiber is not attached to the foam. This also happened to a polish pad after using it with D151 in a one step process on a S2000. Results were fine but the fiber is seperating from the foam in the center. In both the cut and one step process we use heavy pressure at times and run just a click under 5 on a griots. We use the same technigue all the time with the meguiars pads and have not had an issue with pads coming apart for a long time.
Anyone else have issues with the new pads? Any feedback on the hazing issues? We have tried a ton of different things including KBM. Some of the things that seem to help are too time consuming for a production shop and 3 step is defeating the purpose of the mf system concept.

TIA

HMM ....Quite weird as alot of people switch from Meg Mf to Optimum Mf due to the delaminating problem...Or maybe Meg have updated their pad already ...

Some people have been using rotary with optimum mf pad but meg mf cannot be use at rotary ...

Anyone can confirm this??

BR