PDA

View Full Version : Severe Overspray removal help!

Pages : [1] 2 3

ProMoDe
02-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Hey everyone! I'm struggling with some overspray on a ford pickup. The overspray is from a commercial paint sprayer that was painting the exterior of a large industrial plant. As you can imagine it is tough, thick paint. The overspray occurred 4 days ago. I had to wet sand the hood and roof to remove it from the paint on the vehicle. I have thrown about everything I've got at the bumper and trim and it wont budge. FYI i've tried tarminator with a bug sponge and 0000 steel wool, did a test spot of paint thinner (nothing), denatured alcohol (nothing), magic eraser (lol). I'm not expecting perfection since it is a work truck. It had probably never been washed until yesterday. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

front bumper and grille. I've tried everything!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_41661.JPG
driver's side mirror
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_41682.JPG

driver side badge
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_41692.JPG
hood before wet sand
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/IMG_41632.JPG

ProMoDe
02-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Also, i tried optimum power clean, megs detailing clay, car pro eraser

Vegas Transplant
02-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Sorry, I don't have an answer for you but judging from the last picture, it looks like enamel.

Pressure washer wouldn't cut it ?

Jacob Perry
02-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Laquer thinner. Be careful it will dull the plastic tho. Get something to cover them with when done.

ProMoDe
02-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Pressure washer didn't touch it. The whole truck felt like sand paper. Overspray was hard, textured, dense and raised, it basically ate the clay. Wetsanding worked well, polished out with meg's twins and flex 3401.

ProMoDe
02-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Laquer thinner. Be careful it will dull the plastic tho. Get something to cover them with when done.

What's the difference in paint thinner and lacquer thinner? Just wondering since it laughed at thinner.

opie_7afe
02-16-2012, 09:25 PM
have you tried a plastic razor blade with some QD spray or clay lube sprayed for lubrication? and of course it makes it worse knowing its a work truck and you know it has no protection on it. if you dont have any plastic razor blades try a old credit card see if that helps, never ran into this issue.

Vegas Transplant
02-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Pressure washer didn't touch it. The whole truck felt like sand paper. Overspray was hard, textured, dense and raised, it basically ate the clay. Wetsanding worked well, polished out with meg's twins and flex 3401.

10-04- I really don't have a clue. Good luck.

ProMoDe
02-16-2012, 09:34 PM
have you tried a plastic razor blade with some QD spray or clay lube sprayed for lubrication? and of course it makes it worse knowing its a work truck and you know it has no protection on it. if you dont have any plastic razor blades try a old credit card see if that helps, never ran into this issue.

Yes. I used several actually. A couple passes and the blades were toast. I used it on the glass and a some trim around the door. It didn't help on the mirrors or bumper, or on top of the bed. I have never had this issue and it's very frustrating.

Setec Astronomy
02-16-2012, 09:36 PM
What's the difference in paint thinner and lacquer thinner? Just wondering since it laughed at thinner.

Was the one you used just a single solvent? Some of them are mixtures of several solvents which may help you. Is it epoxy paint? That's going to be tough. Sounds like a job for that guy Jeff Suggs who was polluting the forum here a few months back; maybe you can fly him in to help you :rolleyes:

Jacob Perry
02-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Not too sure to be honest.

Vegas Transplant
02-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Is it epoxy paint?

^^^^^
I think you are correct- in the presure washer not dislodging.

ProMoDe
02-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Was the one you used just a single solvent? Some of them are mixtures of several solvents which may help you. Is it epoxy paint? That's going to be tough. Sounds like a job for that guy Jeff Suggs who was polluting the forum here a few months back; maybe you can fly him in to help you :rolleyes:

That's hilarious! Several times today i thought about that guy. I guess i could squirt a whole bottle of polish on it and sling it everywhere with a rotary.

Setec Astronomy
02-16-2012, 09:54 PM
I guess i could squirt a whole bottle of polish on it and sling it everywhere with a rotary.

No man, the secret is the wool!! Maybe he's on to something, small wool pad with something solventy like PB's Pro Polish? Or here's one that's good on trim that you never hear about anymore, Vanilla Moose!

masterdetail
02-16-2012, 09:55 PM
This is an old skool trick that i have used for a while.

Easy Off oven cleaner. Get the scent free kind

spray it on the area you need to work on generously. dont let it dry, but let sit for a good 5-10 min. i would spray a 4 foot area at a time. get you plastic razor blade, or credit card and scrape the paint off.
MAKE SURE YOU WASH THE TRUCK AFTER.

I have used this method on some pretty serious overspray,road paint ect. it also works to remove stubborn thick painted on pin strips.
I wouldnt do this to remove regular body shop overspray. Just do what u would normally do. ( clay bar, buff, whatever it is that you do.)